Biden Is The Green Energy President

Tiberius

The Environmental Protection Agency will propose a rule Monday aimed at sharply cutting the use and production of a class of powerful greenhouse gases used widely in refrigeration and air conditioning. The proposal marks the first time President Biden’s administration has used the power of the federal government to mandate a cut in climate pollution.

Unlike many of the administration’s other climate initiatives, there’s broad bipartisan support for curbing hydrofluorocarbons, pollutants thousands of times more potent than carbon dioxide at warming the planet. Congress agreed at the end of last year to slash the super-pollutants by 85 percent over the next 15 years as part of a broader omnibus bill.

Altogether, a global phasing down of hydrofluorocarbons, also known as HFCs, is projected to avert up to 0.5 degree Celsius (0.9 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming by the end of the century.

Widely used in refrigeration as well as residential and commercial air conditioning and heat pumps, HFCs were developed as a substitute for chemicals that depleted the Earth’s protective ozone layer. But their heat-trapping properties have helped further fuel rising temperatures.

“With this proposal, EPA is taking another significant step under President Biden’s ambitious agenda to address the climate crisis,” EPA Administrator Michael Regan said in a statement. "The phasedown of HFCs is also widely supported by the business community, as it will help promote American leadership in innovation and manufacturing of new climate-safe products. Put simply, this action is good for our planet and our economy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/05/03/epa-climate-hfcs/

• Haha (+1) 1

GenX was one of the main reasons I moved out of Wilmington, NC.

I drank tainted water for 5 years or so. Trump changed what qualifies as tainted during tests so it just isn’t safe there anymore. They could’ve actually fixed it. There was a reverse osmosis plan coming.

4 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Eventually I’ll be in on that class action lawsuit just like the BP Oil Spill. Gettin PAID!

Don’t spend your $.15 all in one place. The lawyers will be calling me after. 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The tainted water game, eh?  They call that a glass action suit in the biz. 

It’s the same chemical that DuPont was dumping in West Virginia. They just changed the chemical so it can’t be easily detected.

There’s  a newer movie about it that stars Mark Ruffalo. They did the screening in downtown Wilmington.

6 minutes ago, The Governor said:

It’s the same chemical that DuPont was dumping in West Virginia. They just changed the chemical so it can’t be easily detected.

There’s  a newer movie about it that stars Mark Ruffalo. They did the screening in downtown Wilmington.

Sorry, Mark Ruffalo is on my no-fly list.  His douche rating is too high, and I don’t much like preachy movies based on actual events as interpreted for the big screen with creative license.  I certainly don’t support them financially anymore.  

Now if it was Leo DiCap, I’d make an exception.  

11 hours ago, Tiberius said:

That’s the problem;  government has no clue what it is doing or it doesn’t care because it has big donors to appease. 

To summarize,  the thing they mandated everyone switch to, to address the ozone crisis,  accelerated the climate crisis. 👍 

Obviously it’s too easy to produce new chemicals without knowing the impact.

Meanwhile just another example of unintended consequences from the fed. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

By Bob Henson and 

Jason Samenow

May 4, 2021 at 7:00 a.m. EDT

Add to list

The official calculation of what constitutes “normal” U.S. climate has been updated — and to virtually nobody’s surprise, it’s a warmer picture than ever before.

On Tuesday, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released an updated set of climate averages for the contiguous United States based on the 30-year period from 1991 to 2020, including more than 9,000 daily reporting stations. It refers to these averages* as “climate normals,” and updates them once every decade.

Compared with previous 30-year periods, the climate has turned unambiguously warmer.

“We’re really seeing the fingerprints of climate change in the new normals,” Michael Palecki, manager of NOAA’s effort to update the climate normals, said at an April news conference. “We’re not trying to hide that. We’re in fact reflecting that.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/05/04/noaa-new-climate-normals/

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That’s the problem;  government has no clue what it is doing or it doesn’t care because it has big donors to appease. 

To summarize,  the thing they mandated everyone switch to, to address the ozone crisis,  accelerated the climate crisis. 👍 

Obviously it’s too easy to produce new chemicals without knowing the impact.

Meanwhile just another example of unintended consequences from the fed. 

They stopped the ozone depletion and remember Acid Rain? Well, fixed that. 

You guys are outdated 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/05/04/noaa-new-climate-normals/

They stopped the ozone depletion and remember Acid Rain? Well, fixed that. 

You guys are outdated 

I remember they stopping talking about it as a crisis. 

I am all for environmental regulatory agencies but they should be apolitical 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I remember they stopping talking about it as a crisis. 

I am all for environmental regulatory agencies but they should be apolitical 

As long as greed is king, that will never happen.  They have everyone arguing about the science, when we all know cash is king.  

• Agree 1

Switching gears (pardon the pun), if the Biden Administration really wants to get Americans off of fossil fuels why not start by simply regulating it so the auto companies can no longer make and sell gas powered vehicles by a certain date/year?  Let's say 2026....five years from now.  Why do anything else?  What is all the federal spending for?  Gas powered cars will slowly fade away.  After all they don't last forever.  We already have time tested electric car technology. The government passes new regulations on auto safety and emissions all the time (miles per gallon, air bags, seat belts, etc.)...what's the problem here? Just require the auto industry to change.  Next crisis?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Switching gears (pardon the pun), if the Biden Administration really wants to get Americans off of fossil fuels why not start by simply regulating it so the auto companies can no longer make and sell gas powered vehicles by a certain date/year?  Let's say 2026....five years from now.  Why do anything else?  What is all the federal spending for?  Gas powered cars will slowly fade away.  After all they don't last forever.  We already have time tested electric car technology. The government passes new regulations on auto safety and emissions all the time (miles per gallon, air bags, seat belts, etc.)...what's the problem here? Just require the auto industry to change.  Next crisis?

Simple answer.

They would be voted out.............and they need that power.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'll take a stab at it.  If they let the auto industry do it, and it's an infrastructure nightmare, they can take the blame, because you'll still have to buy a car.  If the Demmocrats mandate it, and it doesn't go well, they lose votes.  

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'll take a stab at it.  If they let the auto industry do it, and it's an infrastructure nightmare, they can take the blame, because you'll still have to buy a car.  If the Demmocrats mandate it, and it doesn't go well, they lose votes.  

I guess so, but it's just like any other new regulations.  We see them in every industry every year.  Set the regulation and mandate that the industry meet it.  In this case, it isn't hard at all.  The car companies already know how to make electric cars. They don't need to invent any new technologies.  They just need to be given time to re-set the assembly lines to produce them.  Then....the burden will fall square on the consumer to adjust their lifestyle accordingly.  It will of course limit how far you can drive without stopping to re-charge.  But once again, that's a lifestyle change.  Long family road trips will of course be out!  But nobody's daily commuting should have to change.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I guess so, but it's just like any other new regulations.  We see them in every industry every year.  Set the regulation and mandate that the industry meet it.  In this case, it isn't hard at all.  The car companies already know how to make electric cars. They don't need to invent any new technologies.  They just need to be given time to re-set the assembly lines to produce them.  Then....the burden will fall square on the consumer to adjust their lifestyle accordingly.  It will of course limit how far you can drive without stopping to re-charge.  But once again, that's a lifestyle change.  Long family road trips will of course be out!  But nobody's daily commuting should have to change.

Wireless refuelling lol