Since Watson wants out of Houston, could Watt be far behind?

Draconator

16 hours ago, WhoTom said:

That was a powerful post. Do you deliver a Joule like that every second? 😉

Don’t amp him up. He’s gonna have to spend hours restricting his ego with meditation 🧘 “Oooooohhhhhmmmm. Oooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmm”

Don’t amp him up. He’s gonna have to spend hours restricting his ego with meditation 🧘 “Oooooohhhhhmmmm. Oooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmm”. 🧘

Don’t amp him up. He’s gonna have to spend hours restricting his ego with meditation 🧘 “Oooooohhhhhmmmm. Oooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmm”. 🧘

The problem is he has been injured a lot in his career even though he played almost all of the games this year.  He’s also expensive and getting older at 31.  Beane just said in his presser, this is not the year they are going to make any splashes.  His name came up last year, and the year before.  It’s not Beane’s M.O..

Just my take.  

I don't see how Houston trades him even if they felt they needed to. They are 18 million over the cap and would take on 5.6 million more in dead cap space by trading him. Then have to replace his salary with a much less talented player most likely. Additionally over the next 3 years they will take an additional $16 million in dead cap space.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't see how Houston trades him even if they felt they needed to. They are 18 million over the cap and would take on 5.6 million more in dead cap space by trading him. Then have to replace his salary with a much less talented player most likely. Additionally over the next 3 years they will take an additional $16 million in dead cap space.

If you’re talking about Watt, he has 1 year $17m left on his deal.  None of it guaranteed and no dead money to Texans. If they cut him, they save $17m and have no dead money.   Even though we need help on the DL, not sure how much Watt has left and there’s no way I’m trading anything for him to pay him $17m for 1 year.  Maybe for $10m for 1 year.  He’d be an upgrade over Addison.  

I would be very interested in Watt. Even at an advanced stage. He’s one of the 10 best DL to ever play the game. I realize he is at best 75% of what he was but he is a great leader and a great person to teach the young guys how to be pros. I think Watt could help a ton in the run game and would fit in with this fan base maybe as much as any player ever has. I know his price tag is probably going to make this a pipe dream and he’s past his prime..but I would love it if it somehow happened.

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I would be very interested in Watt. Even at an advanced stage. He’s one of the 10 best DL to ever play the game. I realize he is at best 75% of what he was but he is a great leader and a great person to teach the young guys how to be pros. I think Watt could help a ton in the run game and would fit in with this fan base maybe as much as any player ever has. I know his price tag is probably going to make this a pipe dream and he’s past his prime..but I would love it if it somehow happened.

Our current team sure look like they know how to be pros to me.  Get a look at Tre’s interview after his extension.  Is he not a pro?  Allen?  Diggs?  Poyer?  Hyde?  Dawkins?  

Watt could teach them how to self promote and get their mug splashed all over TV.  Watt in his prime would be a nice fit in the field but off the field he wants the limelight.  Watt is his current state of being injured 93% of the time holds no value at all.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If you’re talking about Watt, he has 1 year $17m left on his deal.  None of it guaranteed and no dead money to Texans. If they cut him, they save $17m and have no dead money.   Even though we need help on the DL, not sure how much Watt has left and there’s no way I’m trading anything for him to pay him $17m for 1 year.  Maybe for $10m for 1 year.  He’d be an upgrade over Addison.  

I am talking about Watson.

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Agreed JJ will take a 1 year deal with contender somewhere he’s already got oodles of money it’s more about the ring for him now 

Lol the ring.  I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a ring, but for him it is still about what it has always been and will always be about........him.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Our current team sure look like they know how to be pros to me.  Get a look at Tre’s interview after his extension.  Is he not a pro?  Allen?  Diggs?  Poyer?  Hyde?  Dawkins?  

Watt could teach them how to self promote and get their mug splashed all over TV.  Watt in his prime would be a nice fit in the field but off the field he wants the limelight.  Watt is his current state of being injured 93% of the time holds no value at all.

I am pretty sure he played more snaps than any d-lineman in the league this year. In fact, I’m almost certain. I’m not advocating the move, mind you.

Check  out the snap counts. They are ridiculously high for a DE. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

On 1/29/2021 at 4:46 AM, Thurman#1 said:

I'd love to see him here. I just don't see any reasonable way for that to happen.

Yeah, if willing to sign cheap, KC would certainly be the favorite.

Obviously, we're all just speculating, but I think it's much more possible than you seem to think. 

I assume he has a no-trade clause, so he has some control over where he goes.   There probably are only a half dozen teams or so that he'd like to go to, all teams with Super Bowl potential.  Salary also has to factor into it.  Kansas City is $16 million deeper in cap trouble than the Bills, so KC probably would have more trouble freeing up money to pay him.  Plus, they've got big cap money tied up in Frank Clark and Chris Jones, so it's hard to imagine KC would spend big on another defensive lineman.

Even though Watt wants to play every down, he knows that at this point in his career, reducing his snaps is good thing.  He knows he'll be platooned in Buffalo.  

As I've said elsewhere, I think that Buffalo is exactly the kind of team Watt wants to play for.   I actually have wondered if McDermott was intentionally talking to Watt when he closed his end-of-season press conference:

"This place is a special place, surrounded by a special fan base, and where else would you rather come to play the best football of your career?  This is, to me, a great place to play if you're truly passionate and love the game of football."

I don't think JJ Watt in Buffalo is far-fetched.

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Obviously, we're all just speculating, but I think it's much more possible than you seem to think. 

I assume he has a no-trade clause, so he has some control over where he goes.   There probably are only a half dozen teams or so that he'd like to go to, all teams with Super Bowl potential.  Salary also has to factor into it.  Kansas City is $16 million deeper in cap trouble than the Bills, so KC probably would have more trouble freeing up money to pay him.  Plus, they've got big cap money tied up in Frank Clark and Chris Jones, so it's hard to imagine KC would spend big on another defensive lineman.

Even though Watt wants to play every down, he knows that at this point in his career, reducing his snaps is good thing.  He knows he'll be platooned in Buffalo.  

As I've said elsewhere, I think that Buffalo is exactly the kind of team Watt wants to play for.   I actually have wondered if McDermott was intentionally talking to Watt when he closed his end-of-season press conference:

"This place is a special place, surrounded by a special fan base, and where else would you rather come to play the best football of your career?  This is, to me, a great place to play if you're truly passionate and love the game of football."

I don't think JJ Watt in Buffalo is far-fetched.

It’s cool that Buffalo might now be a place where aging stars want to go to “compete for a ring”.

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I was leaning more on teaching the young defensive guys. Like AJ Eponessa, Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edmunds etc. the guys who still haven’t really come into their own.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s cool that Buffalo might now be a place where aging stars want to go to “compete for a ring”.

Right.  I just wrote in another thread that everything has changed for the Bills, including the off-season.  Now the off-season is interesting for completely different reasons.