Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh, the Bills once made a totally unqualified marketing guy the actual GM of the football team.  

To the astonishment of many............the Bills current owner made herself the president of both the NHL and NFL teams.

Neither situation looked wise AT ALL.

But as a fan I'm much more comfortable with someone with no experience or professional qualifications for said job in an off-field position than one that is supposed to be scouting and assembling the on-field talent.

Caserio was a legit NFL GM candidate for the past couple seasons.

Okay if that’s your current take (seems like it changes minute to minute with your ramblings) you are aware that Easterby is currently VP of football operations yes? 

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Okay if that’s your current take (seems like it changes minute to minute with your ramblings) you are aware that Easterby is currently VP of football operations yes? 

My position hasn't changed.    Do you know who holds that position in Buffalo?   Don't bother looking it up the answer is nobody.

But the guy is not some totally unqualified rube off the street.   He had authority in the respected Patriots organization and now he's aligned himself with Caserio.  

Serious question........if Brandon Beane were to resign and Kim Pegula made herself the GM would you think Josh Allen then had a right to demand a trade?

Of course not.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The director of football operations for the Bills is Brendan Rowe. 

Yeah the Texans got one of those too.

His name is not Jack Easterby.........it's Clay Hampton.

Whoops.

Thanks for chipping in it always brings a smile to my face knowing you can't not read my posts.😆

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Easterby might be out sooner than we might think. Stay tuned.

Package deal?

He and Watson to Carolina?

I've heard that "jesus freak" Matt Rhule really wanted Easterby..........he'd probably take on Watson's salary to get him.;)

“John McClain, who has covered the Texans for close to five decades, said Wednesday that if Houston trades Deshaun Watson this offseason, it'll be to only one team.

"If they traded him, it would be [to] the Jets," McClain said in an interview with SportsRadio 610 in Houston.”

🤬

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My position hasn't changed.    Do you know who holds that position in Buffalo?   Don't bother looking it up the answer is nobody.

But the guy is not some totally unqualified rube off the street.   He had authority in the respected Patriots organization and now he's aligned himself with Caserio.  

Serious question........if Brandon Beane were to resign and Kim Pegula made herself the GM would you think Josh Allen then had a right to demand a trade?

Of course not.

Lol. I’d love to know the nature of the “authority” Easterby had in New England, as you claim. Especially in regards to football ops. I’m sure BB was running important decisions by the prayer circle leader.

you keep digging that hole you’ll end up in China.

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Right? But Watson is way out of line apparently, according to some. Meanwhile Russel Wilson is complaining to Dan Patrick and hankering for a change, and even Orlando Brown(!) is demanding to get out of Baltimore because he wants to play LT not RT. 

And I don’t fault any of them. This is today’s NFL players have way more leverage now. But the fact that Watson is getting soooooo much grief when the managerial malpractice down in Houston is so blatant, so inexcusable is inexplicable to me. Every single player on that team should be demanding out.

Indeed. And the SI article basically said the locker room supports Watson and shares his frustration. Anyone with any leverage on that roster will try and find a way out. Watson has in some ways the least leverage in the sense that he is tied down for the longest period. In other ways he has the most because he is by far the most valuable commodity on that team. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Did Wentz demand a trade?  I would think the Eagles would be glad to be rid of him.

Reading more about how dysfunctional that organization has been since the Super Bowl victory I don't blame him.  I could see the Colts with Frank Reich and that offensive line resurrecting his career.  

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol. I’d love to know the nature of the “authority” Easterby had in New England, as you claim. Especially in regards to football ops. I’m sure BB was running important decisions by the prayer circle leader.

you keep digging that hole you’ll end up in China.

The Director of Football Operations job is not a scouting job it's more like being the personal/executive assistant of the GM.   

In that broad, mult-tasking role they get a good overview of the entire organization.....and how to run it.......but they aren't involved in personnel decisions......unless the GM wants to rub his personnel department in a very wrong direction.

My understanding is that Easterby served a similar role in NE and Belichick delegated a ton of authority to him..........to the point where if anyone wanted anything they came to Easterby first,  which raised eyebrows because BB is a known micro-manager.   

He left NE looking to get a higher position in another organization.   And he had choices.  

I have no idea what a VP of DoFO is when you already have a DoFO.........but this isn't a crazy turn of events.

Brandon Beane was nothing more than a DoFO until 2015!

He had only had 2 seasons of partial involvement in scouting before he became the GM of the Buffalo Bills.

Are you appalled by that?

I know I wasn't thrilled to be getting a guy who had so little experience in scouting players............but that's why the Bills have wisely surrounded the green-Beane with people who have..........and he was a huge upgrade over Whaley in the "executive" portion of the job,  which is something the Pegula's really needed.

There are a lot of jumping to conclusions and taking the side of naturally disgruntled, 4-12 football team players here.............but what's funny was when McD came in with his "process" and different way of doing things and then basically decided he had to gut the team of all its prime young talent because he didn't want to have to win over skeptical young players who had contract leverage......people were nodding in agreement.

And that was a team that could have finished .500.   The Texans are coming off of a 4-12 season.

Lotta' pot calling kettle black around here. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

“John McClain, who has covered the Texans for close to five decades, said Wednesday that if Houston trades Deshaun Watson this offseason, it'll be to only one team.

"If they traded him, it would be [to] the Jets," McClain said in an interview with SportsRadio 610 in Houston.”

🤬

LOL!  Watson wouldn't report.  They're in worse shape than the Texans!

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Reading more about how dysfunctional that organization has been since the Super Bowl victory I don't blame him.  I could see the Colts with Frank Reich and that offensive line resurrecting his career.  

It's best for both sides to move on.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. And the SI article basically said the locker room supports Watson and shares his frustration. Anyone with any leverage on that roster will try and find a way out. Watson has in some ways the least leverage in the sense that he is tied down for the longest period. In other ways he has the most because he is by far the most valuable commodity on that team. 

Yeah we went thru this when McDermott was hired.

I don't necessarily see McNair as more incompetent than the Pegula's were..........they hired the Rex show.........they hid behind the curtain and sent Whaley out to explain why Rex got fired when it was Pegula who fired Rex after a disrespectful controntation by Ryan.     They proclaimed Whaley the GM and let him spearhead the HC search........and then totally pulled the rug out from under him and canned him for the HC's buddy from the prior gig.

Would you trust, and therefore work for, Terry Pegula?;)

Like I said.......lotta' pot calling kettle black around here.

Point is........perspectives change fast.    The Texans are in a f*cked spot.   Of their own doing, but we are familiar with this kind of thing.   After what O'Brien did they are going to be an unattractive place to play for the next year or so.     

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't necessarily see McNair as more incompetent than the Pegula's were..........they hired the Rex show.........they hid behind the curtain and sent Whaley out to explain why Rex got fired when it was Pegula who fired Rex after a disrespectful controntation by Ryan.     They proclaimed Whaley the GM and let him spearhead the HC search........and then totally pulled the rug out from under him and canned him for the HC's buddy from the prior gig.

There is a HUGE difference between the 2015 Pegulas who were first-time NFL owners and complete outsiders to the league and in way over their head to start, and 2020 Cal McNair whose father started the team and has been around the NFL since at least 1999.

Even with the extra decades of tenure and experience, he has managed is team to be in a far worse place than the Pegulas.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Would you trust, and therefore work for, Terry Pegula?;)

Like I said.......lotta' pot calling kettle black around here.

Point is........perspectives change fast.    The Texans are in a f*cked spot.   Of their own doing, but we are familiar with this kind of thing.   After what O'Brien did they are going to be an unattractive place to play for the next year or so.     

I don't think the Pegulas are great owners. I think Rex and the Sabres shows that. They by luck or judgment got the right guy in McDermott and in fairness to them pretty quickly realised that and gave him the keys to the castle then stepped back and stayed out of the way. McNair did the same but had got the wrong guy in O'Brien. Sometimes on such turns of pitch and toss do things rest. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There is a HUGE difference between the 2015 Pegulas who were first-time NFL owners and complete outsiders to the league and in way over their head to start, and 2020 Cal McNair whose father started the team and has been around the NFL since at least 1999.

Even with the extra decades of tenure and experience, he has managed is team to be in a far worse place than the Pegulas.

Ralph had tons of experience and still made bad decisions.    And the Pegula's weren't entirely unfamiliar with sports ownership........they had owned the Sabres 6 feet into the ground already by then and had even owned a player agency prior to owning the Bills.    Coincidentally, their own former employee Todd France was Dareus' agent when the Pegula's astonishingly OK'd the Dareus contract with no offset language for off-field behavior.:doh:

PSE was a dumpster fire.........make no mistake.........hell, the Sabres still are.

McNair is relatively new in the position.    I hope he struggles because that benefits the Bills.   But again, pot calling kettle black.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Pegulas are great owners. I think Rex and the Sabres shows that. They by luck or judgment got the right guy in McDermott and in fairness to them pretty quickly realised that and gave him the keys to the castle then stepped back and stayed out of the way. McNair did the same but had got the wrong guy in O'Brien. Sometimes on such turns of pitch and toss do things rest. 

Ultimately the "free Watson" crowd is bunch of people who are interested to see Watson moved because they know the Texans are going to suck.

Some just want to see him play on a good team........others just feel bad for him because they are projecting themselves into his position or relate to him somehow from their own job.

But the arguments are just excuses to justify "feelings".

Whether it be "jesus freaks", "incompetent ownership" or in your case "untrustworthy ownership"........it's all a lot of vague fluff that doesn't stand up well to further inspection.

Watson may change teams but he also may not..........and if not its not some sort of human tragedy as some would have it seem to be.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ultimately the "free Watson" crowd is bunch of people who are interested to see Watson moved because they know the Texans are going to suck.

Some just want to see him play on a good team........others just feel bad for him because they are projecting themselves into his position or relate to him somehow from their own job.

But the arguments are just excuses to justify "feelings".

Whether it be "jesus freaks", "incompetent ownership" or in your case "untrustworthy ownership"........it's all a lot of vague fluff that doesn't stand up well to further inspection.

Watson may change teams but he also may not..........and if not its not some sort of human tragedy as some would have it seem to be.

I don't agree that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The people he is working for keep lying to him. I think he is entitled to say "I don't want to work for those people anymore" and try to force his way out. They are entitled to say "no" and eventually one side or other will give in. That is the business side of it. It isn't a tragedy if he isn't moved. Nor would I consider myself a "free Watson" crowder. But I absolutely do think he is fully entitled to feel like he has had enough. I think in the same situation I'd feel the same. I think where Watson is wrong is he should speak to the GM and the Coach and explain it to them face to face (or as close as protocols allow him to get to that). My gut instinct at the start of this was he is going nowhere. My instinct now is the Texans will end up folding and trading him and it may well be bad news for the Bills because I think they may well trade him to the AFC East. I don't want that to happen. That is just where I feel like this is heading.

• Like (+1) 1