Haason Reddick - free agent I'd love

1 hour ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

No Thanks, his last season is the only good season he had.  If he had more  seasons of consistency then maybe.  He only had 7.5 sack the first 3 years of his career

It's not so much of a good season as it is one game. He had 5 sacks against a Giants team that was forced to put Colt McCoy in. He's an undersized played that has disappointed, and paying him big money in a contract year based on his performance in a contract year is the definition of Fool's Gold in today's NFL. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno. I think it's probably more a story of a talented player finally learning how to play the game and thus pushing himself to an elite level. Guys do actually improve with experience. Also, it's not as if he's out there chasing one final contract. 

I understand, and agree with you, that players do improve and there may be other factors (position changes and scheme changes)

On the other hand....guys actually do push themselves and play above their level when they're looking for that first big payday.

It's a risk, in a cap strapped year.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

But after Paup's great season the next 2 were pedestrian compared to that one especially with Bruce Smith and then the bIlls let him walk.  So I guess I don't know what the point your trying to make is.  He went from 17.5 to 6 to 9.5 to gone to JAX

He was only pedestrian because he tore his groin in the sixth game of the 1996 season. He was never the same again. He was dominating for the first 6 games of 1996. It was injury, not one-dimensionality, that brought him down.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno. I think it's probably more a story of a talented player finally learning how to play the game and thus pushing himself to an elite level. Guys do actually improve with experience. Also, it's not as if he's out there chasing one final contract. 

He’s Shaq Lawson west. Pass.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He is a FA, and he's a lot more appealing to me than Milano (who I also like). I don't think we'll get him, but man, did he blow up this season after a mediocre first three years (young talented players do get better!). He'd 12.5 sacks and finished 3rd in the league in tackles for a loss with 15. That's 27.5 negative yardage plays. He also had SIX forced fumbles and four passes defensed. He also runs a 4.52 40. My guess is that he gets north of $15 million per. One can dream. 

He played 3-4 outside backer for the Cards this season.  Totally different than Will LB (Milanos spot) in our defensive scheme.

If we had him on the team, which i doubt happens, it would be at defensive end...which is where he played at Temple but was undersized according to NFL standards to be a 4-3 end.  Just don't think he's a fit for us, great player though i agree with that

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Seems like something the Bills could try with 49

Something with Tremaine just looks off.  I mean its like he 2nd-guesses himself and overthinks way too much.  Kid will become a star when he just plays with his natural instincts.  

I agree, if switching to the Will LB spot take more off his plate and allows him to play more "free" then I'm all.for it. 

However these coaches need to figure it out, bc they basically took a corvette and swapped it for a safe Volvo.

I get the sense they've done this with Ed Oliver, then trying to tweak Aj Epenesa weight prior to the season...these are 3 men who were beasts in college, athletically super talented and playing them in a way that resembles Chris Kelsays athletic prowess.

Not all on the coaches, I get it, but just feels like we have a scheme that is not playing to our strengths and if allowed.to be more aggressive, could produce better

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Something with Tremaine just looks off.  I mean its like he 2nd-guesses himself and overthinks way too much.  Kid will become a star when he just plays with his natural instincts.  

I agree, if switching to the Will LB spot take more off his plate and allows him to play more "free" then I'm all.for it. 

However these coaches need to figure it out, bc they basically took a corvette and swapped it for a safe Volvo.

I get the sense they've done this with Ed Oliver, then trying to tweak Aj Epenesa weight prior to the season...these are 3 men who were beasts in college, athletically super talented and playing them in a way that resembles Chris Kelsays athletic prowess.

Not all on the coaches, I get it, but just feels like we have a scheme that is not playing to our strengths and if allowed.to be more aggressive, could produce better

@MAJBobby in his analyses nailed it I think: Edmunds doesn’t guess because his physical talent is so freakish that he doesn’t think he has to. It had always worked for him before because he was more athletic than anyone else on the field. Hence he plays in a reactive way because he has been hardwired to think he can catch up, but in the nfl that effectively means that he plays tentatively. If he guessed and attacked more, there would be more bigger plays (and more misses, but that’s possibly a price worth paying). He has to learn not to be reactive and trust in his superior physical talent because everyone is good in the nfl. @MAJBobby surmised that AJ Klein’s improvement stems almost entirely from him resorting to guessing, which makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, QCity said:

It's not so much of a good season as it is one game. He had 5 sacks against a Giants team that was forced to put Colt McCoy in. He's an undersized played that has disappointed, and paying him big money in a contract year based on his performance in a contract year is the definition of Fool's Gold in today's NFL. 

Let’s say he has a very good game (3 sacks) as opposed to a ridiculous game. 10.5 sacks is still more than any Bill since Mario Williams.

Edited by dave mcbride

He would be an interesting pickup as he could actually fill the Lorenzo role who we seemed to miss this year. He could be a fit if we got a bit more aggressive on defense, but to me he is a more of a 3-4 player.

I’m guessing he goes to Carolin to play for Matt Rhule

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/28/2021 at 11:32 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So wait, we let Milano go because we can't afford to re-up him at $10M (or whatever he wants), in favor of a former #13 pick who kind of underperformed for 3 years, until his contract year?

Wouldn't that be the classic sort of "watch out" for a guy who pushed extra to get that big contract and might settle back to his mediocre ways?

Marcel Dareus agrees with this message. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:07 PM, thenorthremembers said:

He was a ILB/OLB when he was drafted, and was moved to a situational edge rusher in a 3-4 because he couldnt play linebacker.   He cant play 4-3 defensive end because he is 6'1 235.   He offers nothing for the Bills. 

This. Not a scheme fit. Has to play as a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

No Thanks, his last season is the only good season he had.  If he had more  seasons of consistency then maybe.  He only had 7.5 sack the first 3 years of his career

Or the highly drafted player who was playing out of position finally hit his stride and is ready to live up to his draft status, like Jerry Hughes.