The more I think about it the more I realize ertz needs to be a Bill

Adamb412

On 1/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Saw this earlier

Over the hill and a $12 cap hit. 

$8 million for the Bills, $12 million for Philly. The Bills wouldn’t be on the hook for any prorated bonus. $8 million is a lot, but it’s all salary and can easily be restructured. https://overthecap.com/player/zach-ertz/112/

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Ertz could end up returning to form. He had an injury-plagued year, but is one year removed from 88 catches. And he had been a model of consistency and high production for years. 

That said, how is he better than Knox?  If you watch his highlights, he goes out 7 yards and makes a catch. That’s it. You just wonder if the Bills really wanted to make Knox a big part of their offense, they could. They just don’t, either by design or because Josh doesn’t want to take those 6-yard dump downs to the TE. 

He is grrwt at finding open spaces in zones. Great, great route runner. Knox is very talented physically, but he plays the game like a WR and doesn’t do what the Kelces and Ertzes are so good at doing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He is grrwt at finding open spaces in zones. Great, great route runner. Knox is very talented physically, but he plays the game like a WR and doesn’t do what the Kelces and Ertzes are so good at doing.

I haven’t studied all of these guys’ route running. But it seems to me from watching game highlights of Ertz and Kelce, their bread and butter is to go straight out about 7 yards and just sit down in the zone. That seems easy enough for Knox to do, and I have seen him do it. 

Maybe running deeper routes or getting behind the LB’s— yeah, ertz and Kelce may be far superior. But I have this sneaking suspicion that Knox can do that too. He has the size, speed, athleticism of ertz and Kelce. I just wonder if they made him more of a focal point, he would be more of a threat and produce a lot more. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I haven’t studied all of these guys’ route running. But it seems to me from watching game highlights of Ertz and Kelce, their bread and butter is to go straight out about 7 yards and just sit down in the zone. That seems easy enough for Knox to do, and I have seen him do it. 

Maybe running deeper routes or getting behind the LB’s— yeah, ertz and Kelce may be far superior. But I have this sneaking suspicion that Knox can do that too. He has the size, speed, athleticism of ertz and Kelce. I just wonder if they made him more of a focal point, he would be more of a threat and produce a lot more. 

Bills can’t wait around hoping Knox turns into something he hasn’t been.  He hasn’t shown that he can catch balls cleanly.  The drops and fumbles are killers but so is the fact that his hands aren’t sure enough to catch it cleanly and turn it upfield.  He can be a good #2TE/ gadget halfback type, but this offense needs a chain moving TE that defenses need to respect to take another step.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bills can’t wait around hoping Knox turns into something he hasn’t been.  He hasn’t shown that he can catch balls cleanly.  The drops and fumbles are killers but so is the fact that his hands aren’t sure enough to catch it cleanly and turn it upfield.  He can be a good #2TE/ gadget halfback type, but this offense needs a chain moving TE that defenses need to respect to take another step.  

You may be right. But Knox only has been in the NFL for 2 years, and, as I recall, was a bit more of a raw prospect coming out of college. Do you give up on him, or give him another 1-2 years to see what his ceiling is? 

In terms of his size, speed, and athleticism, there is no question that he is elite. Can we significantly improve his hands, route running, blocking, and feel? 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

You may be right. But Knox only has been in the NFL for 2 years, and, as I recall, was a bit more of a raw prospect coming out of college. Do you give up on him, or give him another 1-2 years to see what his ceiling is? 

In terms of his size, speed, and athleticism, there is no question that he is elite. Can we significantly improve his hands, route running, blocking, and feel? 

Definitely not advocating giving up on Knox, but he hasn’t shown enough to not find a veteran upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of getting another TE, but I’m not sure about Ertz. I think he’d want too much. 

Not keeping Knox around would be ludicrous. He’s young, and still on his rookie deal. Him and Sweeney as the 2nd and 3rd option are perfect as they’re cheaper and are only going to get better. 

Being in the position we’re in now having to pay big money for key pieces we’re not going to have as many options free agency wise as people here seem to think. 

We’re playing big boy ball now. We need our top guys to keep doing what they’re doing and hope the young guys step up. 

Its all about drafting well and getting the most out of the talent we’ve got. That’s not to say we can’t get lucky and have Beane work his magic and get us some nice pieces at reasonable cost. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 78thealltimegreat changed the title to Eagles looking to trade or cut Zach Ertz

If he starts running now he will be open for a 15 yard catch come September. 

Seriously the guy has no wheels left. If he becomes a free agent maybe toss a couple bucks at him. But no way would I want to send even a 5th rounder for his 8 million dollar salary 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He absolutely blew this year.  Made Knox look like Kittle.

I'm not saying Ertz is a stud TE anymore, but when you only have 288 yards(Ranked 34th for TEs & behind Ertz)for the year and can't block to save your life, you don't look like Kittle when compared to someone off the street.

One difference between the two is Knox had a QB who completed nearly 70% of his passes and finished 2nd in the MVP race and the other had 2 QBs who were just horrible at throwing the ball this year. 

Wentz completed 57.4% of his passes and had a 72.8 QB Rating, Fields completed 52.0% of his throws with a 77.6 QB Rating. Neither finished above 32nd in either category.

I'm not advocating for Ertz over Knox, but at the same time I think it's time for the team to strongly consider moving on from Knox being the #1 TE. JMO

33 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'm not saying Ertz is a stud TE anymore, but when you only have 288 yards(Ranked 34th for TEs & behind Ertz)for the year and can't block to save your life, you don't look like Kittle when compared to someone off the street.

One difference between the two is Knox had a QB who completed nearly 70% of his passes and finished 2nd in the MVP race and the other had 2 QBs who were just horrible at throwing the ball this year. 

Wentz completed 57.4% of his passes and had a 72.8 QB Rating, Fields completed 52.0% of his throws with a 77.6 QB Rating. Neither finished above 32nd in either category.

I'm not advocating for Ertz over Knox, but at the same time I think it's time for the team to strongly consider moving on from Knox being the #1 TE. JMO

Ertz had 330 yards on 70+ targets. 
Knox had 288 on 40+ targets. 
Is Ertz really better than Knox at this stage of their careers? Even at his best Ertz was seeing a crazy amount of targets his way and was featured non stop in that offense. We don’t feature the tight end that much and probably never will unless Knox or some no name blows up or we acquire a legit elite tight end. Knox will 100% face some competition for his job this upcoming season though and that’s deserved.