Jump to content

Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston


Recommended Posts

On 2/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

 

I disagree.  IMO Allen is better then Watson now and that gap will only widen next season.

 

IMO I also consider Rogers, Brady & Wilson to be clearly better then Watson.

 

And I'm curious as to what you would say is Watson's "proven" track record?  He's clearly been a very good QB on a decent team during his first 3 seasons but beyond that what has he actually proven? 

 

 

He's proven that he's good at playing QB. In a year where the league was packed with great QBs, Watson, with no Diggs, Lockett, Metcalf, Hill, Kelce or Evans tier receivers, led the league in passing yards. I can't imagine time of possession was great for the Texans, either, given their awful defense. He's special. He's better than Wilson. I view it Mahomes-Allen/Rodgers/Watson-Brady that are my top 5. Prescott when healthy and Wilson are up there, too. Imo, it's a clear top 4, though, and you could probably 2-4 in any order and justify it until Josh Allen ascends next season to be the new unquestioned #1.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Live look at Bill OBrien as he attempts to get a job with Watson's new team  

IMO, Houston shouldn't trade him. Tell him to play...or sit out.

No.  He’s just using Bills fans to drive his mentions, clicks and audience    Really can’t believe bills fans continue to pay attention and link anything and everything he does. 

Posted Images

The Stafford/Watson conversation is interesting... Stafford is actually someone I thought of for a Watson comparison.

 

Both put up stats, and both are very good. Both also play(ed) for terrible franchises, although the Texans were halfway respectable until this past season. Watson had a pretty nice supporting cast, whereas Stafford never really did. 

 

What did the Texans in was giving O'Brien the power to destroy the team with idiotic moves that left them without star players or draft picks, which takes some real doing. With all the moves they made they should at least have a nice boatload of draft picks. Somehow they have nothing.

 

That and hiring a televangelist as the team president. 

 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Stafford/Watson conversation is interesting... Stafford is actually someone I thought of for a Watson comparison.

 

Both put up stats, and both are very good. Both also play(ed) for terrible franchises, although the Texans were halfway respectable until this past season. Watson had a pretty nice supporting cast, whereas Stafford never really did. 

 

What did the Texans in was giving O'Brien the power to destroy the team with idiotic moves that left them without star players or draft picks, which takes some real doing. 

 

That and hiring a televangelist as the team president. 

 

Nice supporting cast = the bottom 3 OL in the league the last 3 season.  Hopkins was “the nice supporting cast”.  Fuller was hurt 1/2 the time.  No tight ends.  No RBs.  No coaching.  Solid front 7 with no secondary.  
 

JMO, they won because of Watson, Hopkins and Watt imo.  The rest of the “nice supporting cast” were made to look good because those 3 made them look good.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewEra said:

Nice supporting cast = the bottom 3 OL in the league the last 3 season.  Hopkins was “the nice supporting cast”.  Fuller was hurt 1/2 the time.  No tight ends.  No RBs.  No coaching.  Solid front 7 with no secondary.  
 

JMO, they won because of Watson, Hopkins and Watt imo.  The rest of the “nice supporting cast” were made to look good because those 3 made them look good.  
 

 

Houston had some nice players, especially on defense. 

 

Clowney was a nice tandem with Watt, netting 9 sacks Watson's first 2 seasons. Coaching was never great in Houston or Detroit, but other than Calvin Johnson (in his Megatron days) I can't think of a single Lions player of note aside from Stafford. 

 

I'm not saying Stafford is better, don't get me wrong. I am saying that Stafford is going to shock some people now that he FINALLY has a real coach and a good team around him. Watson just reminds me of him: lots of stats, not a lot of winning, although more W's than Stafford at the same point in their careers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But can we at least agree that Watson has been fortunate to play on a very good football team through his first 3 seasons?   Last year was the first time the team around him sucked. At least that's what your the records you posted above seem to say.

 

 

No we can't agree that. In 2017 Deshaun Watson was a rookie started 6 games at went 3-3. Without him Houston went 1-9. The roster was decent at that point but they were completely injury ravaged even aside from losing Watson. That resulted in a 4-12 season. 

 

In 2018 they were a pretty good roster. No doubt. They had a top 5 defense - JJ Watt played all 16 games, they still had Jadaveon Clowney opposite him, they had DJ Reader in the middle of that Dline and they had Tyron Mathieu and Kareem Jackson in the secondary. Offensively the line sucked and their backs and tight ends were pretty average but they had probably the best receiver in the game, a good #2 for half the season and a good Quarterback. 

 

In 2019 Watt played only 8 games, Clowney was gone, Mathieu was gone and Jackson was gone. The defense consequently went from top 5 in points allowed to 19th. On offense their line improved a bit, Carlos Hyde had a career year (helped by running against light boxes) and Fuller got up to 11 games alongside Hopkins. I can strongly make a case that roster should not have won 11 games. 

 

In 2020 Watt did play all 16 games but DJ Reader became the latest piece off that once top 5 defense to disappear and the defense ranked 27th, they traded away their best receiver, Fuller again missed time, their oline regressed, they fired their coach after 4 weeks and the season became a lost cause pretty early. Now I'd also say as much as the 2019 Texans shouldn't have won 11 games I think the 2020 Texans should have won more than 4. They outplayed the Titans once and the Colts twice and managed to blow those games. That is the bounce of the ball in the NFL. 

 

So you have to have context. I think the 2018 team was a decent team and they lost a playoff game to a less talented Indianapolis squad in Watson's first playoff exposure where he did not play well. The 2019 team with a less able Quarterback would have been a .500 team at absolute best. 

42 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

 

Houston had some nice players, especially on defense. 

 

They did in 2018. They were injury ravaged in '17 and they had pretty much all gone by '19. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

He's proven that he's good at playing QB. In a year where the league was packed with great QBs, Watson, with no Diggs, Lockett, Metcalf, Hill, Kelce or Evans tier receivers, led the league in passing yards. I can't imagine time of possession was great for the Texans, either, given their awful defense. He's special. He's better than Wilson. I view it Mahomes-Allen/Rodgers/Watson-Brady that are my top 5. Prescott when healthy and Wilson are up there, too. Imo, it's a clear top 4, though, and you could probably 2-4 in any order and justify it until Josh Allen ascends next season to be the new unquestioned #1.

 

 

He had Hopkins for 3 years.  1 playoff win.  He's never carried that team.  He's had 1 career year with numbers Wilson has averaged over the past 6 seasons.  Wilson has led a top 10 O for 8 of his 9 seasons.  He scored 37 of the team's 38 TDs in 2017 in the only season they didn't make the playoffs.  He's gotten them to the playoffs the last 3 years with mediocre (or worse) D's.  Before Lockett and Metcalf (who's been around for 2 seasons), Wilson was doing it with Doug Baldwin.  

 

Watson has a ways to go to catch Wilson. 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, purple haze said:

All that’s true.

 

Maye can be re-signed.

 

Williams might be included in a deal, but it’s not a certainty.  depends on how Texans management views him.   That organization has issues.  Can’t assume they will do what makes sense.
 

Mosely’s deal was terrible.  He hasn’t played.  Has the time off given him renewed health and energy or eroded his physical talents?   We’ll see.  
 

if all three aren’t there, and Jets still get Watson, push that cap money on the offense and try to win shootouts every week.
 

 

Maye’s agent:

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...