Is anybody talking about the 2021 schedule?

eball

Going back over the Week 1 games, these are the scenarios these past 10 or so years...

2020 - KC vs Houston, KC defeated Houston in the 2019 Divisional round on their way to a SB win
2019 - GB vs Chicago, believe this was because of the NFL 100th anniversary
2018 - Philly vs Atlanta, Philly beat Atlanta in the 2017 Divisional round on their way to a SB win
2017 - KC vs NE, KC lost to the Steelers in the 2016 Divisional Round, who then lost to NE in the Conference Championship
2016 - Carolina vs Denver, Denver beat Carolina in the previous season SB
2015 - Pittsburgh vs NE, Pitts lost to Baltimore in the WC round, who then lost to NE in the Divisional Round, on their way to a SB win
2014 - GB vs Seattle, GB lost to San Fran in the WC Round, who then lost to Seattle in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win
2013 - Baltimore vs Denver, Baltimore beat Denver in the Divisional Round, on their way to a SB win
2012 - Dallas vs NY Giants, Dallas did not make the 2011 playoffs, NY was the SB champion, having beat NE
2011 - GB vs NO, NO lost to Seattle in the WC Round, who lost to Chicago in the Divisional Round, who lost to GB in the Conference Championship, who then beat Pittsburgh to be SB Champs
2010 - NO vs Minnesota, NO beat Minnesota in the Conference Championship on their way to a SB win
2009 - Pittsburgh vs Tenn, Tenn lost to Baltimore in the Divisional Round, who then lost to Pittsburgh in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win
2008 - NY Giants vs Washington, Washington lost to Seattle in the WC Round, who then lost to GB in the Divisional Round, who then lost to the Giants in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win

So except for 2012, and 2019, every year has some sort of playoffs tie in. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Blasphemy Doc, the Pats?  😄  I agree with you there will always be unexpected losses.  Remember this year, everyone was commenting before the Titans that we would win because we beat them in 19, even though it barely against Marriotta.  I guess this is why I don’t bet on football.  Too many variable makes it too risky.  A case in point the 4-11 Dolphins beat the Pats in week 17 of 2019.  Anyone predict that one.

It should be a fun year.  Sad this one’s over, but only 1 fan base is happy every year.

Go Bills!

You know, this 2020 season was the exception to that rule.  Not saying that I didn't think we could beat Tennessee, KC and Arizona in the regular season (or KC in the playoffs), but none of those losses were super surprising.  Going in, we really didn't know just how good the Bills would be this year, so assuming victories over Chiefs and Titans was something I don't think most did...and for some reason, the way the Arizona game fell on the schedule, I always had that game earmarked as a loss.  

What a great season this really was.  

15 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Going back over the Week 1 games, these are the scenarios these past 10 or so years...

2020 - KC vs Houston, KC defeated Houston in the 2019 Divisional round on their way to a SB win
2019 - GB vs Chicago, believe this was because of the NFL 100th anniversary
2018 - Philly vs Atlanta, Philly beat Atlanta in the 2017 Divisional round on their way to a SB win
2017 - KC vs NE, KC lost to the Steelers in the 2016 Divisional Round, who then lost to NE in the Conference Championship
2016 - Carolina vs Denver, Denver beat Carolina in the previous season SB
2015 - Pittsburgh vs NE, Pitts lost to Baltimore in the WC round, who then lost to NE in the Divisional Round, on their way to a SB win
2014 - GB vs Seattle, GB lost to San Fran in the WC Round, who then lost to Seattle in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win
2013 - Baltimore vs Denver, Baltimore beat Denver in the Divisional Round, on their way to a SB win
2012 - Dallas vs NY Giants, Dallas did not make the 2011 playoffs, NY was the SB champion, having beat NE
2011 - GB vs NO, NO lost to Seattle in the WC Round, who lost to Chicago in the Divisional Round, who lost to GB in the Conference Championship, who then beat Pittsburgh to be SB Champs
2010 - NO vs Minnesota, NO beat Minnesota in the Conference Championship on their way to a SB win
2009 - Pittsburgh vs Tenn, Tenn lost to Baltimore in the Divisional Round, who then lost to Pittsburgh in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win
2008 - NY Giants vs Washington, Washington lost to Seattle in the WC Round, who then lost to GB in the Divisional Round, who then lost to the Giants in the Conference Championship, on their way to a SB win

So except for 2012, and 2019, every year has some sort of playoffs tie in. 

Could definitely see Buffalo/KC opening the season on Thursday night...or Sunday Night opening weekend. Especially if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Talk to Houston about how they felt about this season before it happened.

The Bills aren`t trading away their  stud WR and team icon plus a friend of the QB like Steers did :)

That was the final move that sent them spiraling in a nose dive.

29 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Jets and Darnold were the hot draw for week 1 because of the draft.   That isn't as appealing as it was. 

NE @ Buffalo week 1. 

The Bills and Jets have opened against each other 14 times in their history. From a Jets POV they have started a season against the Bills more than any other opponent. I know this because despite being a Bills fan I am a Jets season ticket holder. Last year before their week one matchup the Jets sent out a tweet to all season ticket holders saying this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, eball said:

I just looked at it today and I’m psyched.

Home: AFC East, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indy

Road: AFC East, New Orleans, Tampa, KC, Jacksonville, Tennessee

The home schedule looks like 7-1 at worst. The road schedule is tougher for sure but there are several good travel games. 

So In January, the upcoming year’s schedule means nothing.

I remember last year fans were saying “Ugh look at Bills schedule - it’s so tough”

Also games against SF, Denver, and NE on the road looked a lot harder than they did this fall.

Just now, JohnNord said:

So In January, the upcoming year’s schedule means nothing.

I remember last year fans were saying “Ugh look at Bills schedule - it’s so tough”

Also games against SF, Denver, and NE on the road looked a lot harder than they did this fall.

Agree. Have to wait until the draft and FA are over to get an idea of how tough the schedule can. Even then injuries take place in training camp, preseason that could change everything.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, eball said:

I just looked at it today and I’m psyched.

Home: AFC East, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indy

Road: AFC East, New Orleans, Tampa, KC, Jacksonville, Tennessee

The home schedule looks like 7-1 at worst. The road schedule is tougher for sure but there are several good travel games. 

Lol

John and Greg, I’ve said this as well several times.  Look how many people projected a Cam Patriots team as a winner and then what happens.  SF, a SB attendee but was decimated with injuries.  Who knew the Rams would be this good on defense?  Who knew Seattle’s defense would fall off a cliff after attaining Jamal?

This year, who knows a post Brees NO and so many players in their 30’s?  What if Tampa, god I almost threw up a little beats the Chiefs.  Will Brady retire and go out on top?  What is Indy going to do about QB?  After the draft, we’ll know who we gained and lost in both FA and the draft.  What no one can predict is injuries.  I almost felt bad for SF with all of those catastrophic injuries.  They still finished with a top 5 defense.

I would just enjoy the off season and we can probably talk more about how we really might do in May.  It’s just depressing there is only so much we can talk about until May.  Let’s hope and pray we have a good off season with acquisitions and come into next year stronger.

I want to believe we can repeat a 13-3 2021 season and win the East again.  Maybe Beane does so well we actually really make the SB next year.  We’ll have to beat the Chiefs though.  With some additional pieces, we might be able to do it.  Howard and Jeremy made a good point this morning.  They discussed how TE’s seem to be a developing position, so you don’t really see a guy progress often until year 3.  Kelce has been a stud, but he developed slow.  With that they discussed, TE being one of the few positions we could get an ascending TE in FA, and not being as expensive as say an edge rusher.  This way we get a more finished product and draft the CB, Edge Rusher, RB, etc.  If we hit on all four of these four slots, we would be markedly better and Star is back.

People have to be a little cautious, each year it different. The are retirements, injuries and some players not having good season plays. If you remember the St Louis Rams, greatest team on turf. They won a Super Bowl , went to another and got upset. They had their super QB and signed all their core players to good contracts. They were predicting they would win the next 3 to 4 SBs and had no competition. What happened, their super QB gets hurt, the players do not play up to their contracts and they never get back.

3 minutes ago, dogbyte said:

People have to be a little cautious, each year it different. The are retirements, injuries and some players not having good season plays. If you remember the St Louis Rams, greatest team on turf. They won a Super Bowl , went to another and got upset. They had their super QB and signed all their core players to good contracts. They were predicting they would win the next 3 to 4 SBs and had no competition. What happened, their super QB gets hurt, the players do not play up to their contracts and they never get back.

Is this a cautionary tale for the chiefs because if so I’m in

34 minutes ago, eball said:

And it was!  What’s your point?

Not that it wasn’t tough, but some matchups looks a lot harder in January than they did in October - Pittsburgh, Denver, SF, NE etc.  A lot of fans predicted  they would win the division at 10-6 or 9-7.  

That’s my point, making a judgement or prediction now is pointless because will look completely different when the season starts.   So why get excited about what appears be to a good schedule before we know what the teams will look like?

Edited by JohnNord
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Well of course there’s uncertainty with these teams next season.... the 2020 season hasn't even ended, things will be MORE certain within the next 6 months as teams are allowed to address those uncertainties.

On paper it looks like a weaker schedule but we have no idea at this point. The Jets/Miami/NE could trade for Watson which would really change the outlook of the division(especially if Miami trades for him). The Colts could trade for Stafford. Pittsburgh could trade for Darnold. 

When more than half the teams on our schedule don't know who will be playing QB next season I take that as a positive for an early assessment of schedule strength.  Of course things will evolve over the next several months; that doesn't really need to be said.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Not that it wasn’t tough, but some matchups looks a lot harder in January than they did in October - Pittsburgh, Denver, SF, NE etc.  A lot of fans predicted  they would win the division at 10-6 or 9-7.  

That’s my point, making a judgement or prediction now is pointless because will look completely different when the season starts.   So why get excited about what appears be to a good schedule before we know what the teams will look like?

I had those 3 as W, W and W in my book

12-4 overall 

I was a hail mary away from being off by 2 games. 

13-3  almost 14-2