The more I think about it the more I realize ertz needs to be a Bill

Adamb412

2 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Team friendly. Ask him flat out if he wants to win another championship

So you rather have knox drop key balls and be slow

Except Knox ran a 4.57 40 yard dash and Ertz runs a 4.76 40 yard dash. So Knox is actually faster than Ertz

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I feel like people are giving up on Knox a little too quickly.

I still see all kinds of potential there.  

agreed. I expect huge things from him. You can see flashes. That he beat out Kroft too is a really positive sign. I think we will see him take it to the next level next year. 

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Except Knox ran a 4.57 40 yard dash and Ertz runs a 4.76 40 yard dash. So Knox is actually faster than Ertz

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kroft is a FA

This entire thread is falling to pieces and I only just opened it up!! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I really feel TE is low on mcBeanes priority list.  Maybe a draft pick, but I don’t see him spending more than 5 mill a year on a TE. 

Beane talked about TE in his presser today.   Knox getting injured, a concussion, and then covid-19, and that he thought he started to come on at the end of the season.  He mentioned Kroft making some key plays for us. 

Edit: Exact quote

Perhaps Beane gave a hint as to how the Bills are prioritizing their needs when he said, “It was never where the opposing defense was like, ‘Man, we’ve got to stop their tight ends from going off.’ ”

I don't think Beane is going to trade a 2nd round draft pick for 30 year old Zach Ertz and his $6.6M salary, but I think TE might be higher on his priority list than you think.

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agreed. I expect huge things from him. You can see flashes. That he beat out Kroft too is a really positive sign. I think we will see him take it to the next level next year.

I would like to share your expectation, but I expected huge things from Knox this season and 🤷‍♂️

I'm hoping we get Tommy Sweeney back from his cardiomyopathy because I thought he looked promising in glimpses last season.

But I think we can't stand pat and wait for the lightbulb to glow any more than we can with RB

• Like (+1) 2

I honestly think I would rather have Knox. Ertz clearly isn't as good as Goedert anymore. I honestly don't know if that means great things for Goedert or if it's that much of a decline for Ertz, but he's nowhere near the Kelce-Kittle-Waller tier at this point in his career.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane talked about TE in his presser today.   Knox getting injured, a concussion, and then covid-19, and that he thought he started to come on at the end of the season.  He mentioned Kroft making some key plays for us.  Then he said something to the effect of "I don't think we ever got to the point where other teams ever feared our tight ends".  I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

I don't think Beane is going to trade a 2nd round draft pick for 30 year old Zach Ertz and his $6.6M salary, but I think TE might be higher on his priority list than you think.

I would like to share your expectation, but I expected huge things from Knox this season and 🤷‍♂️

I'm hoping we get Tommy Sweeney back from his cardiomyopathy because I thought he looked promising in glimpses last season.

I hope your right.  I’m all about adding more weapons for our offense, I just think that they like a knox and figured he’d be our starter next year 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope your right.  I’m all about adding more weapons for our offense, I just think that they like a knox and figured he’d be our starter next year 

I hope they would keep to the mantra "competition at every position".  Not sure a guy who may or may not come back from cardiomyopathy and may or may not be the same player if he does plus Nate Becker constitute competition at TE.

But with restricted cap and the very real possibility that we may not be able to re-sign some guys who've played very well for us, I don't see Beane giving away a 2nd round pick for a fading star >30 that he has to pay a lot

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope they would keep to the mantra "competition at every position".  Not sure a guy who may or may not come back from cardiomyopathy and may or may not be the same player if he does plus Nate Becker constitute competition at TE.

Yeah, I had the feeling they liked Sweeney, but you’re right, they need to create more competition at the position.  I just dunno how much he’ll invest in it

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane talked about TE in his presser today.   Knox getting injured, a concussion, and then covid-19, and that he thought he started to come on at the end of the season.  He mentioned Kroft making some key plays for us.  Then he said something to the effect of "I don't think we ever got to the point where other teams ever feared our tight ends".  I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

I agree with your feeling that TE is higher on Bean's priority list than many may think. The identity of this team now revolves around Allen and the passing game. Giving him a TE that other teams actually have to game plan for would only make the offense better and maybe take it to the next level. The problem is that this is going to be a difficult offseason for Beane to add such a player.

The free agent pool is pretty thin outside of Henry Hunter (I would be surprised if the Chargers don't find a way to keep him now that they have Hebert) and the draft pool is even thinner. I like what I have seen of Sweeney and I am not as down on Knox as some; however, I really don't see the type of TE we would like on our current roster. Maybe there is a hidden gem sitting on some team's practice squad. I have more faith in the Bills' pro player personnel staff than I do their college scouting staff when it comes to WR and TE positions.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Can we get Kittle instead ?

Skittles?!  Utz?!  What the hell is this, a run through the 7-11 snack aisle?

Besides, we just need to give Pufnstuf a good contract and he will stay.  He can't do a little 'cause he can't do enough! 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

He's almost as explosive as kelce, younger, and a match up nightmare. We should give Philly a 2nd round pick for ertz and cut brown and kroft. Keep knox though

He can't block as well as Kelce and I don't think Kelce is a particularly great blocker. He is also out of contract after 2021. So you are sending a 2nd round pick for a one year rental? 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree he definitely sounded like they want to address the position. That doesn't particularly excite me because while I think it is probably our weakest "starting spot" I think we have positions that are much more impactful that need upgrading first. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed Hap, one of my main takeaways from Beane's end of year presser is that he saw us struggle against elite TEs all year and realized we don't have anyone on our roster that can threaten opposing defenses and be a real match up nightmare. Hope we can get one, it would add a whole new dimension to our offense.

If we went the free agency route, I'd prefer signing Jonnu Smith rather than Ertz. He's an athletic freak (in the 2017 combine, Smith 'placed second in the vertical jump and short shuttle, tied for third in the bench press, fourth in the broad jump, and finished sixth in the 40-yard dash in his position group'), is still only 25, and is a budding star in the league IMO. Smith was definitely under-used in Tennessee's offense with their focus on the run game and their other receiving weapons and was asked to block more after Lewan's injury, but still put up career-highs in receptions (41), receiving yards (448) and touchdowns (eight) in 2020. Spotrac puts his market value at $8 million per season. Given that I think we'll make a few cuts, I think we'll have more cap space and I'd offer him a four year $30 million deal. 

We'll see what happens with the cap and who we cut so the draft might be the better option when the time comes, but Smith would be my #1 TE target in free agency and a genuine buy-low signing given that his value was suppressed by the Titans and he would have more opportunities in our passing attack. Interested to hear what others think, Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

i dunno about ertz himself, but we need a top flight guy.  Diggs showed what trash we had before, and how much he improved everyone.  we need to have at least 2 TEs on the roster who can do damage, so we gotta get someone.

The biggest problem is that either Daboll doesn't call passing plays for the TE, or Allen refuses to pass to them. Not being at home games this year doesn't allow me to see entire plays, but what I've seen on tv is hard to tell if TE's are open or not. Oh, how I miss not going to the games.