The more I think about it the more I realize ertz needs to be a Bill

Adamb412

Don't forget this regime believes strongly in player development.  While they acknowledge they need more production at TE it doesn't mean that they are looking to cut bait with Knox necessarily.  If they can add somebody through the draft if the chips fall that way I would assume they would but I think most importantly they are having private conversations with Knox right now telling him he needs to take his game to a higher level in Year 3.  I don't see us signing Ertz.  (In my opinion)

Edited by BillsPride12

30 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Agreed Hap, one of my main takeaways from Beane's end of year presser is that he saw us struggle against elite TEs all year and realized we don't have anyone on our roster that can threaten opposing defenses and be a real match up nightmare. Hope we can get one, it would add a whole new dimension to our offense.

If we went the free agency route, I'd prefer signing Jonnu Smith rather than Ertz. He's an athletic freak (in the 2017 combine, Smith 'placed second in the vertical jump and short shuttle, tied for third in the bench press, fourth in the broad jump, and finished sixth in the 40-yard dash in his position group'), is still only 25, and is a budding star in the league IMO. Smith was definitely under-used in Tennessee's offense with their focus on the run game and their other receiving weapons and was asked to block more after Lewan's injury, but still put up career-highs in receptions (41), receiving yards (448) and touchdowns (eight) in 2020. Spotrac puts his market value at $8 million per season. Given that I think we'll make a few cuts, I think we'll have more cap space and I'd offer him a four year $30 million deal. 

We'll see what happens with the cap and who we cut so the draft might be the better option when the time comes, but Smith would be my #1 TE target in free agency and a genuine buy-low signing given that his value was suppressed by the Titans and he would have more opportunities in our passing attack. Interested to hear what others think, Go Bills!

I think Smith would in any normal year get a lot more than $8m AAV. However, maybe with the covid Cap he is gettable at that price. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

I feel like people are giving up on Knox a little too quickly.

I still see all kinds of potential there.  

Yep , if the cap is really as low as $175m next year, bills will need Knox to step up his game on his rookie deal for sure.   Instead, Go get me another top speed WR to replace JB and Kroft on the roster.  

• Agree 1

No way he’s gonna cost a 2nd rounder.  Philly might even cut him.  But I do like the idea of bringing him in.  Philly has been a dumpster fire.  I think Ertz still has a lot left.  I also think a guy whose wife is one of the best soccer players in the world is gonna be motivated to stay in great shape into his mid 30’s.  

• Like (+1) 1

Eh, I think TE will need to wait.  Also, I thought Knox was showing signs of growth in the second half of the season.  He was very raw coming into the league, but has gamebreaking potential if/when he puts it all together. Think of him as the Josh Allen of tight ends.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big leap in his third year.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Eh, I think TE will need to wait.  Also, I thought Knox was showing signs of growth in the second half of the season.  He was very raw coming into the league, but has gamebreaking potential if/when he puts it all together. Think of him as the Josh Allen of tight ends.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big leap in his third year.

Knox rarely catches a pass downfield cleanly.  Kind of a fatal flaw for a Tight End.  I think he found his niche in the 2nd half of season more as a gadget/halfback.  He’s got no problem catching dump-offs and using his athleticism.  Heck, I’d rather line up Knox in the backfield on passing downs than Singletary.  This offense needs a Tight End who’s a downfield passing threat.  

11 hours ago, delirious said:

Knox is one of the most athletic TEs in the NFL. He just learned the position in college, playing in a mickey mouse offense. To Daboll's offense that has been described as complex. 

Knox is a newborn fawn in this system, and he deserves some more time. He has the potential to be one of the best.  He has Kittle and Kelce measurables. 

Yes he needs to work on his hands, but thinking we need some downward trend expensive TE in a year where the cap is expected to decrease, is one spicy take

Agree with everything you stated.  However with Kroft being a FA they will need to find a #2 TE, ideally if they could find one that is strong blocker and puts a little more fear in the defense than Smith going out on patterns, they could sign someone for that role and let Smith go.  Currently two roster spots are taken up for backup TE, one for blocking, one for pass catching if Knox can't play for some reason.  Also agree they won't likely spend a lot of money for that role, but could see them going $5 to $6 mil particularly if they can shed Smith $2.2 mil in process. 

11 hours ago, delirious said:

Knox is one of the most athletic TEs in the NFL. He just learned the position in college, playing in a mickey mouse offense. To Daboll's offense that has been described as complex. 

Knox is a newborn fawn in this system, and he deserves some more time. He has the potential to be one of the best.  He has Kittle and Kelce measurables. 

Yes he needs to work on his hands, but thinking we need some downward trend expensive TE in a year where the cap is expected to decrease, is one spicy take

he also needs to run routes like Beasley 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No way he’s gonna cost a 2nd rounder.  Philly might even cut him.  But I do like the idea of bringing him in.  Philly has been a dumpster fire.  I think Ertz still has a lot left.  I also think a guy whose wife is one of the best soccer players in the world is gonna be motivated to stay in great shape into his mid 30’s.  

Just because they are competitive in that commercial?? 

35 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he also needs to run routes like Beasley 

Just because they are competitive in that commercial?? 

Not sure what commercial you’re talking about, but there’s a big difference for a guy who’s made a ton of money to have a wife who basically lives the same lifestyle as a football player versus having a wife who needs help with the kids at home.  Each situation is different but I’d bet on Erst wanting to play football as long as he can.  

17 hours ago, 947 said:

Ertz looked like hot garbage this year, he has lost more than a step. Not to mention his $12.5M cap hit...

Yeah 36 catches and 1 td is a huge red flag dropoff? Plus that contract is not going to cut it. At this point we might have to draft someone and hope they stick. Done with Kroft, Sweeney, Smith & Gilliam. They bring very little to helping Josh. 

I like the idea of adding a good TE.  Hard to get one ready right out of the draft, so a FA is the way to go.  IMO, please give up the idea of giving up a 2nd rounder, those are way too valuable now for cost control. 

I like Knox but we could use adding a really good TE.  Ertz after he is cut is certainly a possibility, along w J Smith  of TN or H Henry.  The trick for Beane is to get one that doesn't break the bank.

18 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Well Philly has like the third worst cap situation in the league behind only the Saints and Rams so it’s worth looking into 

So that means he is probably getting cut then.

Knox definitely improved later in the season - and I was critical of having him start over Kroft for a decent part of the first half or so. I do believe there's room for a good deal more improvement from him. Thing is, we might have to wait another year for that to occur - i.e. after next season.

I currently view Knox as a decent #2 TE, and we need still a quality #1.

I've always liked what I saw from Sweeney, and hope he can come back healthy to compete. I think he was probably a more 'rounded' TE than Knox prior to his Covid problems, and I thought he had a chance to push guys on the roster this season.

Sweeney doesn't have the potential ceiling of Knox, but I'd say his floor is much higher.

An observation from comments by Beane at his presser, is that any receiver, be it WR or TE, needs to be playing consistently (regularly) for them to get featured more in the offense. Both Knox and Kroft had to miss time, as did John Brown, and as a result, weren't necessarily as 'in synch' with Allen as others were.