Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

this guy is a total ass-clown.   I’d give a slight edge to Allen because he 1) is younger and has more upside,  2) has a better arm.  The only valid argument for trading Allen for Watson is that Watson already has signed his big contract (32m aav),  and will probably be cheaper than Allen’s. Needless to say these guys are in the same class, so it would not be a “no-brainer” as this doofus suggests.  He’s just trying to drive his personal agenda of hate against Josh Allen I guess.

Why is anyone paying attention to a ketchup-mugged Loser?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think Watson is solidly in the top 5. As is Allen. The order in which you put these guys is kind of meaningless. I do think it is clear though, Allen very well could have the highest ceiling of them all. Only Mahomes ceiling might be higher. Watson is a good player but he is not without his own faults. Guy takes a ton of sacks and always has. Every single year of his career. I'm sure it is a big reason why his 12th ranked QBR is much lower than his 2nd ranked 112 passer rating.

Only year Allen had a sack percentage over 8% was his rookie year. Then down to 7% his second year and cut in half to 4% this last year. Watson has been over 8% all four years he has played and that includes one year over 10%.

My only concern about Watson is that his frame is relatively slight.  With his propensity to run and to take sacks, you have to worry about how his body will hold up over a long career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

John Clayton said the other day on GR-55 that he thinks Watson will remain in Houston.

I.E., the organization will find a way to patch things up and keep him.

The owner wants to keep him there, and Watson is not the guy who controls his own movement....the organization is....and so he is expected to remain there, at least according to Clayton.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

My only concern about Watson is that his frame is relatively slight.  With his propensity to run and to take sacks, you have to worry about how his body will hold up over a long career.

This is often brought up by fans, but do you have any data to support the assertion that a "running QB" is injured more than a stationery QB?

What if your QB is injured b/c his own OL steps on his ankle coming out of the snap?

What if he breaks a finger on the follow-through while passing from the pocket?

Do those injuries count?

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

John Clayton said the other day on GR-55 that he thinks Watson will remain in Houston.

I.E., the organization will find a way to patch things up and keep him.

The owner wants to keep him there, and Watson is not the guy who controls his own movement....the organization is....and so he is expected to remain there, at least according to Clayton.

This is often brought up by fans, but do you have any data to support the assertion that a "running QB" is injured more than a stationery QB?

What if your QB is injured b/c his own OL steps on his ankle coming out of the snap?

What if he breaks a finger on the follow-through while passing from the pocket?

Do those injuries count?

No, but it’s the way Watson runs that I think exposes him to injury.  Guys like Russell Wilson seem to run all the time but never take hits.  Watson is more reckless (courageous?) in the way he runs—not unlike Josh Allen—and of course the sacks expose him to injury as well. He’s already torn his ACL during his time with the Texans.

1 minute ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I grew up in the DC area.  It was a slip up from calling them by that name all my life.  BTW you should stay away from personal attacks.

True, I should.  I just figured that after an entire season and with all of the publicity around this issue people would know better than to type that out on a message board, which is much different than “letting it slip” in conversation.  Please accept my apology.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

Watson might be a safer bet.. He’s played at a high level for multiple years, but Nick Wright is trolling.  No GM is trading Allen straight up for Watson, let alone his prickish assertion of adding picks.  Allen has a much higher ceiling (higher than anyone in the league).  If Allen plays well again next year, not even clowns like Wright or Skip can make these arguments anymore.  

I'm not down with "adorable" but the rent-free part is correct.  Of course, it's because Wright's head is scheming "how can I get more publicity here?  I KNOW!"

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

I saw this on a yahoo! article?  Not sure how accurate it is but that's a STEEP price.  2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 defensive starters?  That's gotta be a joke, right?

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-reportedly-have-hefty-price-in-mind-to-start-deshaun-watson-trade-talks-014418649.html

Not surprised. Texans will have a ridiculous price so they can go back to Watson and say "we tried, but no one could get a deal done".

There is no package that doesn’t involve an elite quarterback being included that is worth while for Houston. 
Quarterback is so hard to hit on you don’t trade an elite one away at a young age. 
I have said all along Houston should call his bluff and see if he’ll take the fines and miss games. 
Had he not just signed the extension I would agree with his demands to get out. We’re not talking a franchise tag here though. I would call his bluff. He’s not forfeiting all that money to sit home 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Jester said:

I saw this on a yahoo! article?  Not sure how accurate it is but that's a STEEP price.  2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 defensive starters?  That's gotta be a joke, right?

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-reportedly-have-hefty-price-in-mind-to-start-deshaun-watson-trade-talks-014418649.html

Depending on the quality of the picks and the starters, that feels light. I think most teams would be all over that. If for example, for the Jets, that means #2 pick, a future 1st, 2 future 2nds, Tarell Basham, and Folorunso Fatukasi, they'd probably say yes in a heartbeat. If the defensive players are Quinnen Williams and Marcus Maye instead, maybe not.

Or if it's a team like Washington offering #19 and a future 1st, the 2nds, one of their DTs, and one other defensive player (obviously not Chase Young), I think they'd do it a heartbeat and be thankful Houston came down from the original reported asking price.

Edited by DCOrange

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The reality is that both sides need to be very careful as a trade is just as unlikely as it is likely. People pretend players have a ton of leverage, but teams can sit on the contract and dial up the fines if players push too hard. It’s essentially a political negotiation. 

Edited by whatdrought

On 1/30/2021 at 11:54 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

On the plus side our D-line can count on getting a lot more sacks if Watson goes to Miami. Would be a good year to put in incentives for going over 8 or 10 sacks if Watson is traded to the AFC East. You'd have a sack prone Watson and probably a couple rookie QB's in the division.

He was "sack prone" because his O-line sucked....they gave up 48 sacks compared to 32 for Miami.

What was your point again?

On 1/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Houston's dysfunctional ownership continues to screw up the league, and it disproportionately affects Buffalo.  To recap:

1)  Trades 2 #1st to Miami for Tunsil, giving the Dolphins a top-five pick; Tunsil wasn't extended in advance, giving players in a similar position additional negotiating leverage.

2) Trades Hopkins for peanuts; Hopkins single-handedly beats Buffalo in 2020

3) Hires David Culley instead of Leslie Frazier, giving extra draft capital to the best GM in football

4) Likely trades a top-five QB in his prime to the AFC East

5) Jack Easterbee

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1