The Chiefs Defense Used Four Big Safeties To Get To The Super Bowl

HOUSE

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hmm...

The Bills ride an elite passing offense to a 13-3 record, only to see the opposition sell out to stop the pass by deploying six defensive backs in the biggest game of the year.

Where have I heard this one before? 

Oh, right. Super Bowl XXV.

History repeats. Only this time, unlike the '90 team, the Bills aren't even ABLE to run the ball well when dared to do so. 

This is what we mean when we say the Bills need to be able to run the ball. Not that they need to run it more often, but that they need to be able to run it EFFECTIVELY when the game calls for it. Unless and until they can run the ball well, this is just going to keep happening.

Exactly what I thought during the game and before it. How many times have we seen high flying pass oriented offenses humbled by defensive schemes that arent pretty but very effective in the playoffs? its happened forever in the NFL if the coaches are good enough. Our biggest failure was giving up on the run too soon. If they knew Singletary was not up to it they should have dressed Antonio Williams. In the game they should have kept plugging away with Yeldon. But they waited too long and the game got away from them!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Agreed.  

Because it isn't just him - its daboll, its allen, its the offensive line.  Bad call - play blown up.  Bad check - play blown up.  Bad Blocking - play blown up.  People act like having speed is going to fix the running game somehow. 

I'd personally start with the offensive line.  I think some changes need to be made, and an attempt needs to be made to find premier talent.  It helps both passing and rushing offenses.  Buffalo had some pro-bowlers on the line with wood (1x), and Incognito (3x).  But as of right now the unit is not particularly good.

Maybe but why blow up the OL when for the most part they were excellent giving Josh time to throw and he put up the best passing numbers in team history.  Much easier to find a more violent powerful back who can get tough yards and move the chains.  I’d settle for a RB who can fall forward for an extra 1-2 yards when tackled.  Singletary leaves so many yards on the field.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Article lost all credibility for me when 5’9” 190lb Matthieu is referred to as a big safety.  He’s awesome but he ain’t big.  

Sorenson is prob the only one I would call big at 6’2” 208. He’s the same height and weight I was in high school at same position. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Maybe but why blow up the OL when for the most part they were excellent giving Josh time to throw and he put up the best passing numbers in team history.  Much easier to find a more violent powerful back who can get tough yards and move the chains.  I’d settle for a RB who can fall forward for an extra 1-2 yards when tackled.  Singletary leaves so many yards on the field.  

Because that doesn't help when you get hit 2 yards behind the LOS.  They were fine in pass pro for the most part - until the playoffs basically. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Hmm...

The Bills ride an elite passing offense to a 13-3 record, only to see the opposition sell out to stop the pass by deploying six defensive backs in the biggest game of the year.

History repeats. Only this time, unlike the '90 team, the Bills aren't even ABLE to run the ball well when dared to do so. 

This is what we mean when we say the Bills need to be able to run the ball. Not that they need to run it more often, but that they need to be able to run it EFFECTIVELY when the game calls for it. Unless and until they can run the ball well, this is just going to keep happening.

The difference being that the 90 Bills could and did run against that defense.  They just didn't do it enough.  And that game was lost on 3rd and 13 when 5 different players had a chance to make a tackle.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Given the metrics of what KC does best and what the Bills do best....Spagnuolo correctly utilized and leveraged the KC defense to optimally defend against Buffalo's powerful passing attack that ran 3 and 4 wide fromations as much or more  than any other team.  This allowed KC to keep its crappy coverage LB's on the bench.  The Bills need to add a TE that is a threat and/or some RB's that are feauterd as pass catchers.

If ever there was a need for Thurman-esque hands/movement out of the backfield, this would've been it. Singletary might still be running had his fingers not been coated in buttered grease :doh:

4 hours ago, H2o said:

The only reason they could do this is because we don't have an effective running game. They don't have to respect it. They played to stop the pass, our three main guys were all hobbled to some extent, and it was a flawless move by Spagnuolo. Lets not forget that he was the DC for those Giants teams that stopped Tom Brady in two SB's. One of those was the #3 scoring offense of all time, calling a game that held them to 14 pts. He's an excellent DC. Always has been. We just need to be more balanced so that people have to account for everything and know that they can't stop us if they eliminate one aspect. 

Agreed! Only small nitpick is that the Giants' 2nd Pats dragon slaying team featured Perry Fewell as the DC, but your point still stands. 

25 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed! Only small nitpick is that the Giants' 2nd Pats dragon slaying team featured Perry Fewell as the DC, but your point still stands. 

You're absolutely right. I forgot he had left for the Rams as head coach in '09. I was thinking it was after the 2nd SB victory. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Given the metrics of what KC does best and what the Bills do best....Spagnuolo correctly utilized and leveraged the KC defense to optimally defend against Buffalo's powerful passing attack that ran 3 and 4 wide fromations as much or more  than any other team.  This allowed KC to keep its crappy coverage LB's on the bench.  The Bills need to add a TE that is a threat and/or some RB's that are feauterd as pass catchers.

An elite TE &/or RB would do wonders to keep defenses honest. Especially the Chiefs. Daboll failed miserably not developing a better run attack as the season progressed. He got so caught up in Josh's video game numbers that he basically just abandoned it in the 2nd half of the season. Moss getting hurt only amplified that. Andy was probably licking his chops.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The plan was to dare the refs to call defensive holding and illegal contact like the Legion of Boom used to do and do it every play knowing the refs can only call it so much. In this case much like the other playoff games they swallowed the whistles. Fair play to them, the Bills should have adjusted to it better.

I agree with this 💯 

what are your thoughts on this @Zerovoltz?

smart strategy considering how the refs are calling things these days. If they let you cheat, then by golly, we should be cheating too.  Too bad our DBs were 5-20 yards off of their WRs/TE

i absolutely feel we should be chilling and holding Kelce off the snap next season if the refs are again allowing teams to get away with the smaller stuff

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree with this 💯 

what are your thoughts on this @Zerovoltz?

smart strategy considering how the refs are calling things these days. If they let you cheat, then by golly, we should be cheating too.  Too bad our DBs were 5-20 yards off of their WRs/TE

i absolutely feel we should be chilling and holding Kelce off the snap next season if the refs are again allowing teams to get away with the smaller stuff

The chiefs corners are pretty physical.  I’d have to watch it again to pay attention to see the grabbing etc.  I’m sure there was some.  KC doesn’t play a lot of off coverage.  Spags will put them in man more often than you’d probably think.  They press well.  

My thought wouldn’t change much though.....present KC with a TE or RB threat out of backfield, you get the bad LB corps on the field and exploit that.  Apparently our LB aren’t nearly as good at doing whatever the DBs are doing in coverage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2021 at 9:43 AM, Logic said:

Hmm...

This, post of the year👍So tired of hearing we don’t need a good running back or running game...

On 1/28/2021 at 10:20 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Sorenson is prob the only one I would call big at 6’2” 208. He’s the same height and weight I was in high school at same position. 

Holy crap... glad I didn't play WR against you in high school!

Or, at least I don't think I did. Maybe you and your FS malachi-crunched me so bad I don't remember.

• Haha (+1) 1