Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

I think Houston is an incredibly stupid organization, but Watson looks like a complete loser in this deal. 

If I were Houston I wouldnt take anything less than 4 first round picks for the guy or two 1sts and an established veteran QB.   Dolphins fans who think Tua factors into this at all are out of their mind, you have the guy for a year and dont want him, but think that another team that's never had him in their building thinks the kid is worthy of being in a trade for one the best quarterbacks in the league?   No chance.  And not for nothing, its going to cost the Texans 20 Million dollars just to trade him. 

Watson wants to be in New York thats obvious, but again if I am in Houston, I do not trade him in the AFC. 

That said there are only two teams I consider if I am the Texans and thats the Lions or the 49ers.

I'd ask the Lions to give me Stafford and two first round picks or the 49ers to give me Jimmy G and two 1sts.

Thats it, otherwise I tell Watson to go pound salt.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would add the Lions to the list and possibly Atlanta if they really want to shake things up...

Atlanta is too cap restricted to make it work I think. And I am not sure he would go to Detroit but sure they could be interested. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, Houston shouldn't trade him. Tell him to play...or sit out.

that’s where I am at.

There is no chance I would move him. You just bank on Culley figuring out a way to repair the relationship. 

Also, Watson strikes me as a good guy. I think if the Texans should some degree of competence with the new GM and coach, he will come around. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, Houston shouldn't trade him. Tell him to play...or sit out.

There is no great answer here. Forcing a malcontent to play won’t yield good locker room. If he sits out, maybe just postponing the inevitable. If you don’t try to trade for assets, which he could garner a windfall than you’ve squandered that opportunity too. 

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Houston's dysfunctional ownership continues to screw up the league, and it disproportionately affects Buffalo.  To recap:

1)  Trades 2 #1st to Miami for Tunsil, giving the Dolphins a top-five pick; Tunsil wasn't extended in advance, giving players in a similar position additional negotiating leverage.

2) Trades Hopkins for peanuts; Hopkins single-handedly beats Buffalo in 2020

3) Hires David Culley instead of Leslie Frazier, giving extra draft capital to the best GM in football

4) Likely trades a top-five QB in his prime to the AFC East

And the playoff game last year.

Hope they follow Hopkins trade model and send to NFC team.

IMO SF is the best place for Watson if he wants to win now. Shanahan is one of the best offensive minds in the league and he'd be falling into a bunch of weapons with Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk. They also have a solid RB stable. Then you can throw in the top 5 defense they will have again when everyone comes back healthy. 

Edited by H2o
  • Agree 1

He can ask for as many trades as he'd like. If I'm Caserio I tell him to play out his contract or play out his contract. The hiring of Culley, who I don't think is expected to be some sort of long-term savior, would indicate to me that the Texans are about to start a re-build.

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

Miami just makes too much sense. Tua or Deshaun Watson? Looks like will be seeing Watson twice a year 

Miami would be tough if they get Watson.  

I'm not too worried about the Jets with him... He'd basically be going to a team worse than where he came from, and depending on what they have to give up, it may not get better very soon. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get that but the Texans have very little on that roster. If I get #2 or #3 I am picking one of those 3 QBs that are not Lawrence and then maximising my capital to try and put stuff around him. So basically I want picks instead of Tua or Darnold. If my QB gets hurt? Well I will just be like most NFL franchises when their QB goes down.

Re QBs going down, check out this quote from Ron Jaworski's book:

'As we watched, we were surprised to see Manning taking virtually all the reps in the session.  Jon [Gruden] asked Tom [Moore, the Colts offensive coordinator,] why he wasn’t giving some snaps to Peyton’s backups…He looked at us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, “Fellas, if ‘18’ goes down, we’re f*cked.  And we don’t practice f*cked.”'

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

He can ask for as many trades as he'd like. If I'm Caserio I tell him to play out his contract or play out his contract. The hiring of Culley, who I don't think is expected to be some sort of long-term savior, would indicate to me that the Texans are about to start a re-build.

This is exactly it.  The NFL cannot allow their league to become what the NBA has become.   The league is a complete joke.

Sorry buddy, you can either play the contract you signed or you can go sit at home and not get paid.  Otherwise I am sending your butt to Detroit, and if you choose not to go there once you've been traded, you can once again go home and sit on your butt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

IMO SF is the best place for Watson if he wants to win now. Shanahan is one of the best offensive minds in the league and he'd be falling into a bunch of weapons with Kittles, Samuel, and Aiyuk. They also have a solid RB stable. Then you can throw in the top 5 defense they will have again when everyone comes back healthy. 

SF doesn't have enough: 12th, 44th, and 112th picks. They have no third rounder. I guess it depends on who you prefer Jimmy G, Darnold, or Tua. The problem with Garapolo is his big contract. The Texans have a bad cap situation. The other two are on rookie contracts, and personally I think Darnold has a fair bit more upside than Tua.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Atlanta is too cap restricted to make it work I think. And I am not sure he would go to Detroit but sure they could be interested. 

Atl totally is cap screwed, their time to tear it apart a bit is coming up though. Was simply just considering it would be a fun move and would be cool to see a QB swap like that

• Agree 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

This is exactly it.  The NFL cannot allow their league to become what the NBA has become.   The league is a complete joke.

Sorry buddy, you can either play the contract you signed or you can go sit at home and not get paid.  Otherwise I am sending your butt to Detroit, and if you choose not to go there once you've been traded, you can once again go home and sit on your butt.

He can void a deal to Detroit because of his no-trade clause. I don't know why people get upset about this stuff. He's gone, and it's in the best interest for everyone if he's traded. The Texans need a new start, and they can get a boatload for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1