Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes, misinformed. Watson was a booster of Saleh.

Actually, the Palmer situation is very similar, and it worked out great for Palmer, who had a late career renaissance after escaping from the tire fire that is the Bengals. My money is on Watson never playing a down for Houston again. People don’t realize how much value guys like watson place on winning.

It's genuinely silly to think the Texans have ANY leverage over Watson in this scenario. NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Antonio Brown showed that the players have all the leverage.

Watson is gone from Houston and don't think Watt isn't too far behind him. I'll bet that Watt goes to Pittsburgh and Watson will surprise people and get himself traded somewhere in the NFC to avoid the young QB dogfight in the AFC.

Just now, Heels20X6 said:

It's genuinely silly to think the Texans have ANY leverage over Watson in this scenario. NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Antonio Brown showed that the players have all the leverage.

Watson is gone from Houston and don't think Watt isn't too far behind him. I'll bet that Watt goes to Pittsburgh and Watson will surprise people and get himself traded somewhere in the NFC to avoid the young QB dogfight in the AFC.

The Texans have all the leverage. 

1 minute ago, Heels20X6 said:

What leverage does Houston have? Apart from the contract (of which Deshaun has a no-trade clause attached to)?

Well there gonna suck either way. Let him holdout and piss away a year of his prime.

Edited by Bferra13

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It was a package deal. They blamed Peters for being overweight, they blamed him for JP getting sacked vs the Jets, they blamed him for holding out, they blamed him for not liking the fact that the Bills gave him a RT contract and then immediately moving him to LT, etc. etc. I lived through it. Calling @PromoTheRobot...

You rang?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Well there gonna suck either way. Let him holdout and piss away a year of his prime.

Yup.  All Watson can do is sit out and incur massive fines and likely a loss of part or all of his signing bonus.  Meanwhile the team, as you said, will still suck without him.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  All Watson can do is sit out and incur massive fines and likely a loss of part or all of his signing bonus.  Meanwhile the team, as you said, will still suck without him.

Your mistake is thinking that having Watson create a negative environment is not going to be a problem for the Texans. It will.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, the Palmer situation is very similar, and it worked out great for Palmer, who had a late career renaissance after escaping from the tire fire that is the Bengals. My money is on Watson never playing a down for Houston again. People don’t realize how much value guys like watson place on winning.

Different for a few reasons.

Palmer had totaled around $80 million in career salary already when he decided to not report to the Bengals. Watson has only totaled half of that, $40 million.

Watson is viewed as a top 5 QB in the league even higher among some. I'm not sure Palmer was even viewed as a top 10 QB. Maybe fringe top 10. Difference between 5 and 10 may not seem like a lot but in terms of a QB it's pretty significant. Much harder pill to swallow for the Texans to cave and trade a top 5 talent at the QB position.

Looking at Watson's salary, if he sits out this entire year he actually doesn't loose that much, only $10 million. So  it actually could be great timing for Watson to sit out a year to prove to the Texans that he is serious. But 2022 he's due $35 million. That's nearly half of what he's made his entire career thus far. That would be a hard season to sit out. But by that point the Texans may cave and trade him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This goes beyond a single season. This could have a decade long impact.

True its a gamble. But stink it up in 21 and get a top 3 draft pick for nothing then trade watson next year for a huge bounty and start again. I mean look who they hired as their coach. Sounds better to me than getting tua and going 7 and 9.

Edited by Bferra13

12 hours ago, dneveu said:

I mean, that could be a negotiation with him.  He has a no trade clause, but i might say - we'll do what we can to move you.  Whats the NFC list look like?  

Well, I have to say. That takes some serious stones to request a trade when you have a no trade clause.

5 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

True its a gamble. But stink it up in 21 and get a top 3 draft pick for nothing then trade watson next year for a huge bounty and start again. I mean look who they hired as their coach. Sounds better to me than getting tua and going 7 and 9.

It's a good point, that they will always be able to trade Watson for likely two first round picks next off-season even if he sits out the entire year. So with that being the case, try to call his bluff and hope he reports to camp and cooler heads prevail. 

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Watson sitting out a full season could jeopardize the locker room moving forward and free agents that look at Houston as a destination. But then again, trading Watson pretty much jeopardizes your long-term future anyway if you don't find a franchise QB to replace him.

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Your mistake is thinking that having Watson create a negative environment is not going to be a problem for the Texans. It will.

Your mistake is thinking that caving to a star's demands just a few months after he signs a huge extension won't create a problem for them.  It will.

13 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Houston's dysfunctional ownership continues to screw up the league, and it disproportionately affects Buffalo.  To recap:

1)  Trades 2 #1st to Miami for Tunsil, giving the Dolphins a top-five pick; Tunsil wasn't extended in advance, giving players in a similar position additional negotiating leverage.

2) Trades Hopkins for peanuts; Hopkins single-handedly beats Buffalo in 2020

3) Hires David Culley instead of Leslie Frazier, giving extra draft capital to the best GM in football

4) Likely trades a top-five QB in his prime to the AFC East

Thanks for ruining my night. 🤪.   You’re right though.  Houston is the gift that keeps giving.  I know I was steadfast he’s not getting traded, but maybe.  He’d have to go nuclear, and the coach and GM are going to get torched by the owner for not salvaging the situation.

The football gods are against us.  If I’m him (and I’m not), if the Fins make the right offer, that’s the place Watson would approve.  The agent telling him, they turned around their team to 10-6 from 5-11, lots of young talent from last years draft and FA bonanza last year.  Another 10 picks this year and they still have $26 mil. In cap space, why wouldn’t he want that destination?  They have the $ to deal with his contract.  The other would be SF.  They have $12.5 mil. In space and just went to the SB last year.  When their guys get healthy, it makes complete sense.  I can’t see him approving a Jets trade.  They have everything you want to make the deal, but that team is a hot mess.  That actually would be best for us as even Watson can’t fix that team.

So go J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.  Miami is a real threat.  SF not so much so that would be second for me from a Bills perspective.  We won’t see them for four years unless we both make the SB.  Please not Miami as I still hate those guys from the 70’s.