Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah we went thru this when McDermott was hired.

I don't necessarily see McNair as more incompetent than the Pegula's were..........they hired the Rex show.........they hid behind the curtain and sent Whaley out to explain why Rex got fired when it was Pegula who fired Rex after a disrespectful controntation by Ryan.     They proclaimed Whaley the GM and let him spearhead the HC search........and then totally pulled the rug out from under him and canned him for the HC's buddy from the prior gig.

Would you trust, and therefore work for, Terry Pegula?;)

Like I said.......lotta' pot calling kettle black around here.

Point is........perspectives change fast.    The Texans are in a f*cked spot.   Of their own doing, but we are familiar with this kind of thing.   After what O'Brien did they are going to be an unattractive place to play for the next year or so.     

Why, was Whaley some great GM that they shafted?  Was it not time for him to move on?  Haven't the results of the past 4 years spoken for themselves?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Pegulas are great owners. I think Rex and the Sabres shows that. They by luck or judgment got the right guy in McDermott and in fairness to them pretty quickly realised that and gave him the keys to the castle then stepped back and stayed out of the way. McNair did the same but had got the wrong guy in O'Brien. Sometimes on such turns of pitch and toss do things rest. 

There are few "great owners."  They all get lucky.  Some have more luck than others.  And when you're a small market owner, you need more luck than others.

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why, was Whaley some great GM that they shafted?  Was it not time for him to move on?  Haven't the results of the past 4 years spoken for themselves?

@GunnerBill issue is that McNair apparently hasn't been trustworthy.    The Pegula's aren't trustworthy either.  Gunner has also said he wouldn't work for someone he doesn't trust but in the past he has also said he would quit his job for a scouting job with the Bills.   Another example of why I say these defenses for Watson don't hold up to scrutiny.   If this situation were the Bills and Josh Allen these same people would have a different take on Allen's right to force a trade.

IMO Whaley deserved to go out the door with Rex.   After that end of conference PC where the Pegs were hiding behind the curtain.......I couldn't stand the thought of Whaley staying on.  But they were vulnerable and rudderless so they "vote of confidenced" him by finally putting him in charge of a head coaching search........and then........FOR THE THIRD TIME........hired someone the GM didn't prefer.:doh:  

Your GM and HC need to be in lockstep.   I don't feel bad for Whaley.......he should have had the balls to leave when they hired Rex and undermined years of personnel work done by the organization.   All he did was harm his own reputation staying around to be the Pegula's security blanket.  

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But they were vulnerable and rudderless so they "vote of confidenced" him by finally putting him in charge of a head coaching search........and then........FOR THE THIRD TIME........hired someone the GM didn't prefer.

I don't feel bad for Whaley.......he should have had the balls to leave when they hired Rex and undermined years of personnel work done by the organization.   All he did was harm his own reputation staying around to be the Pegula's security blanket.  

So you think employees should stand up for themselves and walk away from bad management in order to protect themselves and their reputation, and try to find work elsewhere. Especially when they are told they can have input on the HC hire, but than aren't given that opportunity.

Another vote on Watson's side!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

@GunnerBill issue is that McNair apparently hasn't been trustworthy.    The Pegula's aren't trustworthy either.  Gunner has also said he wouldn't work for someone he doesn't trust but in the past he has also said he would quit his job for a scouting job with the Bills.   Another example of why I say these defenses for Watson don't hold up to scrutiny.   If this situation were the Bills and Josh Allen these same people would have a different take on Allen's right to force a trade.

IMO Whaley deserved to go out the door with Rex.   After that end of conference PC where the Pegs were hiding behind the curtain.......I couldn't stand the thought of Whaley staying on.  But they were vulnerable and rudderless so they "vote of confidenced" him by finally putting him in charge of a head coaching search........and then........FOR THE THIRD TIME........hired someone the GM didn't prefer.:doh:  

Your GM and HC need to be in lockstep.   I don't feel bad for Whaley.......he should have had the balls to leave when they hired Rex and undermined years of personnel work done by the organization.   All he did was harm his own reputation staying around to be the Pegula's security blanket.  

I think I have said exactly the opposite about my job actually. Being an entry level scout is hard work for not much pay and the people who make it are not necessarily the most talented but those willing to stick at it and grind. Quitting my job to live in cheap hotels? No thanks. 

But also it isn't about whether a person is generally trustworthy. It is about people who lose your personal trust from things they say to you. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So you think employees should stand up for themselves and walk away from bad management in order to protect themselves and their reputation, and try to find work elsewhere. Especially when they are told they can have input on the HC hire, but than aren't given that opportunity.

Another vote on Watson's side!

I would be more than supportive of Deshaun Watson,  Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers deciding to sit out the 2021 season and finding other jobs that don't violate their contractual obligation to play for only those NFL teams!

Doug Whaley couldn't just quit his job and take another NFL job either.  He was under contract.   He did OK financially,  I think he just finished getting paid........his deal ran thru either 2019 or 2020........but professionally his rep was significantly harmed.   

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They need that. 

Oh of course 😂. Seriously look at that guy’s twitter feed. All bible quotes. I swear it’s like Liberty U. now down there. Good luck with it I guess. 

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would be more than supportive of Deshaun Watson,  Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers deciding to sit out the 2021 season and finding other jobs that don't violate their contractual obligation to play for only those NFL teams!

Doug Whaley couldn't just quit his job and take another NFL job either.  He was under contract.   He did OK financially,  I think he just finished getting paid........his deal ran thru either 2019 or 2020........but professionally his rep was significantly harmed.   

sure you’d have a point if NFL contracts were guaranteed like every other major pro sport, but they’re not. Only thing guaranteed are signing bonuses. So if the NFL wants to follow suit then fine, you have an argument. But sadly, you don’t. Here, have some emojis 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😎

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Director of Football Operations job is not a scouting job it's more like being the personal/executive assistant of the GM.   

In that broad, mult-tasking role they get a good overview of the entire organization.....and how to run it.......but they aren't involved in personnel decisions......unless the GM wants to rub his personnel department in a very wrong direction.

My understanding is that Easterby served a similar role in NE and Belichick delegated a ton of authority to him..........to the point where if anyone wanted anything they came to Easterby first,  which raised eyebrows because BB is a known micro-manager.   

He left NE looking to get a higher position in another organization.   And he had choices.  

I have no idea what a VP of DoFO is when you already have a DoFO.........but this isn't a crazy turn of events.

Brandon Beane was nothing more than a DoFO until 2015!

He had only had 2 seasons of partial involvement in scouting before he became the GM of the Buffalo Bills.

Are you appalled by that?

I know I wasn't thrilled to be getting a guy who had so little experience in scouting players............but that's why the Bills have wisely surrounded the green-Beane with people who have..........and he was a huge upgrade over Whaley in the "executive" portion of the job,  which is something the Pegula's really needed.

There are a lot of jumping to conclusions and taking the side of naturally disgruntled, 4-12 football team players here.............but what's funny was when McD came in with his "process" and different way of doing things and then basically decided he had to gut the team of all its prime young talent because he didn't want to have to win over skeptical young players who had contract leverage......people were nodding in agreement.

And that was a team that could have finished .500.   The Texans are coming off of a 4-12 season.

Lotta' pot calling kettle black around here. 

You have zero idea what you’re talking about. Not one iota. He never held any sort of position like that in NE.

wonder who that “big guy” in Houston was. Maybe the one that just resigned out of disgust?

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ultimately the "free Watson" crowd is bunch of people who are interested to see Watson moved because they know the Texans are going to suck.

Some just want to see him play on a good team........others just feel bad for him because they are projecting themselves into his position or relate to him somehow from their own job.

But the arguments are just excuses to justify "feelings".

Whether it be "jesus freaks", "incompetent ownership" or in your case "untrustworthy ownership"........it's all a lot of vague fluff that doesn't stand up well to further inspection.

Watson may change teams but he also may not..........and if not its not some sort of human tragedy as some would have it seem to be.

Great post. Yes, it makes for a nice feel-good story. :thumbsup:

I ***** hate feel-good stories. :thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh of course 😂. Seriously look at that guy’s twitter feed. All bible quotes. I swear it’s like Liberty U. now down there. Good luck with it I guess. 

sure you’d have a point if NFL contracts were guaranteed like every other major pro sport, but they’re not. Only thing guaranteed are signing bonuses. So if the NFL wants to follow suit then fine, you have an argument. But sadly, you don’t. Here, have some emojis 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😎

@GunnerBill is being serious.   

Watson's 2021 salary is guaranteed.  Same with 2022.  

Why are you here still?:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Boy those guys are sure under-impressed with the Culley hire

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/1/29/22256030/grade-the-david-culley-hire

Part of me wants to believe he's a deserving guy that came with an impressive plan for how he wanted to revive the team, what he wanted to do, and how he'd do it.  Hey, what can I say?  I love a good "Happily Ever After" ending.

So his two most recent stops as we know were:

Baltimore Ravens (2019–2020) Assistant head coach, wide receivers coach & passing game coordinator

Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) Quarterbacks coach

The Ravens are a team that's struggled with the passing game, being 32 in both attempts and yards this season and 32 in attempts, 27 in yards last season.  In 2017 and 2018 the nicest way to put it is to say the Bills QBs struggled.

Now maybe none of that is on him.  Maybe the Ravens, under Roman as OC have a "low interest rate" when it comes to the passing game.

Part of me, my inner cynic, wonders if part of Harbaugh's post-season scheme assessment was that the Ravens needed a new WR coach and passing game coordinator and should move on from Cully.  Then he had a brilliant thought: "I know!  I'll pitch him to the Texans as a worth HC candidate long overdue for an opportunity!  We get new blood at WR coach and at passing game coordinator AND we get two third round draft picks!  Brilliant!"

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Derek Carr is going to fit in there. 

I'm pretty sure the Carrs already know to stay far away from Houston.

Will be very interesting if LV tries to trade him there. That family is on record (often) talking about how that mismanaged franchsie ruined his brother's career.

The Carrs are the original Watson. Would be hilarious if TWO QBs forced their way off the team in one year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

13 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Wonder what’s really happening behind the scenes that two of your star players want out so bad?

Gotta love our organization and how Beane has set it up.  

Which literally included not retaining or trading away any 1st or 2nd round pick still on the Bills roster from prior to their arrival (except Shaq, who they refused the 5th year option on).

Again.........Houston was already going to be bad because of O'Brien's GM work.

Letting Watt walk for nothing was exactly what McDermott did in not franchising Gilmore.........except Gilmore was in his prime and had 1st round trade value.

Even though Gilmore became the NFL's defensive player of the year for our most bitter division enemy........and Woods has had several great seasons..........letting go of your elite franchise QB is another level of stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1