Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

Reed83HOF

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not that I recall. That was an outside the box hire. Worked out brilliantly. 

On the Reid guys.... the NFL is now dominated by guys off the Reid tree, Belichick tree or Shanahan tree.

Reid

McDermott

Harbaugh

Culley

Reich (via Pederson)

Nagy

Rivera

Belichick

Flores

Vrabel (via O'Brien)

Judge

Shanahan

Taylor (via McVay)

Saleh (via Kyle Shanahan)

Staley (via McVay)

LaFleur

Kyle Shanahan

McVay

And Shanahan also has two Head Coaches who were offensive position coaches under coordinators from the Shanahan tree in Smith (LaFleur) and Stefanski (Kubiak). 

Cowherd posed a question yesterday that is worth considering... If Reid ends up winning 4-5 Super Bowls is HE the GOAT HC, and not Belichick?

He'll have the wins, the coaching tree (which will only grow), and will have done it on 2 teams with multiple QBs in both conferences. 

Look at Reid's coaching tree. Harbuagh and Pederson have won Super Bowls as head coaches, and Reich has an OC on Philly. Reid is 62 and has said he wants to coach for another decade. 

It all has to happen first, of course. 

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes.  He's the exception to the rule though.  I can't think of another current successful head coach that wasn't a coordinator at some point.

I hear you there. I'm just not sure how so many can be so positive that Culley is going to fail. Though, losing Watson won't help his cause.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Cowherd posed a question yesterday that is worth considering... If Reid ends up winning 4-5 Super Bowls is HE the GOAT HC, and not Belichick?

He'll have the wins, the coaching tree (which will only grow), and will have done it on 2 teams with multiple QBs in both conferences. 

Look at Reid's coaching tree. Harbuagh and Pederson have won Super Bowls as head coaches, and Reich has an OC on Philly. Reid is 62 and has said he wants to coach for another decade. 

He will be in the same boat as Belichick.   Reid never won a super bowl without Mahomes, and Belichick never won one without Brady.

To Cowherd's point the nod probably goes to Reid because Belichick has a winning percentage below Rex Ryan without Brady.  

Belichick was made by Brady and the media.    Goes to show you how little difference there is between coaches in the NFL.   The major difference is the guy behind center.

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I hear you there. I'm just not sure how so many can be so positive that Culley is going to fail. Though, losing Watson won't help his cause.

The expectations are low so he's got that going for him.  He's in a tough spot though (cap space and lack of draft picks) even if Watson comes back thanks to BOB.

• Agree 1

Yeesh. It's obvious that Culley has a sterling reputation because I don't think you can say he was hired based on his results. Baltimore has one of the worst passing games in the league, due in part to Greg Roman creating very elementary route concepts and designs that aren't difficult for defenses to handle.  

I dunno. All I know is that one of my first criticisms of McDermott was his hiring of this guy. I just don't see it. Surely Watson will want out either way but last I heard he wanted to go play for the Jets which is like trading in your POS '87 Buick LeSabre with 234k miles on it for a friggin' '78 Montgomery Ward riding lawnmower with three wheels and no seat. 

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Belichick beat Reid in Super Bowl XXXIX. 

45 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeesh. It's obvious that Culley has a sterling reputation because I don't think you can say he was hired based on his results. Baltimore has one of the worst passing games in the league, due in part to Greg Roman creating very elementary route concepts and designs that aren't difficult for defenses to handle.  

I dunno. All I know is that one of my first criticisms of McDermott was his hiring of this guy. I just don't see it. Surely Watson will want out either way but last I heard he wanted to go play for the Jets which is like trading in your POS '87 Buick LeSabre with 234k miles on it for a friggin' '78 Montgomery Ward riding lawnmower with three wheels and no seat. 

Oddly specific

He was interviewed using social distancing & had to use a microphone.   When they asked him why he thinks he's qualified to be their next coach, Culley answered the question with a question.  He said "Who is the best QB of the 2018 draft and who was his 1st QB coach?"  Houston's management answered "Josh Allen & you"  Culley then looked at them & dropped the mic.  Houston management immediately said "You're hired" 

Seriously, I agree with the other poster who stated it was similar to when the Bills hired Chan Gailey.  Nobody with any decent credentials wanted the disaster that is awaiting Culley in Houston.  

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I personally think that Saleh is a very good coach who will do well with the players there, and Mike LaFleur could be a good choice as OC.

At least when I read this, it makes sense as something it would help the Bills to emulate a bit more:

"It all starts with the run game for us, which sets up the pass," LaFleur said of San Francisco's offensive philosophy in a 49ers.com article published last August. "But the big thing we like to say with our offense is they need to marry up with each other, they need to look the same. The way our offensive line comes off the ball in the run game is really no different than how they come off in the passing game, particularly on first and second downs. That's everything for us and our philosophy in terms of marrying it up and making a defense not really know if it's run or pass."

I get the feeling he got hired because he might have been the only one excited for the job...no QB, no draft picks, holes all over the roster...they are set up for a 3 year stint in the NFL basement amd he will be gone before they turn it around...

Might be for the best tho...mid 60s coach, he can retire finally having been a head coach in the NFL.