I have complete confidence that Beane will find a impact player with that 30th pick

Just out of curiosity, I looked back at the 30th overall pick over the last 20 years, just to see what players came at that slot. I don't know if there is anything to make out of it, it's a pretty mixed bag. There are definitely some solid players and some busts, but only a few really top-notch players. 

The breakdown by position group (of the last twenty-one 30th overall picks) is: 6 DBs selected, 4 WR, 3 RB, 3 LB, 2 TE, 1 DE, 1DT, 1 OG.

Busts (not counting Igbinoghone yet, even though his rookie season wasn't great) = 9 players or approx. 43%

Red = Stud; Orange = starter/at least one Pro Bowl or 1st Team All-Pro; Purple = starter/solid contributor, not Pro Bowl level 

2020 DB Noah Igbinoghone to Miami

2019 DB DeAndre Baker to NY Giants

2018 DB Mike Hughes to Minnesota

2017 LB T.J. Watt to Pittsburgh

2016 DT Vernon Butler to Carolina

2015 DB DaMarious Randall to Green Bay

2014 DB Jimmie Ward to San Fran

2013 LB Alec Ogletree to Rams

2012 WR A.J. Jenkins to San Fran

2011 DE Muhammad Wilkerson to NY Jets

2010 RB Jahvid Best to Detroit

2009 WR Kenny Britt to Tennessee

2008 TE Dustin Keller to NY Jets

2007 WR Craig Davis to San Diego

2006 RB Joseph Addai to Indy

2005 TE Heath Miller to Pitt

2004 RB Kevin Jones to Detroit

2003 DB Sammy Davis to San Diego

2002 OG Kendall Simmons to Pitt

2001 WR Reggie Wayne to Indy

2000 LB Keith Bullock to Tennessee

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Huh that's a worse list than I would have guessed, thanks for putting it together. Been a DB wasteland the last few years. Surprised at the total lack of impactful offensive players outside of Wayne, so really nothing in 20 years. Addai was alright but he only really had a couple good seasons.

10 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Read about this kid WR Kadarius Toney from Florida. Being compared to none other then that guy who burned our butts last Sunday. If he's still there at 30, I dont know how we dont as he's already turning heads at the senior bowl, definitely rising fast. Also, check the vid of him absolutely schooling a CB in practice the other day. Pretty awesome! I would be very happy with this pick.

www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-2021-nfl-draft-prospects-in-the-reeses-senior-bowl-najee-harris-kadarius-toney-highlight-the-list/amp/

"When reviewing scouting reports, the breakdown does not always match the grade. In the case of Toney, the grade may not be high enough. He is fast, agile and elusive. NFL teams can use him on jet sweeps, wide receiver screens and in a variety of other ways, similar to Tyreek Hill in Kansas City."

He’d be a welcome playmaker.  Based on how explosive he is, don’t think he’ll be available when we pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Taking a page from the Diggs trade playbook I actually think the sweet spot In value is trading that pick for a proven player who is in the top 10 in his position.  Let’s be honest a pick at 30 is essentially a 2nd round pick. At the same time it can still be sold to a trade partner’s fan base as a first round pick. Why not eliminate all the doubt and get a proved top ten at his position player. Plenty of teams will be unloading assets this off-season. 

Thats kind of what I'm thinking.   Find a team in rebuilding mode that wants young players.  A 1st round pick means you can lock for 5 years, like Minny got with Jefferson.

Last two years our first pick was Ed and then Epenesa last year in the 2nd round.  It may be too early to judge them but watching guys like Bud Dupree and Clark for KC run around changing games and elevating their defenses its hard to not consider just getting a few proven players while we still have 2 seasons before Josh's new contract will start hurting us.

Don't care about runners or receivers, or really anyone but the trench guys on either side of the ball.  Get the proven dudes and lets get cracking.

My only exception would be LB, there are few college dudes that might be worth grabbing in 2nd or 3rd rd.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’d be a welcome playmaker.  Based on how explosive he is, don’t think he’ll be available when we pick.  

I seem to be hearing a lot of this player will not be available when we pick somebody is going to be available at 30 that we didn’t think was going to be there

4 hours ago, Process said:

There aren't many positions where we couldnt use an upgrade. Outside of QB and maybe S, you could make a case for any position at 30. Should be in a good spot to take BPA. 

In general I don't like taking RBs or OL in Rd 1 though. 

I do like the idea of trading down. 

I really just don’t agree with us whenever you have a team that is one game away of playing in the Super Bowl it has a lot of talent by default I do think there will be an obvious player at 30 they can help us

6 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Taking a page from the Diggs trade playbook I actually think the sweet spot In value is trading that pick for a proven player who is in the top 10 in his position.  Let’s be honest a pick at 30 is essentially a 2nd round pick. At the same time it can still be sold to a trade partner’s fan base as a first round pick. Why not eliminate all the doubt and get a proved top ten at his position player. Plenty of teams will be unloading assets this off-season. 

The problem is that unlike in 2020 when the Bills had plenty of cap space the types of proven players you are trading for aren't usually on rookie or more affordable deals. They are typically players on their 5th year option or last year of their rookie deals or very early into their second contract. Players that are either asking for huge extensions or on big deals. 

So while I wouldn't be opposed to a trade using the 30th overall pick I am not sure what players out there fit the bill of a dynamic pass rusher or pass catcher on a cheap contract.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I absolutely believe that Beane was involved with that pick.

John I was slammed months ago for stating a similar point.  I knew then and now that is tampering and illegal, but you can’t prove either way unless Beane or McD copped to it.  We go into the draft in 2017, fire Whaley the next day and poof there was Beane on May 9th.  We’ll never know, but I can’t believe two friends weren’t having a private conversation or two regarding Tre.

It doesn’t matter, my view is Beane has had solid drafts so why would I think this one will be different. No one has perfect drafts.  No team, and there’s no way to say our late round picks will make it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

^ Probably will be long gone.  “Fixing” the running game may have more to do with a stud OG than spending pick 30 on a RB.  

At pick 30 he will likely find a solid starter that is ready to play soon than an impact player.  At least based on my definition of an impact player.  You never know.  

We have a stud OG coming back off injury in Cody Ford. If you recall, he makes his hay in the run game. It’s pass pro that is his Achilles heel. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Absolutely need picks. The Bills offensive line was worst in football in 2018. They traded up for a position of need to grab a Guard/RT in Cody Ford.

They needed a replacement for Gore and took Moss in the 3rd. 

Really not positions you burn high draft picks on. 

Wait...are you really saying that if a team drafts a player at a position they need help with, it's a need pick?

Well we needed a QB....Josh Allen was a need pick.

We needed a MLB....Tremaine Edmunds was a need pick.

We needed a CB....Tre White was a need pick.  

Bengals needed a QB....Burrow a need pick.

Vikings needed a WR....Jefferson a need pick.

You see how this works?  You can make a case that every pick is a need pick then.  

What are you talking about?  RB and interior lineman are taking ALL THE TIME.  

8 hours ago, folz said:

Just out of curiosity, I looked back at the 30th overall pick over the last 20 years, just to see what players came at that slot. I don't know if there is anything to make out of it, it's a pretty mixed bag. There are definitely some solid players and some busts, but only a few really top-notch players. 

The breakdown by position group (of the last twenty-one 30th overall picks) is: 6 DBs selected, 4 WR, 3 RB, 3 LB, 2 TE, 1 DE, 1DT, 1 OG.

Busts (not counting Igbinoghone yet, even though his rookie season wasn't great) = 9 players or approx. 43%

Red = Stud; Orange = starter/at least one Pro Bowl or 1st Team All-Pro; Purple = starter/solid contributor, not Pro Bowl level 

2020 DB Noah Igbinoghone to Miami

2019 DB DeAndre Baker to NY Giants

2018 DB Mike Hughes to Minnesota

2017 LB T.J. Watt to Pittsburgh

2016 DT Vernon Butler to Carolina

2015 DB DaMarious Randall to Green Bay

2014 DB Jimmie Ward to San Fran

2013 LB Alec Ogletree to Rams

2012 WR A.J. Jenkins to San Fran

2011 DE Muhammad Wilkerson to NY Jets

2010 RB Jahvid Best to Detroit

2009 WR Kenny Britt to Tennessee

2008 TE Dustin Keller to NY Jets

2007 WR Craig Davis to San Diego

2006 RB Joseph Addai to Indy

2005 TE Heath Miller to Pitt

2004 RB Kevin Jones to Detroit

2003 DB Sammy Davis to San Diego

2002 OG Kendall Simmons to Pitt

2001 WR Reggie Wayne to Indy

2000 LB Keith Bullock to Tennessee

Good research. I’d argue that for a couple of seasons at least, Muhammed Wilkerson was a stud. I think he simply lost all passion for the game and checked out after getting paid, however. In 2015, though, he was one of the best DEs in the league and probably should have been first-team all pro.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Beane will find a playmaker with speed.  My guess is WR.

If we're drafting a speed WR at #30 and none of the earlier guys have an unlikely fall, I want Kadarius Toney. Immediate impact as an elite speed WR and returner as well as a long term replacement for John Brown when his contract runs out (if he isn't cut this offseason). Unlike McKenzie and a lot of the elite speed guys, Toney has decent size (6'0" and 195) and I think he can be a complete NFL receiver in addition to the return ability and the jet sweeps/gadget plays. 

While the defense needs some reinforcements, I'm in favor of investing in our biggest strength (passing offense) early in the draft and adding elite speed on both sides of the ball to compete with KC. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Think what you want.  You do not know this

Correct, I don't know this. It's not just me, it's everybody. Except a few nuts on these boards who love crazy conspiracy theories.

Doing this would be a crime. It would be unethical. And it would be a thing that neither of these guys would do. Much less would McDermott then hire a guy who he knew would be willing to betray him when his back was turned. Hiring Beane after seeing that he was willing to lie and betray his employer would be acting as stupid as the guy who marries the woman who he met by getting her to cheat on her last husband. There are plenty of slowcoaches around who do that kind of thing. But they're addle-pated and you can find a huge majority of them wandering around with their head in their hands a year or two later, saying, "How could I have known she'd cheat on me?"

That's what you hear about Beane and McDermott, isn't it? That they enjoy surrounding themselves with lying, backstabbing, untrustworthy thieves, right? Right? Right? I mean, you hear that all the time, don't you? Except of course you don't, because that's pretty much the opposite of what they're about, guys who can't be trusted to do their jobs without turning traitor and giving away all their secrets if it suits them.

But again, kid yourself if you have to. But pretty much everyone else is going to look at who these guys are and what they stand for and know to expect behavior from them that's congruent with who they are. But plenty of others don't let common sense hold them back. It's fair enough, though it will contribute to being wrong much more often than not.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Of course you inevitably draft for positions of need.

My point is you don't reach for need at positions like offensive guard or dime a dozen RBs with high draft picks.

QB, CB, and WR are completely different. Those are premier positions in today's NFL that move the needle for your teams. Guards, and RBs like Singletary don't. 

That's pretty odd...you wanted Dobbins last year with our 2nd round pick.  I thought they were a dime a dozen?

So anytime you draft a guard within the first 3 rounds...it's a reach?

• Haha (+1) 2

We'd probably need to move up for Kadarius Toney.   I'm seeing mocks with him around the 20 range now.  

I think he's THE perfect weapon for this offense, but I'd be shocked if he lasts to 30, and I don't see us having the expendable assets to move up, potentially, ten spots to grab him. 

He also slayed at the Senior Bowl the other day in front of NFL scouts.

Best weapon for us at 30 will likely be RB's Najee Harris/Travis Etienne or a stud G/C.

That being said.... if Kadarius Toney is there, and we don't take him, I will be sick to my stomach. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I said dime a dozen backs.

I actually wanted CEH but figured he wouldn't be there in the 2nd. Dobbins was my next choice. Moss is just too slow footed and could be easily replaced by an UDFA or cheap FA.... hell I thought Yeldon was the best overall back on the team. 

Do you really think Beane drafted either one of these backs thinking they were a dime a dozen?

So you're declaring Moss a wasted pick after one year?

Essentially, he shouldn't have been drafted at all according to you.

Edited by Royale with Cheese