Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don’t buy that at all. If the Jets or Fins have the best offer he’s not going to say “well I used to work for the Patriots and I don’t want to screw them over.”

We'll agree to disagree.  Again my belief is that if they do trade him, it will only be to an NFC team. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

We'll agree to disagree.  Again my belief is that if they do trade him, it will only be to an NFC team. 

I agree. Teams are afraid to trade WR's inside the conference. Multiply that fear by 10 when it comes to the QB position. Trade a QB out of conference and you only see them once every four years. Inside the conference and it's once every three years at minimum and possibly every year for a sequence of a few years and possibly the playoffs. It's a really hard pill to swallow. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree. Teams are afraid to trade WR's inside the conference. Multiply that fear by 10 when it comes to the QB position. Trade a QB out of conference and you only see them once every four years. Inside the conference and it's once every three years at minimum and possibly every year for a sequence of a few years and possibly the playoffs. It's a really hard pill to swallow. 

Unless you know the QB really sucks. You can trade him within the division and make it a win-win, like when Belichick fleeced the Bills with Brain Dead Drew.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Maybe more than every 4 years with the 17th game added now which will be out of conference.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If he is only open to going to the Jets, Dolphins, and Panthers as reports suggest, its the only place that makes sense for the Texans.  You cannot cannot trade him within the conference.

I don’t think the report was all inclusive of where he would approve 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Is this your belief or is this just what hope happens if he is traded? 

It's both.  Why I believe they won't trade him in the AFC is because the Bills were looking to trade for Hopkins and had a better pick than what the Texans ultimately accepted from the Cardinals.  The only reason that made sense was to get him out of the AFC.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My guess is he ends up in Carolina.

I think it depends if Carolina can flip McCaffery for serious draft compensation. Let's say they can get a pair of firsts for CMC which given how teams are throwing around firsts is totally possible. If Indy gives the Panthers pick 21 and a 2022 first I can see the Panthers giving up the following type deal. 

Picks 8, 21 (via the Colts for CMC), 39 and their 5th rounder in 2021. 

Carolina's 1st and Indy's 1st (Via CMC trade) in 2022. 

Bridgewater as a throw in if they want him or another player on their roster if they like

I think that's not too shabby for the Texans to get 4 first round picks, a high 2nd round pick, a decent stop gap QB and something else on the roster they like. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's both.  Why I believe they won't trade him in the AFC is because the Bills were looking to trade for Hopkins and had a better pick than what the Texans ultimately accepted from the Cardinals.  The only reason that made sense was to get him out of the AFC.

That was a different regime.  Irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think it depends if Carolina can flip McCaffery for serious draft compensation. Let's say they can get a pair of firsts for CMC which given how teams are throwing around firsts is totally possible. If Indy gives the Panthers pick 21 and a 2022 first I can see the Panthers giving up the following type deal. 

Picks 8, 21 (via the Colts for CMC), 39 and their 5th rounder in 2021. 

Carolina's 1st and Indy's 1st (Via CMC trade) in 2022. 

Bridgewater as a throw in if they want him or another player on their roster if they like

I think that's not too shabby for the Texans to get 4 first round picks, a high 2nd round pick, a decent stop gap QB and something else on the roster they like. 

Pass the pipe.  With his contact, McCaffrey isn’t worth even a second round pick at this point

9 hours ago, mannc said:

That was a different regime.  Irrelevant.

That trade was only one of many that highlighted teams desires to trade players or picks out of the conference rather than in the conference.

Vikings and Diggs to the Bills

Raiders and Mack to the Bears

Raiders and Cooper to the Cowboys

Patriots and Jimmy G to the 49ers

Eagles and Wentz to the Colts

Jets and Adams to the Seahawks

The preference is to always trade a player out of conference. That said, this year presents a very unique situation because by far the two most draft capital rich teams for 2021 and 2022 are both in the AFC East. I can see the theory being put to test but I'd still wager he ends up in the NFC. Otherwise, it probably will take 4 first rounders to send him to the Jets or Dolphins. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That trade was only one of many that highlighted teams desires to trade players or picks out of the conference rather than in the conference.

Vikings and Diggs to the Bills

Raiders and Mack to the Bears

Raiders and Cooper to the Cowboys

Patriots and Jimmy G to the 49ers

Eagles and Wentz to the Colts

Jets and Adams to the Seahawks

The preference is to always trade a player out of conference. That said, this year presents a very unique situation because by far the two most draft capital rich teams for 2021 and 2022 are both in the AFC East. I can see the theory being put to test but I'd still wager he ends up in the NFC. Otherwise, it probably will take 4 first rounders to send him to the Jets or Dolphins. 

I just don’t see any NFC team that has enough trade bait to make it happen, unless the Niners are going to trade a couple ones, plus Bosa.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I just don’t see any NFC team that has enough trade bait to make it happen, unless the Niners are going to trade a couple ones, plus Bosa.

If I were the Texans, I’d take less from an NFC team than an AFC.  Not significantly less but still less.  I’d take bridgewater and three 1sts and a 2nd over the Jets four #1’s and Darnold.