Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So Watson should just wait ten years for the Texans to ruin his prime? Your point might hold more water if the Lions traded away Calvin Johnson earlier in his career for some washed up rb,

So Stafford has actually been with the Lions for 12 years. There is a huge difference between 4 years (Watson) and 12 years (Stafford). Not saying he has to wait as long as Stafford did but Watson just signed a contract extension last year. Even if he waits half as long as Stafford that only puts him at year 6. 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I still contend it would be suicide for Caserio and the no name new head coach to allow it.  Once the draft is over, the picks etc., are less of a motivator for the Texans.  What is Watson going to leave $25 mil. In a holdout.  That won’t happen.  The new coach and GM will have to try and find a way to mend fences.  I don’t see it.

I'm just a regular guy so I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if we ever see this trade this year.  It is even more advantageous for other teams as Watson’s contract had a ton in bonuses making his salary very palatable for other teams, but even more powerful motivator by the Texans to not take any offers.

The desperation for the teams that want Watson will only increase over the next year.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Jets are in the NYC Metro area.  His off field marketing profile ($$$) will go up exponentially.  And, from reports, he likes Robert Saleh.  No word on his opinion of Dan Campbell.  Jets also have $ to spend on FA and I’d be willing to bet several would come to play with Watson.

The Jets have cap space and picks, but need an absurd amount of help on both sides of the ball.  

I feel like people aren't taking the Catch-22 situation for a new GM into account enough. Superstar QB is trying to impose his will on the franchise. If Caserio trades him he's basically opening the doors to any other player in the future who wants to hold out/demand a trade and letting them know he will blink first. If I'm Caserio I strong-arm Watson and force him to play or sit out and then trade him next year when I actually get to scout the picks I'm making.  

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I still contend it would be suicide for Caserio and the no name new head coach to allow it.  Once the draft is over, the picks etc., are less of a motivator for the Texans.  What is Watson going to leave $25 mil. In a holdout.  That won’t happen.  The new coach and GM will have to try and find a way to mend fences.  I don’t see it.

I'm just a regular guy so I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if we ever see this trade this year.  It is even more advantageous for other teams as Watson’s contract had a ton in bonuses making his salary very palatable for other teams, but even more powerful motivator by the Texans to not take any offers.

A holdout (no Watson, no picks) would be a much bigger disaster for this FO.  

They are 4-12 with him and no draft capital to improve much soon.  He doesn't want to play for this team or its fans anymore.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A holdout (no Watson, no picks) would be a much bigger disaster for this FO.  

They are 4-12 with him and no draft capital to improve much soon.  He doesn't want to play for this team or its fans anymore.  

Agreed.  Watson wanting out is a blessing in disguise for Casserio.  If they trade Watson, he gets to add a ton of draft picks (and maybe a decent veteran QB like Garappolo or Darnold) and will have the opportunity to put his stamp on the franchise.  There might even be a QB he really likes in this draft...  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The desperation for the teams that want Watson will only increase over the next year.  

Possibly, but at least it won't decrease any.  Not unless a ton of QBs suddenly become great during the season.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Possibly, but at least it won't decrease any.  Not unless a ton of QBs suddenly become great during the season.

Actually more QB's rising to the elite level is actually increasing demand.     When it was just Manning, Brady,  Brees and Rodgers in tier 1 "league MVP" type level it was a lot easier to make the excuse that you could still be somewhat successful........and maybe catch a lucky break in the playoffs........without one of those guys.    Now that the field has expanded significantly the have-not's are feeling a lot lonelier and more uncompetitive.        

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  Watson wanting out is a blessing in disguise for Casserio.  If they trade Watson, he gets to add a ton of draft picks (and maybe a decent veteran QB like Garappolo or Darnold) and will have the opportunity to put his stamp on the franchise.  There might even be a QB he really likes in this draft...  

A blessing in disguise?    It could very easily take them 20+ years to get another QB like Watson.    Top 5 types are rare and maybe you under-appreciate that because they tend to play a VERY long time so it seems that they must be more replaceable than they are.     The Bills just went 25 years between seasons of elite level QB play.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A blessing in disguise?    It could very easily take them 20+ years to get another QB like Watson.    Top 5 types are rare and maybe you under-appreciate that because they tend to play a VERY long time so it seems that they must be more replaceable than they are.     The Bills just went 25 years between seasons of elite level QB play.

I get that.  But my point is, they are in bad shape right now, even with Watson.  Adding 4 first round picks, plus Darnold, could get them healthy in a hurry, especially since that would include the second overall pick this year, which they could turn into even more picks.  They could turn things around pretty quickly and they will have plenty of shots at a QB...

Edited by mannc

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

I get that.  But my point is, they are in bad shape right now, even with Watson.  Adding 4 first round picks, plus Darnold, could get them healthy in a hurry, especially since that would include the second overall pick this year, which they could turn into even more picks.  They could turn things around pretty quickly and they will have plenty of shots at a QB...

The math is not in the favor of your argument.

Traditionally there is about a 15% chance of getting a franchise QB with your first round QB pick.........getting a top 5 guy will be even lower even if the 15% figure isn't as accurate in recent drafts.

As for the rest of the picks........... about half of your first round picks don't live up to basic expectations(as defined by not having 5th year option picked up).

The piling of draft picks sounds good but if that worked the Browns be a dynasty after all of them they piled up.

All the Julio Jones trade bonanza got them was more losing..........and eventually they bottomed out entirely and got a QB who could win some games for them but even then they would appear to be in a QB purgatory now because Baker doesn't look like an elite one.

IMO the best way to handle Watson is let him choose to sit............build up the culture and character in that locker room the way McDermott did and Flores has in Miami .........and then maybe you can either mend fences with Watson or trade him next year for another actual superstar QB and possibly more.     

Right now what they can be offered is mostly shite.   Darnold is broken and high risk.   I can't imagine drafting anyone other than Trevor from this class and having him come in knowing that he has to follow DeShaun Watson.    That's crazy pressure.   

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Oh so now he is just going to sit out the preseason and maybe some games.:rolleyes:

Loyalty is everything?  He should go back and listen to his weepy press conference when McNair made him generationally wealthy 6 months ago.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The math is not in the favor of your argument.

Traditionally there is about a 15% chance of getting a franchise QB with your first round QB pick.........getting a top 5 guy will be even lower even if the 15% figure isn't as accurate in recent drafts.

As for the rest of the picks........... about half of your first round picks don't live up to basic expectations(as defined by not having 5th year option picked up).

The piling of draft picks sounds good but if that worked the Browns be a dynasty after all of them they piled up.

All the Julio Jones trade bonanza got them was more losing..........and eventually they bottomed out entirely and got a QB who could win some games for them but even then they would appear to be in a QB purgatory now because Baker doesn't look like an elite one.

IMO the best way to handle Watson is let him choose to sit............build up the culture and character in that locker room the way McDermott did and Flores has in Miami .........and then maybe you can either mend fences with Watson or trade him next year for another actual superstar QB and possibly more.     

Right now what they can be offered is mostly shite.   Darnold is broken and high risk.   I can't imagine drafting anyone other than Trevor from this class and having him come in knowing that he has to follow DeShaun Watson.    That's crazy pressure.   

Obviously, it's not easy to find a top 5 QB; that's why the price for a guy like Watson is so steep.  But if the Texans recoup four first round picks, a mid-rounder or two, and Darnold, there is a good chance they'll end up with a better than average QB one way or the other, as well as some really good young, cheap players in the bargain.  Again, they are close to rock bottom right now--winning four games with Watson--with no premium draft picks to fall back on.  I think it's a chance they have to take, especially since Watson seems very determined not to play there...You use the Browns as an example, but the fact that they squandered their picks doesn't mean Casserio will. 

I would also point out that, as good as Watson has been, there is no guaranty he'll play at the same level for 15 or 20 more years.  (See Russell Wilson)  And Watson's got a slender frame and seems to absorb a lot of big hits.  I've always been concerned about his longevity.         

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Obviously, it's not easy to find a top 5 QB; that's why the price for a guy like Watson is so steep.  But if the Texans recoup four first round picks, a mid-rounder or two, and Darnold, there is a good chance they'll end up with a better than average QB one way or the other, as well as some really good young, cheap players in the bargain.  Again, they are close to rock bottom right now--winning four games with Watson--with no premium draft picks to fall back on.  I think it's a chance they have to take, especially since Watson seems very determined not to play there...You use the Browns as an example, but the fact that they squandered their picks doesn't mean Casserio will. 

I would also point out that, as good as Watson has been, there is no guaranty he'll play at the same level for 15 or 20 more years.  (See Russell Wilson)  And Watson's got a slender frame and seems to absorb a lot of big hits.  I've always been concerned about his longevity.         

Hey, going into 2019 many thought the Dolphins had the very worst roster in the league and had just hired another in a long line of inevitably bad Belichick impersonators in Flores.    But they turned it around and not on the strength of 1st round picks like Christian Wilkins and Tua.   You can at least right the ship without a ton of immediate help from early rounds.   Lot's of ways to fill out a roster.    I think people overstate the depth of the Texans roster despair.    Just about any situation can be turned around in a couple seasons and yes they were 4-12 but they were more competitive than that makes it seem and very dangerous offensively.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually more QB's rising to the elite level is actually increasing demand.     When it was just Manning, Brady,  Brees and Rodgers in tier 1 "league MVP" type level it was a lot easier to make the excuse that you could still be somewhat successful........and maybe catch a lucky break in the playoffs........without one of those guys.    Now that the field has expanded significantly the have-not's are feeling a lot lonelier and more uncompetitive.        

I meant that unless almost every team's QB suddenly becomes great this year, there will be a big market for him next year as well.  Some are talking like there will at-best be 1 team looking to trade for him and because of that, they can get him at a discount because the Texans will have no other choice.

• Like (+1) 2