Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  All Watson can do is sit out and incur massive fines and likely a loss of part or all of his signing bonus.  Meanwhile the team, as you said, will still suck without him.

Watson has a ton of leverage.  He’s the only valuable asset the franchise has.  He’s the unquestioned leader of the team and the face of the franchise.  He’s also has built up a ton of goodwill by being a great player from day one, and a model citizen off the field.  I don’t know for sure, but I would be willing to bet he’s very popular in the locker room.  A franchise that has done everything wrong lately simply can’t afford to have a disgruntled leader like Watson. The only way out for them is to get as much as they can for him and hope the can land another QB.  

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We've had the conversation about total QBR on this site before.  Bottom line up front: treat it with skepticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

For myself, I continue to be skeptical of proprietary statistics that require 10,000 lines of code and produce results such as the above

Ergo, given its from ESPN, QBR is quite bloody ratshit.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

AJ "I lost a starting job to Nate Peterman" McCarron is their backup

And a high pick in the first round might solve the QB problem.  Also note that there are about 5 first round QB's going to be taken.  That means 5 veteran NFL QB's and maybe some aging starts might be lined up at the soup kitchen and wanting a job,

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If I'm the Texans I would honestly hold on to him and play that game for a season. Get a bunch of cash paid back. Trade him next offseason. 

You lose a ton of value at that point if you are the Texans. Watson is coming off a season where he led the league in passing yards and had a top 5 QB rating of ALL TIME

You think after Watson sits a year and proves he is never coming back teams will offer more? They know you have to dump him and the offers will get lower. Trade him before FA and cut your losses

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends how many bidders. The price might start lower.... but ultimately at the end the last two teams are bidding against each other not bidding against Houston's desire or ability to keep him. He is going to fetch 3 first round picks IMO. Jamal Adams fetched two. The difference between a top 5 safety and a top 5 Quarterback is huge. 

The difference between Adams and a top 5 safety is also huge

• Disagree 1

Does anyone still believe he wasn't using the "no promised phone call" before the GM pick as a front to get off the team?

Does anyone believe that if they  had picked Bienemy as HC, he would stay?

It was all a con.  He just wanted to be on a better team.

Just thinking about how big an advantage for us (and lucky we are) to just draft Josh Allen in the first round, only had to give up two second rounders to get him. It will be great for whoever acquires Watson but they are going to have to give up an absolute boatload of assets too. *end Captain Obvious post*

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Does anyone still believe he wasn't using the "no promised phone call" before the GM pick as a front to get off the team?

Does anyone believe that if they  had picked Bienemy as HC, he would stay?

It was all a con.  He just wanted to be on a better team.

I think the trust has completely broken down. No I don't believe he'd have stayed if they hired Bienemy. I think the only move that might have had influence on him is Cal McNair firing Jack Easterby. And that ain't happening, because, you know..... Jesus and stuff. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the trust has completely broken down. No I don't believe he'd have stayed if they hired Bienemy. I think the only move that might have had influence on him is Cal McNair firing Jack Easterby. And that ain't happening, because, you know..... Jesus and stuff. 

Would Jesus have traded 2 first round picks for Laremy Tunsil?  I don't think so.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not convinced any of that would have made a difference, so it was not about "trust".  He wanted out and put up this front about not being consulted and African American candidates etc.  He took a look around at that roster and realized that the tears of joy he shed (over now getting paid handsomely to play with that same roster) at the beginning of the season had long dried up. 

Sure Easterby is a nutjob (Casserio will push him back into the back office), but Watson had made up his mind long before that promised phone call never came.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Disagree 1

I wouldn’t trade him if I were Houston.

He is BY FAR their most important player AINEC. 

He seems to be upset because he wasn’t included in the GM hire.

But What QB ever is? 

Im not aware of any NFL teams that consult their players on GM hires.

Now, if Cal McNair offered to let Watson have say then went back on his word, he deserves blame. But I still think Watson is being a bit unreasonable here.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mannc said:

Watson has a ton of leverage.  He’s the only valuable asset the franchise has.  He’s the unquestioned leader of the team and the face of the franchise.  He’s also has built up a ton of goodwill by being a great player from day one, and a model citizen off the field.  I don’t know for sure, but I would be willing to bet he’s very popular in the locker room.  A franchise that has done everything wrong lately simply can’t afford to have a disgruntled leader like Watson. The only way out for them is to get as much as they can for him and hope the can land another QB.  

He has no leverage.  After formally requesting a trade, he's not a leader in the locker room, fan favorite or face of the franchise.  His only option now is to sit out because if he plays and doesn't give maximal effort, his teammates will let him know.  

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

AJ "I lost a starting job to Nate Peterman" McCarron is their backup

True.  They might win just 2 games next year instead of 4.

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wouldn’t trade him if I were Houston.

He is BY FAR their most important player AINEC. 

He seems to be upset because he wasn’t included in the GM hire.

But What QB ever is? 

Im not aware of any NFL teams that consult their players on GM hires.

Now, if Cal McNair offered to let Watson have say then went back on his word, he deserves blame. But I still think Watson is being a bit unreasonable here.

That is EXACTLY what happened tho.

McNair created this mess himself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I’d be more sympathetic to Watson if he was halfway through his deal and the Texans fell apart after he signed it, but he signed it last year.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Time to sell the team if you forced yourself into trading a 25 year old franchise QB.  Short of trading for Mahomes, Allen, or Herbert there’s no face-saving trade you can make here.  You either gotta reconcile or make him sit.  
If Watson hates the place so much, why did he sign on a long term extension?  

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

He has no leverage.  After formally requesting a trade, he's not a leader in the locker room, fan favorite or face of the franchise.  His only option now is to sit out because if he plays and doesn't give maximal effort, his teammates will let him know.  

Well, I guess we’ll see, won’t we?  If Watson. gets traded, will you admit that he had leverage?  

And why are you backing Texans’ management, anyway?  They have burned that franchise to the ground and appear to be terrible people, to boot. Deshaun Watson is one of the bright young stars of the sport who by all accounts is a great guy.  So why the hate?  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, I guess we’ll see, won’t we?  If Watson. gets traded, will you admit that he had leverage?  

And why are you backing Texans’ management, anyway?  They have burned that franchise to the ground and appear to be terrible people, to boot. Deshaun Watson is one of the bright young stars of the sport who by all accounts is a great guy.  So why the hate?  

Depends on the parameters of the trade.  If he has to repay the signing bonus and doesn't get to pick where he goes...

And I wouldn't call it hate.  I just think he's being childish and using any excuse he can find because the team had a losing season and they used a lot of resources in trying to get and help him.  Again all of this was known back in September when he accepted the huge new deal, and he went onto have a career year.