Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Atlanta, I'm trying to figure out how to move worlds to get this done. Bonus to us, taking him out of the AFC, and especially the AFC East.

But I dont think they have the resources to compete with the Jets and Dolphins.

They play the AFCE this year though... even if just to avoid the really bad optics in likely a punted season it might be worth it.  Nobody knows who's on his list other than supposedly miami and the jets.  I'd imagine SF, maybe LA rams, maybe LV.  Who really knows.  Getting pick 2 or 3 is nice.  But you're probably getting pick 1-3 next season if you went 4-12 WITH watson, i can only imagine the next year or 2 without him, and without a ton of talent.  So if i'm punting on 2021 (and probably 2022) - Just give me lots of picks and get the guy out of conference if i can avoid it.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

why would he possibly not want to play for them anymore?

Well...

*gestures broadly at everything*

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They play the AFCE this year though... even if just to avoid the really bad optics in likely a punted season it might be worth it.  Nobody knows who's on his list other than supposedly miami and the jets.  I'd imagine SF, maybe LA rams, maybe LV.  Who really knows.  Getting pick 2 or 3 is nice.  But you're probably getting pick 1-3 next season if you went 4-12 WITH watson, i can only imagine the next year or 2 without him, and without a ton of talent.  So if i'm punting on 2021 (and probably 2022) - Just give me lots of picks and get the guy out of conference if i can avoid it.

I hope so, but I think you might be giving the smooth brains in the texans org too much credit. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

This is a good point. This is why a team like SF makes a lot of sense. They can part with a few high picks over the next few years and give you a viable starter in Jimmy G so it doesn't look like a complete tank

SF with Watson absolutely goes back to the Super Bowl. That easily makes them the best team in the NFC

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billsherd said:

I think Houston tells him  to pick few NFC team as options.

Don't know if they have what it takes to make the trade but the Saints should be all over this. Brees is done and they have a strong team . They get Watson they are the favored to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl next year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Atlanta, I'm trying to figure out how to move worlds to get this done. Bonus to us, taking him out of the AFC, and especially the AFC East.

But I dont think they have the resources to compete with the Jets and Dolphins.

Yup. A sensible trade would be Darnold, the #2 overall pick, and the #34 pick. I still think Darnold has real potential and upside. They don't have picks in the first two rounds, and they have a bad cap situation. Rookie contracts are a quick solution to that problem.  As for the Jets, they'd still have the 27th, 66th, 91st, 98th, 130th, and 138th picks. That's 6 picks in the first five rounds, and they have the ammo to move up if there's a player they really want. They also have a TON of cap space - over $60 million.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Houston's dysfunctional ownership continues to screw up the league, and it disproportionately affects Buffalo.  To recap:

1)  Trades 2 #1st to Miami for Tunsil, giving the Dolphins a top-five pick; Tunsil wasn't extended in advance, giving players in a similar position additional negotiating leverage.

2) Trades Hopkins for peanuts; Hopkins single-handedly beats Buffalo in 2020

3) Hires David Culley instead of Leslie Frazier, giving extra draft capital to the best GM in football

4) Likely trades a top-five QB in his prime to the AFC East

DeCosta is the best GM in football? Not sure about that

Just now, RiotAct said:

🤦🏼‍♂️

Houston should just fold.

Wait until they trade Watt too. There will be a million fan march when they get rid of both Watson and JJ after trading Nuk last year. 

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Don't know if they have what it takes to make the trade but the Saints should be all over this. Brees is done and they have a strong team . They get Watson they are the favored to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl next year.

Doubt this happens, The Saints are 100 million over the cap and adding his contract would be killer.  Would have to cut a ton of players.  Not to mention all their picks are late in each round.  Keeping him out of the AFC East would be great though

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, Houston shouldn't trade him. Tell him to play...or sit out.

That's not going to happen. He's gone, and he has the ability to force the trade. He has a ton of value, and the Texans can get a ton for him. Cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't a great strategy, especially in a not-for-long league with a new coach/GM who will be given a grace period because it's a new start. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, there is the point that roughly 2/3 of even first round draft picks don't work out, and some need a bit of time to adjust.

And some break their leg or tear their ACL or something

So a backup plan who has showed some ability to play on an NFL football field is not the worst notion.

I get that but the Texans have very little on that roster. If I get #2 or #3 I am picking one of those 3 QBs that are not Lawrence and then maximising my capital to try and put stuff around him. So basically I want picks instead of Tua or Darnold. If my QB gets hurt? Well I will just be like most NFL franchises when their QB goes down.

This might be a strange thought process but he or his agent might try to orchestrate the best trade to an NFC team.  The AFC is fairly loaded with QB talent and it's harder at this point to get to a Super Bowl.   You have to get through Mahomes, Lamar, Baker, Allen, Herbert, Tannehill...and don't forger Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence soon on the scene.

The NFC side has Russell Wilson and a mish mosh of aging stars or mediocre's.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Deshaun Watson would run the city of Atlanta if they figured out a way to get that done.  I can't think of a better landing spot.  

Maybe his clutch gene will carry over to the rest of that team and get them over the hump.