Bills roster: under contract, RFA, UFA (Sal C tweet)

Coach Sal tweeted a useful spreadsheet of the Bills players under contract, restricted FA and unrestricted FA (blue) next year.

Thought it would be interesting to look at.  If I missed this elsewhere LMK.

Discuss.

image.thumb.png.691a51f58bc6fcacda65858423d73c57.png

Who/What position are your priorities? 

Recall that RFA gives the team a chance to match a contract offer to the tendered player, or to get a draft pick if they can't/don't match.  The choices of tender are 1st, 2nd, or original round so it's not much help with a player signed from a late round or UDFA.

Priorities to re-sign:

Corey Bojorquez.  He can be maddening, but he can also coffin-corner and turn aside a team's attempts to flip the field.

Daryl Williams.  If the question is "who can play RT?", I don't think Cody Ford is the answer.

Matt Milano.  We may not afford him, but try.

Isaiah McKenzie.  Has that quickness you can't match.

Jon Feliciano.  I hesitate here.  It will depend upon what he wants, but he's the perfect backup center and (both sides) guard

Ike Boettger.  I hope he's depth, but I'm not sold on Cody Ford making it through a season at this point.

Nice to have, make an offer:

Andre Roberts

Dean Marlowe

Andre Smith

Matt Barkley (I think they hope Fromm is the long-term center, but competition is good)

So long:

Trent Murphy

Josh Norman

Brian Winters

Ty Nseckhe (if we can re-sign Williams, and depends on what they think of Bates as a Tackle)

Jordan Devey

Tyler Kroft

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Bills roster: under contract, RFA, UFA (Sal C tweet)

Agreed, my answer would be the same, except I'd say goodbye to Barkley. That noodle arm isn't going to hold up and I don't think he could go .500 if Josh were to miss any time. Lots of solid options out there looking for work that would be an upgrade. If the Panthers make a run at Watson, Teddy B might be a nice #2. If not Brissett, Fitz, Dalton, Tyrod over even Bortles would be upgrades.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

While I agree with most of the name on this list, I think I would downgrade Andre Roberts to the "So Long" category. 

Lifetime numbers

25.8 avg kick return

9.0 avg punt return

Playoff numbers

16.7 avg kick return

4.0 avg punt return

As we saw he cannot be trusted to replace an injured WR, he is not used for jet sweeps, he is a one trick pony, and I don't think the roster spot is worth it anymore. Take a touchback on kickoffs, start at the 25 and trust Josh and the O to move it down field. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

One note: I am not sure Wade should be categorized same as other signed players.  He is signed to a futures contract.

Corey Bojorquez is an example why late round picks. are more of an advantage to teams than undrafted players.

He was a UDFA which means he has a 3 year contract being a UDFA signed by New England which means he is a EFA in 3rd year. A player like Bass who was drafted is not a EFA until 4th year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Klaus said:

While I agree with most of the name on this list, I think I would downgrade Andre Roberts to the "So Long" category. 

Lifetime numbers

25.8 avg kick return

9.0 avg punt return

Playoff numbers

16.7 avg kick return

4.0 avg punt return

As we saw he cannot be trusted to replace an injured WR, he is not used for jet sweeps, he is a one trick pony, and I don't think the roster spot is worth it anymore. Take a touchback on kickoffs, start at the 25 and trust Josh and the O to move it down field. 

I'm inclined "no to Roberts" myself, but what do you do with punt returns then?  They were a little too exciting for me when we had Isaiah McKenzie handling them

49 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

One note: I am not sure Wade should be categorized same as other signed players.  He is signed to a futures contract.

Why?  There are a bunch of players on that list who are futures contracts.  Futures contract just means we've offered and they've signed a 1 year minimum contract that will take effect when the league year starts.  As one explanation states: "They act just like normal contracts, but they do not count against the team until the following season officially begins."

Since it's the 2021 season we're talking about here, seems appropriate

57 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Agreed, my answer would be the same, except I'd say goodbye to Barkley. That noodle arm isn't going to hold up and I don't think he could go .500 if Josh were to miss any time. Lots of solid options out there looking for work that would be an upgrade. If the Panthers make a run at Watson, Teddy B might be a nice #2. If not Brissett, Fitz, Dalton, Tyrod over even Bortles would be upgrades.  

I thought about that.  Then I thought, offer him a contract with a small signing bonus, and keep him through camp to get a better look at Fromm.  As a QB, 100% Fitz is an upgrade, but I agree with the guy who said "I want him nowhere near our team" because the starter always gets hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks!  What I think is helpful about Sal's chart is that he has it broken down by position group.

We are really really heavy on DL.

I can see some of them go.  Expect surprise cuts.  John Brown could be one.  Other teams are in the same boat.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I can see some of them go.  Expect surprise cuts.  John Brown could be one.  Other teams are in the same boat.

What do you guys think of Quinton Jefferson?

I'll be honest, McD/Frazier rotate so much on DL that I gave up on figuring out who was playing where and how well they were doing.

But he stood out to me because he's got one of the smaller dead cap hits.  Horrid reason to single out a player, but that's where we are.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do you guys think of Quinton Jefferson?

I'll be honest, McD/Frazier rotate so much on DL that I gave up on figuring out who was playing where and how well they were doing.

But he stood out to me because he's got one of the smaller dead cap hits.  Horrid reason to single out a player, but that's where we are.

I like him, for the most part. But like some others on that D, he might fit better in a 3-4. Perfect for a 5-tech.

On offense, I'd say keep McKenzie and Daryl Williams and possibly Taiwan Jones because I know he's really valuable on Special Teams even though we don't all see it.  

Let everyone else walk unless you get them on the cheap, which I realize we'll be able to do with a few of them.

I definitely don't want to re-sign Roberts, though.  Not saying he wasn't good at what he did, just that he only did one thing and McKenzie could do that along with other things.

On defense, I really do want to find a way to keep Milano.  No we shouldn't pay him an insane amount of money, but I think it's possible to make both parties happy here.  Beane and McDermott keep talking about keeping their own homegrown talent.  Milano is 100% one of those guys.

Same goes for Wallace, who we'll be able to keep anyway.  Let everyone else go.  I like Dane Jackson as a CB better than Josh Norman and Daryl Johnson better than Trent Murphy, anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  There are a bunch of players on that list who are futures contracts.  Futures contract just means we've offered and they've signed a 1 year minimum contract that will take effect when the league year starts.  As one explanation states: "They act just like normal contracts, but they do not count against the team until the following season officially begins."

Since it's the 2021 season we're talking about here, seems appropriate

I think separating the Futures contract from the other players makes sense.

Also indicating which were starters (if not UFAs) to help visualize the holes.

BillsRoster.png

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Regarding RT, PFF suggests upgrading in the draft as it's a good draft for OTs.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-suggests-bills-offseason-includes-222019003.html

I would rather not do this....but it would not shock me to see the bills let RT Williams walk......draft a RT.....and sign Milano

I dont like it because it doesnt make us immediately better.....but we are in strange times as far as salary cap goes

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lol I found myself doing the same when I didn't see Oliver in the game.  

DT to me is the biggest need on the roster.  I am not counting on Star there better be a real plan here.   

DE is a close 2nd.  

Then RB. 

Breaking news we have a D line problem.  

We really really need AJ and Oliver to be significant contributors.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Coach Sal tweeted a useful spreadsheet of the Bills players under contract, restricted FA and unrestricted FA (blue) next year.

Thought it would be interesting to look at.  If I missed this elsewhere LMK.

Discuss.

image.thumb.png.691a51f58bc6fcacda65858423d73c57.png

Who/What position are your priorities? 

Recall that RFA gives the team a chance to match a contract offer to the tendered player, or to get a draft pick if they can't/don't match.  The choices of tender are 1st, 2nd, or original round so it's not much help with a player signed from a late round or UDFA.

Priorities to re-sign:

Corey Bojorquez.  He can be maddening, but he can also coffin-corner and turn aside a team's attempts to flip the field.

Daryl Williams.  If the question is "who can play RT?", I don't think Cody Ford is the answer.

Matt Milano.  We may not afford him, but try.

Isaiah McKenzie.  Has that quickness you can't match.

Jon Feliciano.  I hesitate here.  It will depend upon what he wants, but he's the perfect backup center and (both sides) guard

Ike Boettger.  I hope he's depth, but I'm not sold on Cody Ford making it through a season at this point.

Nice to have, make an offer:

Andre Roberts

Dean Marlowe

SAndre Smith

Matt Barkley (I think they hope Fromm is the long-term center, but competition is good)

So long:

Trent Murphy

Josh Norman

Brian Winters

Ty Nseckhe (if we can re-sign Williams, and depends on what they think of Bates as a Tackle)

Jordan Devey

Tyler Kroft

Dude, nailed it.  Thanks for sharing.  Agreed in keep, and so long.  In you’re nice to have I would contend maybe Roberts, but the rest Id move to so long.  Roberts is only a very cap friendly plan, but McKenzie can do the job.  Makes him even more valuable if we cut Roberts.