Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

True. The productivity of his recent units, both the last 3 years of WRs in Baltimore and the 2017 QB in Buffalo, is not encouraging. However, as stated by a minority of posters, hiring a head coach doesn't have to be about previous productivity from a specific unit or position group. The hot coordinator or guy-with-a-sexy-scheme route is one way. But it can also be about leadership ability and management Softer, interpersonal skills. 

I think with Culley we can easily forgive "his" WR production in Baltimore the last three years with Jackson, and "his" QB production during Tyrod's last season (there WAS that one game in Seattle, though). 

The hot coordinator with a great scheme pipeline seems dead and buried with this cycle. 

The hires are one college, two assistant coaches with no coordinator experience, three defensive coordinators and only two offensive coordinators when offensive guys were like 4 of the 6.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

David Culley is an American football coach who is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. He is also designated as passing game coordinator. 

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

He used Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) (Quarterbacks coach) as stepping stone up.

I remember he was with the Bills there were comments here like :  “Why can’t he get Tyrod to throw over the middle?” and “Who is this guy and how can we expect him to groom Josh?”

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Next question: who is Dave Culley?

He was our QB coach Mcdermott's first two seasons that fans ripped on because he had only been a WR coach prior. We eventually let him go(he went on to Baltimore to be their passing game coordinator) in favor of Ken Dorsey.

Just now, eball said:

It would be hilarious if Culley came out in his press conference and said the Texans are going to bite a lot of kneecaps. 

Plagiarism is NO JOKE guys. Come on.

Gotta at least replace "bite" and "kneecaps" with a more personally relevant verb/tenacious act of self-defense and noun/vulnerable body part. Like an old school coaching philosophy cliché Mad Libs.

"The Texans are going to clutch a lot of groins."

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He was our QB coach Mcdermott's first two seasons that fans ripped on because he had only been a WR coach prior. We eventually let him go(he went on to Baltimore to be their passing game coordinator) in favor of Ken Dorsey.

Jesus, was he the QB coach for the Peterman/Anderson/Allen season, too? Them's was a mighty awful time for throwing the bowl in Buffalo.  

I have to give props to Culley. He could have been like EB, and just rot away in Andy Reid’s shadow.  Instead, he made some moves to get to this point— eg, Bills QB coach and then Ravens, and now this. 

EB has to realize at this point being a former RB who doesn’t call plays under Andy Reid isn’t inspiring any confidence as a future head coach. People want playcallers, offensive geniuses, former QB’s/QB whisperers. I suspect that Culley showed a breadth of experience enough to sell himself as a key part of the ravens offensive success and Lamar’s development.

EB needs to branch out and become an OC where he can call the plays and show we can develop a QB and offense. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a hire you make when no one else wants the job. The Texans are heading for drought era Bills levels of ineptitude. Their franchise QB is about to be gone and they have no draft picks to rebuild the team. Crazy.

At least we never found our franchise QB during those times. If watson leaves, it'd be like having Jim Kelly, then pissing him off to where he leaves, and the Bills never sniff a superbowl. 

Edited by delirious

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I can understand you like Frazier, but too many times especially this year were the defense looked like they were looking at opposing offensives like they were the grim Reaper playing scared.

You can understand anything you like, but it may or may not have any relation to anything I've written, apparently.

I "get it" that our defenses did not look good a number of times this season.  Early in the season, Titans, Colts, both KC games.

I neither like nor dislike Frazier.  Any chagrin I felt about him leaving would have been eased by 2 3rd round picks

But most people seem pretty sure that McDermott is deeply involved in the defense and certainly involved in the scheme.  For all we know, McDermott may have been mandating things that didn't work and Frazier figured out how to change things up and make improvements.

If McDermott doesn't see a need to make changes, they won't get made is my take on the defense.  So crap about locking Frazier out of the building is unlikely to help our D. 

30 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have to give props to Culley. He could have been like EB, and just rot away in Andy Reid’s shadow.  Instead, he made some moves to get to this point— eg, Bills QB coach and then Ravens, and now this. 

EB has to realize at this point being a former RB who doesn’t call plays under Andy Reid isn’t inspiring any confidence as a future head coach. People want playcallers, offensive geniuses, former QB’s/QB whisperers. I suspect that Culley showed a breadth of experience enough to sell himself as a key part of the ravens offensive success and Lamar’s development.

EB needs to branch out and become an OC where he can call the plays and show we can develop a QB and offense. 

Maybe Andy Reid needs to fire him like he did McDermott 😁

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a hire you make when no one else wants the job. The Texans are heading for drought era Bills levels of ineptitude. Their franchise QB is about to be gone and they have no draft picks to rebuild the team. Crazy.

It's possible they don't trade Watson and just say "OK, hold out and give us back our $$ or play for us, your call"

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Jesus, was he the QB coach for the Peterman/Anderson/Allen season, too? Them's was a mighty awful time for throwing the bowl in Buffalo.  

Yes.  Yes, he was.

One wonders how much he had to do with

1) the decision to bench Tyrod Taylor for Peterman for the Chargers game.  This was said at the time to result from Dennison desk-thumping.

2) the decision to go into the 2018 season with Peterman as the starting QB

The whole Texans hiring process boggles my mind.  Offensive-minded candidates; defensive-minded candidates; Josh McCown, who has no coaching experience at any level.

They choose to go offense, but a Passing game coordinator/WR coach of the 2020 team who landed last in passing? I get that he had a RB playing QB, but still.

This is a bizarre hire.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

David Culley is an American football coach who is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. He is also designated as passing game coordinator. 

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

He used Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) (Quarterbacks coach) as stepping stone up.

Ravens have WRs?