Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is reportedly going to cost between three and four first round picks to be done. I think Miami is going to get him.

The Jets could put a better offer on the table than Miami. Either way their is a good chance he lands in the division.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is reportedly going to cost between three and four first round picks to be done. I think Miami is going to get him.

I don't care who you are trading for. Giving up 4 1st round picks would ruin that franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

This makes sense, but the Jets have a ton of ammo too, and I personally prefer Darnold to Tua. But the Texans might feel otherwise.

Lets see how smart Flores really is. He might actually think he can develop Tua into some sort of superstar..   we will build around him just like the Bills did with Allen blah blah blah.  I didnt realize how bad Darnolds numbers were this year and yes he was on a terrible team but his rating has dropped every year.  I can see the Jets moving on from Darnold.

Its a shame really, we had a great situation in the AFCE...Miami has the low ceiling future QB, Jets squandered possibly ruined Darnold, the Pats have no real QB.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I have a feeling we'll be seeing him twice a year for a while.

Miami worries me more as they already have a decent roster.  Add Watson, hey could be come very good with few other moves.  If the Jets give up a number of good picks to get Watson, they will still be left with holes and no high draft picks to use to get the players.

Maybe Houston would be smart and try to trade to NFC team so they to don't need to face him. But not sure what NFC teams have the picks to do it with.  Maybe Houston will figure they need more than one year anyway so would take 1sts spread over two years as that would then open up other teams.

17 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I agree here. The value proposition on Watson is that he's probably worth five or six first-round picks and then some if elite defensive players and elite receivers are going for two. 

If Houston decides to move Watson it means they're blowing it up and with the trade request coming in they can make that decision if they want. The important thing is that they get full value in return, and in that sense the only currency that they should really want is draft picks so they can build up a young roster and keep cap space free.

The problem is, they are dealing from a position of weakness now that he has requested a trade and everyone knows he won't play for them so at some point they are going to have to take the best offer they can get, and almost assuredly they will do it prior to the draft so they are even backed into a corner in terms of how much time they have as well.   They are going to get nowhere close to what they could have gotten otherwise, and no team is going to give up that many 1st round picks no matter how good a QB is.  They also picked the worst possible time to have to trade a player on a relatively big contract since so many teams have low amounts of cap space due to COVID.  I predict they get maybe 2 firsts and a lower round pick...if it is the Jets/Dolphins trading I doubt they offer them the #2/#3 pick and then still give up another first...other teams are offering them much less valuable first round picks, they would be smart to offer them the lower first rounders they have.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lets see how smart Flores really is. He might actually think he can develop Tua into some sort of superstar..   we will build around him just like the Bills did with Allen blah blah blah.  I didnt realize how bad Darnolds numbers were this year and yes he was on a terrible team but his rating has dropped every year.  I can see the Jets moving on from Darnold.

Its a shame really, we had a great situation in the AFCE...Miami has the low ceiling future QB, Jets squandered possibly ruined Darnold, the Pats have no real QB.

I am worried about the Pats, to be honest. They went 7-9 with a garbage roster, have 10 opt-outs coming back (including Dont'a Hightower, an awesome player), 10 draft picks, and over $60 million in cap space. In an interview mid-season, Matt Light said that Belichick felt all along that this was a joke of a season given Covid (I disagree about that), and that the solution was to load up to go all in in 2021. It is the case that he's the greatest coach ever.  As for QB, there are enough decent options floating around out there that I fear they'll end up with someone who is at least pretty good. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The problem is, they are dealing from a position of weakness now that he has requested a trade and everyone knows he won't play for them so at some point they are going to have to take the best offer they can get, and almost assuredly they will do it prior to the draft so they are even backed into a corner in terms of how much time they have as well.   They are going to get nowhere close to what they could have gotten otherwise, and no team is going to give up that many 1st round picks no matter how good a QB is.  They also picked the worst possible time to have to trade a player on a relatively big contract since so many teams have low amounts of cap space due to COVID.  I predict they get maybe 2 firsts and a lower round pick...if it is the Jets/Dolphins trading I doubt they offer them the #2/#3 pick and then still give up another first...other teams are offering them much less valuable first round picks, they would be smart to offer them the lower first rounders they have.

Think you are going to be shocked. There will be a bidding war. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

The last person to try the whining move was Leveon Bell. He wound up losing quite a bit of money. 

The last person was actually Jalen Ramsey. It worked out for him. 

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only hope I have in all of this is Nick Caserio.  My hope is he is smart enough not to trade this guy in the AFC. 

I cannot believe how insanely stupid the Texans are with a no trade clause...my God man.  

Fyi, here are the details: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30749365/deshaun-watson-no-trade-clause-puts-houston-texans-no-win-situation

FWIW, I fully expect that Allen will get a no-trade clause given that Mahomes, Watson, and Russell (the immediate predecessor models  for his contract) all have one. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think you are going to be shocked. There will be a bidding war. 

I don't see it.  Teams are going to give up massive draft capital AND take on the biggest contract on their team by far as well?  Not happening.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only hope I have in all of this is Nick Caserio.  My hope is he is smart enough not to trade this guy in the AFC. 

I cannot believe how insanely stupid the Texans are with a no trade clause...my God man.  

I am one of the LAST people to defend the Texans brain trust but living down here I hear more about them than I care.  

They got Watson so sign  an otherwise Texans=-attractive deal and one of the freebies (or so the Texans thought) they threw in for him to sign is we will never ever want you to go away.  LOL.  Great example of be careful what you wish for.

• Like (+1) 1