Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

Reed83HOF

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if Frazier turned it down already.

I was thinking the same thing.  If it were you, would you really want to go there?  Originally I thought yes simply for Watson as he can cover up a lot, but it seems the ownership has propagated a dysfunctional environment.  That’s only a guess so I really have nothing to back that assertion.  Frazier is a sharp guy who was a head coach, and maybe something didn’t feel right.  Maybe not, and Culley just won out.

Frazier should get another shot next year, and the Pegulas are backing him along with McBeane.  Since there 6-7 openings almost every year, he’ll have his shot again especially if our defense improves.

For the Reid comment, you can also add Culley’s boss Harbaugh.  He went from ST coach to Head Coach which isn’t that common.  He’s turned out to be a very successful coach.

6 hours ago, y2zipper said:

The hot coordinator with a great scheme pipeline seems dead and buried with this cycle. 

The hires are one college, two assistant coaches with no coordinator experience, three defensive coordinators and only two offensive coordinators when offensive guys were like 4 of the 6.

I think teams have, finally, somewhat realised that leadership is more important than scheme for a Head Coach hire. This hiring season has certainly seemed to be one where teams have prioritised those leadership qualities. That isn't to say that all these hires will work out (I very much doubt they will) and I still think that the problem is when 6-8 jobs are changing hands every year it empties the talent pool so quickly that some years guys get hired that don't on the face of it make much sense. However, a lot of the situations this year are dysfunctional. Houston, the Jets, Detroit, the Jaguars, Philadelphia they are bad situations with a lot of dysfunction in the organisation and no amount of clever scheme will turn that around.... it needs leadership. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, cage said:

18 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

How does being instrumental in the development of Nate Peterman and passing game coordinator for the #1 rushing offense land you a job as a Head Coach w/ an NFL team?  #WatsonOUT

Edited by cage

1 hour ago, cage said:

How does being instrumental in the development of Nate Peterman and passing game coordinator for the #1 rushing offense land you a job as a Head Coach w/ an NFL team?  #WatsonOUT

It doesn’t, but 17 years with Andy Reid and then you branch out with added responsibilities on another couple of playoff teams - maybe that helps out.

Plus being a minority coach might help fulfill what Watson is looking for, but fills it with a guy that is not just standing next to Reid  on the sidelines at the moment.

I think it is another in a bad line of hires, but it is definitely outside the normal box and checks off several of the Watson complaints.

News alert: “another unqualified head coach was hired before Eric Bienamy. In fact, it’s probably the single worst hire (on paper) in years.”

NFL Twitter: *Breathes deep in preparation for accusations of systemic racism.

News alert: “minority candidate *pause to check notes* David Culley- I think I’m pronouncing that correctly- yes, David Culley. Will become the Texans next head coach.”

NFL Twitter: ...... *crickets*

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has David Culley ever had a Head Coach interview with anyone in the NFL before? 

Not that it dooms him to failure if he hasn't but it is certainly outside the box thinking!!

It was his only interview for HC.

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

Watson is DEFINITELY going to want out now. 

He was gone no matter who they got for him as HC.  It was an excuse to get out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Andy Reid

• BYU (1982) - Graduate assistant
  • San Francisco State (1983–1985) - Offensive line coach
  • Northern Arizona (1986) - Offensive line coach
  • UTEP (1987–1988) - Offensive line coach
  • Missouri (1989–1991) - Offensive line coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1992–1996) - Assistant offensive line & tight ends coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1997–1998) - Quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2012) - Head coach
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–present)- Head coach

David Culley

• Austin Peay (1978) - (Running backs coach)
  • Vanderbilt (1979–1981) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Middle Tennessee State (1982) - (Quarterbacks coach & running backs coach)
  • Chattanooga (1983) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Southwestern La. (1985–1988) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Texas El-Paso (1989–1990) - (Offensive coordinator & running backs coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Texas A&M (1991–1993) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1994–1995) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Pittsburgh Steelers (1996–1998) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2010) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (2011–2012) - (Senior offensive assistant & wide receivers coach)
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2016) - (Assistant head coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Baltimore Ravens (2019–present) - (Passing game coordinator & wide receivers coach & assistant head coach)

So basically, an Andy Reid guy. It’s knda unbelievable how many Reid guys are head coaches now.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has David Culley ever had a Head Coach interview with anyone in the NFL before? 

Not that it dooms him to failure if he hasn't but it is certainly outside the box thinking!!

Had John Harbaugh before he was hired?

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Just because Culley was a fraud of a QB coach in Buffalo, and has since been responsible for a wildly unproductive WR position group (the position he played back when, innit?), his current role as Assistant HC suggests that he probably possesses some of those broader leadership and management qualities so essential to that style (CEO/non-coordinator type) of NFL head coach you're pointing to above.

Why was Culley a fraud as our QB coach?  I thought Josh showed huge improvement by the end of his rookie season.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

News alert: “another unqualified head coach was hired before Eric Bienamy. In fact, it’s probably the single worst hire (on paper) in years.”

NFL Twitter: *Breathes deep in preparation for accusations of systemic racism.

News alert: “minority candidate *pause to check notes* David Culley- I think I’m pronouncing that correctly- yes, David Culley. Will become the Texans next head coach.”

NFL Twitter: ...... *crickets*

Supposedly Bienamy hasn't interviewed well.  He also has a pretty long list of legal issues in his past.  That'll get brought up in an interview.  

6 minutes ago, Stads said:

Isn't Ravens' Passing Game an oxymoron?

I mean... the QB won MVP in 2019 so i would think that he coordinated a good passing game in 2019.  

52 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

So basically, an Andy Reid guy. It’s knda unbelievable how many Reid guys are head coaches now.

Had John Harbaugh before he was hired?

Not that I recall. That was an outside the box hire. Worked out brilliantly. 

On the Reid guys.... the NFL is now dominated by guys off the Reid tree, Belichick tree or Shanahan tree.

Reid

McDermott

Harbaugh

Culley

Reich (via Pederson)

Nagy

Rivera

Belichick

Flores

Vrabel (via O'Brien)

Judge

Shanahan

Taylor (via McVay)

Saleh (via Kyle Shanahan)

Staley (via McVay)

LaFleur

Kyle Shanahan

McVay

And Shanahan also has two Head Coaches who were offensive position coaches under coordinators from the Shanahan tree in Smith (LaFleur) and Stefanski (Kubiak). 

How bad of a candidate must Eric Bienamy be? How bad were his interviews As reported? How bad is history of multiple arrests as reported? Shocked, I thought Eric Bienamy was a lock for the Houston job.... Something  must be Really wrong for all these teams to have interviewed him the last couple of years and nothing. Almost half the league has interviewed him and they have all passed.