I have complete confidence that Beane will find a impact player with that 30th pick

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Anyone advocating drafting a RB in RD1 is advocating throwing away a RD1 pick. Draft any other position. 

Fixing how we run the ball is far more important. 

Agreed.  My preference would be to get more talented on the OL, and also fix our run play designs.  Wouldn't be against hiring someone who could help Daboll in this area.  This would also give our 2 recent 3rd rounders time to continue developing and see what we actually have there.

Motor and Moss are.more than capable, IMO. We also need to ditch this 3rd rb is a special teamer only concept.  Find someone who can compliment these guys, ie: speed type, that can also play teams (kick returmer/punt returner or gunner).  We might be one of the few teams who only activate 3 Rbs per week, and yet only use 2 on offense.  This just gets back to a philosophy discussion.  We don't need to be a 50/50 balance offense, but find more creative ways to get our RBs involved even if it is quick swing passes or screen game.  Yeah Motor dropped a swing pass against KC, get over it, he wasn't the 1st and won't be the last Bill to do that.  Him and Moss both have good hands...but our playcalling and designs can also continue to get better.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Anyone advocating drafting a RB in RD1 is advocating throwing away a RD1 pick. Draft any other position. 

Fixing how we run the ball is far more important. 

Not so sure of this argument...

Would it be Ok if they traded down from 30 to 33 and picked a guy there?

If there is a guy they like thats there then pick him..  Its pick 30 not top 10...

Edited by Aussie Joe

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not so sure of this argument...

Would it be Ok if they traded down from 30 to 33 and picked a guy there?

If there is a guy they like thats there then pick him..  Its pick 30 not top 10...

I’m highly against the use of a pick in the top 2 rounds on a RB, and I’m mot super high on a RD3 RB. 

I am pretty much anti-RB in the first two days. 

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agreed.  My preference would be to get more talented on the OL, and also fix our run play designs.  Wouldn't be against hiring someone who could help Daboll in this area.  This would also give our 2 recent 3rd rounders time to continue developing and see what we actually have there.

Motor and Moss are.more than capable, IMO. We also need to ditch this 3rd rb is a special teamer only concept.  Find someone who can compliment these guys, ie: speed type, that can also play teams (kick returmer/punt returner or gunner).  We might be one of the few teams who only activate 3 Rbs per week, and yet only use 2 on offense.  This just gets back to a philosophy discussion.  We don't need to be a 50/50 balance offense, but find more creative ways to get our RBs involved even if it is quick swing passes or screen game.  Yeah Motor dropped a swing pass against KC, get over it, he wasn't the 1st and won't be the last Bill to do that.  Him and Moss both have good hands...but our playcalling and designs can also continue to get better.  

This is the best approach IMO. Even if Daboll doesn’t get help, this off-season for him needs to be spent examining high functioning run offenses and stealing components to applying to our offense. He’s more than capable of designing great schemes, I just don’t think he spent the proper amount of time. In my opinion that’s some stubbornness, but this regime is also super big on analytics and there’s no metric that will tell you to run instead of throw. We don’t need balance but we need the option. 

I understand this regime loves their ST guys, but if they’re a ST guy they need to be able to be confident in using them for a few touches a game. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:00 PM, NewEra said:

Tough to say that that Beane didn’t draft Tre.  He wasn’t the GM but all signs point towards him drafting Zay and dawkins. 

I’m not claiming to know who drafted him.....just that i don’t know for sure.  Beane may have had a lot of influence on the pick, it just can’t be proven because it wouldve been illegal 

This is so funny.. Made me laugh so hard I ran to the bathroom... you serious dude?

On 1/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, Charles Romes said:

Taking a page from the Diggs trade playbook I actually think the sweet spot In value is trading that pick for a proven player who is in the top 10 in his position.  Let’s be honest a pick at 30 is essentially a 2nd round pick. At the same time it can still be sold to a trade partner’s fan base as a first round pick. Why not eliminate all the doubt and get a proved top ten at his position player. Plenty of teams will be unloading assets this off-season. 

Because a team does not want to get into the habit of not accruing young, talented and cost controlled players. Hitting on first round pick is extremely important for continued and sustained success. If a team hits on a 1st round pick they technically get 4 bargain contract years along with a very reasonable 5th year option. Every time a team gives up 1st round picks for proven vets they almost certainly come with big contracts. The way the system works, very few veteran players on their second contract or requiring a second contract are considered true values. Diggs might be the odd situation where he had signed a fairly reasonable contract before the trade but even now there is a lot of talk about how underpaid he is and that his contract needs to be substantially increased resulting in less value. A team can only have so many top heavy players and using and hitting on draft picks is essential to maintaining success because drafted players are on cheap contracts compared to veteran players. 

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Because a team does not want to get into the habit of not accruing young, talented and cost controlled players. Hitting on first round pick is extremely important for continued and sustained success. If a team hits on a 1st round pick they technically get 4 bargain contract years along with a very reasonable 5th year option. Every time a team gives up 1st round picks for proven vets they almost certainly come with big contracts. The way the system works, very few veteran players on their second contract or requiring a second contract are considered true values. Diggs might be the odd situation where he had signed a fairly reasonable contract before the trade but even now there is a lot of talk about how underpaid he is and that his contract needs to be substantially increased resulting in less value. A team can only have so many top heavy players and using and hitting on draft picks is essential to maintaining success because drafted players are on cheap contracts compared to veteran players. 

Beane can exercise cost control by continuing to be the master of the second shelf free agent market. Any pro player target of Beane, including Diggs, tends to be a third round or lower draft pick. He knows that the salary history of any highly drafted pro has been artificially inflated by their draft spot (often accompanied by name recognition pro bowl votes) and he’s not going to pay for it. He sees value where a pro has worked himself into a starter role after being drafted low. I would rather see Beane build through free agency and trades. He’s shown to be better in those areas than in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Beane can exercise cost control by continuing to be the master of the second shelf free agent market. Any pro player target of Beane, including Diggs, tends to be a third round or lower draft pick. He knows that the salary history of any highly drafted pro has been artificially inflated by their draft spot (often accompanied by name recognition pro bowl votes) and he’s not going to pay for it. He sees value where a pro has worked himself into a starter role after being drafted low. I would rather see Beane build through free agency and trades. He’s shown to be better in those areas than in the draft. 

It does not have to be an exclusively one or the other strategy so I don't mind if Beane pulls the trigger on a value trade or adds some value free agents. All areas should be utilized to improve the team. However, I think the draft needs to remain a high priority and that means keeping as many picks as possible. Most of the core talent of this team has come through the draft and with the Bills being in a situation where they will be paying their franchise qb and have been resigning key draft picks, the draft is where we need the cheap value players to continue to fill holes and be future core players. We cannot keep all our talent as is, I think Milano might be the type of talent that could walk out the door because we just cannot afford to meet his price. But he is an example of how the draft needs to work for us in that we got 4 very good years out of a 5th round pick at a fraction of the cost of most veterans. But I have no issue with adding undervalued veterans free agents as well to the roster as we need as much talent as we can get. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, njbuff said:

My early guess is that McBeane will do whatever it takes to get Etienne.

He is a faster version of Thurman.

And I think they will have to jump ahead of the Jets to get him.

Or they could shock us all and make a blockbuster trade for Elliott. The Bills have a history of making a big trade for a star RB.

Not this FO, it’s not their style to spend on RBs. Except for a handful of positions, they are all about economy in spending for players. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1