Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There is no great answer here. Forcing a malcontent to play won’t yield good locker room. If he sits out, maybe just postponing the inevitable. If you don’t try to trade for assets, which he could garner a windfall than you’ve squandered that opportunity too. 

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

????

Garropolo has a $2M cap hit next year if traded. I think Tua’s traded hit is probably higher.

Good to know. Didn't realize that. Thanks. That said, wouldn't the signing bonus accelerate from $24 million to $48 million on SF's balance sheet this year?

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He can void a deal to Detroit because of his no-trade clause. I don't know why people get upset about this stuff. He's gone, and it's in the best interest for everyone if he's traded. The Texans need a new start, and they can get a boatload for him. 

Except he's not really gone is he. He has a contract and no way out of it other than to whine and complain. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why take a QB? If you are getting #2 or #3 you don't need to. Pick your own rather than taking a reclamation project that is gonna be almost impossible to sell to your already furious fanbase. 

For me 3 #1 picks plus either two #3s or a #2 and a #4 is about where I'd pitch the price. 

Should say if I am trading with the 9ers or Panthers I do want their QB as part of the deal because I am probably out of position to draft one.

If I am trading a 2nd or 3rd overall pick I am most certainly not giving them 2 other first rounders.  Why would the Texans think those teams are going to agree to that when other teams are offering them a mid or late first round pick this year? Do they think they are stupid to not realize that a 2nd/3rd pick is hugely more valuable than a 10th or 15th or 20th overall pick?? 

If I'm either of those teams it is limited to the #2/#3 overall pick and a QB swap with maybe some lower round picks in there.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You are excluding Colts because they are in division? What about Bears, Patriots, Giants?

Yea I see Stafford to the Colts as all but a done deal. Giants maybe, Bears..... Pace and Nagy are on the hotseat not sure Watson would want to go somewhere where there may be more dysfunction upcoming. Patriots is just not attractive to a Quarterback.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And he is a Georgia kid isn't he Deshaun?

Yes, a big reason why I mentioned them too. He's local and would probably like to come back if the Falcons can make it work.

I wonder if they could send Matt Ryan as part of the deal, but I'm sure he has a NTC as well.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If I am trading a 2nd or 3rd overall pick I am most certainly not giving them 2 other first rounders.  Why would the Texans think those teams are going to agree to that when other teams are offering them a mid or late first round pick this year? Do they think they are stupid to not realize that a 2nd/3rd pick is hugely more valuable than a 10th or 15th or 20th overall pick?? 

If I'm either of those teams it is limited to the #2/#3 overall pick and a QB swap with maybe some lower round picks in there.

In which case can't see that being attractive to the Texans. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea I see Stafford to the Colts as all but a done deal. Giants maybe, Bears..... Pace and Nagy are on the hotseat not sure Watson would want to go somewhere where there may be more dysfunction upcoming. Patriots is just not attractive to a Quarterback.

Nothing on the Stafford to Washington talk?

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Exactly. 

Good to know. Didn't realize that. Thanks. That said, wouldn't the signing bonus accelerate from $24 million to $48 million on SF's balance sheet this year?

No. 

Jimmy G’s contract was a classic case of everyone getting ahead of themselves that he was being overpaid and overrated. They locked him up for 3 seasons with an easy out.

The 49ers can cut him this offseason and save $23M in space.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Ah okay. My mistake. 

Gainesville, Georgia! 

you had it right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He can void a deal to Detroit because of his no-trade clause. I don't know why people get upset about this stuff. He's gone, and it's in the best interest for everyone if he's traded. The Texans need a new start, and they can get a boatload for him. 

I didnt realize he had a no trade clause, that was another stupid move by the Texans.   People get upset about this stuff, because petulance shouldnt be rewarded.   Then again, I am in the shrinking number of people that dont believe you give people whatever they want just because they want it. 

It sets a bad precedence for the rest of the league, and what you end up with is employees who think they run the show.   Pretty soon the league will be unwatchable and insufferable because employees, on teams that sunk a ton of time and money into players will be forcing their ways off of said teams to play with their buddies in other cities.  Why dont we just do away with the draft altogether and ask College kids where they want to play?

It seems almost likely at this point that he ends up in the division.

The difference between the AFC and NFC at the QB position is becoming lopsided. I wish he'd end up in the NFC, if only for a little bit of balance.  The AFC is looking brutal in the years ahead w/ the # of good & great young QB's.

That's not going to happen. He's gone, and he has the ability to force the trade. He has a ton of value, and the Texans can get a ton for him. Cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't a great strategy, especially in a not-for-long league with a new coach/GM who will be given a grace period because it's a new start. 

I get it, believe me. I am well aware that Houston has created most of their own problems. However, Watson isn't completely blameless in this entire fisco. You don't think he was well aware of all of the issues with this franchise before he signed a new contract? And, honestly, his behavior hasn't been much more professional than theirs.

I think the value for him is limited because the would reach new levels of ineptness in trading a franchise QB within the division or conference - and that is where the teams are that can offer the most. Nothing could be worse for that team than to have to face him any future playoff scenarios within the conference. So, if they go out of conference, as they should, they are not going to get nearly as much for him.

I hate when I see situations like this where, as professionals, they should be able to reach some agreement.