Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

On 2/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, purple haze said:

All that’s true.

Maye can be re-signed.

Williams might be included in a deal, but it’s not a certainty.  depends on how Texans management views him.   That organization has issues.  Can’t assume they will do what makes sense.

Mosely’s deal was terrible.  He hasn’t played.  Has the time off given him renewed health and energy or eroded his physical talents?   We’ll see.  

if all three aren’t there, and Jets still get Watson, push that cap money on the offense and try to win shootouts every week.

Maye’s agent:

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And here we go--Watson will be traded, it seems. @BADOLBILZ, I told you this would happen: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11/david-culley-suggests-texans-may-be-willing-to-trade-deshaun-watson/. I'm not saying it's smart, but this outcome was fairly predictable. 

Panthers seem to be clearing the deck for this. Brian Burns, 8 overall, next year’s 1st, and additional 2021 picks?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Panthers seem to be clearing the deck for this. Brian Burns, 8 overall, next year’s 1st, and additional 2021 picks?

As long as he’s not in the AFC, I will be ecstatic 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

More players? Teddy B maybe. I’m assuming that the additional picks would be plentiful. 

Bridgewater isn't any good and is the sort of player who is regularly on the trash heap come free agency. Maybe McCaffrey, Burns, the #8 pick, and next year's 2 and 3? This is a franchise QB, after all. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Bridgewater isn't any good and is the sort of player who is regularly on the trash heap come free agency. Maybe McCaffrey, Burns, the #8 pick, and next year's 2 and 3? This is a franchise QB, after all. 

If I’m Houston the starting point would be Burns + 3 1st rounders.  Maybe Burns + 2 1sts and a mix of other picks could get it done, but idk.  I’d rather call the Jets and try and get to get Zach Wilson + a mix of 1sts, 2nds and 3rd.  Carolinas 8th pick wouldn’t yield a QB I’d be happy with.  I wouldn’t want Teddy or Mccaffery (because of his contract)

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If I’m Houston the starting point would be Burns + 3 1st rounders.  Maybe Burns + 2 1sts and a mix of other picks could get it done, but idk.  I’d rather call the Jets and try and get to get Zach Wilson + a mix of 1sts, 2nds and 3rd.  Carolinas 8th pick wouldn’t yield a QB I’d be happy with.  I wouldn’t want Teddy or Mccaffery (because of his contract)

yeah, the Jets definitely have more to offer. The one thing that Carolina brings to the table is a borderline elite edge rusher (Burns) only two years into his first contract. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think they’d have to include Burns and CMC, it’s the only way to sell it to fans.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

yeah, the Jets definitely have more to offer. The one thing that Carolina brings to the table is a borderline elite edge rusher (Burns) only two years into his first contract. 

Definitely.  Burns is awesome.  Love Ed.  Wishing we took Burns

On 3/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, TheFunPolice said:

The Stafford/Watson conversation is interesting... Stafford is actually someone I thought of for a Watson comparison.

Both put up stats, and both are very good. Both also play(ed) for terrible franchises, although the Texans were halfway respectable until this past season. Watson had a pretty nice supporting cast, whereas Stafford never really did. 

What did the Texans in was giving O'Brien the power to destroy the team with idiotic moves that left them without star players or draft picks, which takes some real doing. With all the moves they made they should at least have a nice boatload of draft picks. Somehow they have nothing.

That and hiring a televangelist as the team president. 

Stafford had one of the greatest receivers in nfl history.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

so mcspeedy to the bills for our 1st can happen!

i know, it's not likely, but that and a DE in FA, re sign williams, draft OLB and OG and cb2, maybe TE or whatever (pickings get slim quickly) and i think we are in the superbowl.

the ne style O that dabol likes is a hell of a lot more effective with the RB coming out catching the easy wheel routes and screens.  a burner like mccaffery will either toast the D, or make them commit to covering him, which means beez, diggs, and friends can shine.

7 minutes ago, colin said:

so mcspeedy to the bills for our 1st can happen!

i know, it's not likely, but that and a DE in FA, re sign williams, draft OLB and OG and cb2, maybe TE or whatever (pickings get slim quickly) and i think we are in the superbowl.

the ne style O that dabol likes is a hell of a lot more effective with the RB coming out catching the easy wheel routes and screens.  a burner like mccaffery will either toast the D, or make them commit to covering him, which means beez, diggs, and friends can shine.

If we took on mccafferys contract, that would use all of our space. We wouldn’t have room for Williams and a FA pass rusher.  We’d have to cut/restructure more players and create more holes.  

it could be fun and lead to a Lombardi if we can stay healthy the stars align 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we took on mccafferys contract, that would use all of our space. We wouldn’t have room for Williams and a FA pass rusher.  We’d have to cut/restructure more players and create more holes.  

it could be fun and lead to a Lombardi if we can stay healthy the stars align 

i thought a big part of the appeal was that his bonus was already paid, no?  if we convert some of his current year salary to bonus i think we could manage, at least that's what i thought when i barely looked into it.

i say there is a way!

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Trade with the Jets for Darnold, a haul and number 2.... then trade that to Carolina for 8 and Burns..

That would suck huh?  

the more I watch Zach Wilson....the more I think that they should just stand pat, keep the picks and hope that he can become aaron Rodgers- like.  

I’ve been a defender of Darnold over the years, but I pray that they keep him and trade down from 2 and allow Zach Wilson to go to the NFC.  His 2020 tape (albeit vs some bad college teams) reminds me of a mini Josh allen (2020 version).  The kid can sling it

1 minute ago, colin said:

i thought a big part of the appeal was that his bonus was already paid, no?  if we convert some of his current year salary to bonus i think we could manage, at least that's what i thought when i barely looked into it.

i say there is a way!

Yeah, I agree that there’s a way.  I just don’t think it’s going to happen.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

And here we go--Watson will be traded, it seems. @BADOLBILZ, I told you this would happen: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11/david-culley-suggests-texans-may-be-willing-to-trade-deshaun-watson/. I'm not saying it's smart, but this outcome was fairly predictable. 

And then the athletic releases this just now 

https://theathletic.com/news/texans-committed-to-deshaun-watson-there-is-no-contingency-plan/gVzKxBVFouno

Culley:  There is no contingency plan.  Watson is a Houston Texan and that’s how we’re moving forward with it.  We’re committed to him, as I said before”.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That would suck huh?  

the more I watch Zach Wilson....the more I think that they should just stand pat, keep the picks and hope that he can become aaron Rodgers- like.  

I think you go with Watson though... the known quantity... although I much would prefer them to go down this riskier path...

If they trade him I think it will be to either Miami or Jets.... just with that higher pick on offer this year... makes a lot of difference