Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

Reed83HOF

13 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

How many successful coordinators go on to fail as head coaches? A lot. This is because being a successful head coach is about more than coordinating one phase of the game. The head coach has to be a football smart CEO type, with strong leadership skills.

I know next to nothing about Culley. So I don't know if he's a good coaching candidate. But hell, didn't Andy Reid go from QB coach straight to head coach?

Yes.  He's the exception to the rule though.  I can't think of another current successful head coach that wasn't a coordinator at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW:

Culley was one of the several assistant coaches that Brian Daboll inherited when he joined the Bills as OC in 2018 (along with "Teflon Juan" Castillo and his assistant OL coach, Rob Boras at TE, Kelly Skipper at RB)

One of the interesting things about hiring Brian Daboll was how little initial say he had over his assistants.  It wasn't until 2019 that he got to choose his own OL coach, QB coach, and finally in 2020 his own WR coach. 

Skipper (RB) and Boras (TE) are still here.

Anyway, when Daboll said late this season "I delegate a lot more than I used to" I was like "well drrrrr"

Yeah that was definitely interesting.

I actually don’t think any of those 2019 hires were his either, though. Dorsey was a McDermott hire, so was Bobby Johnson, and Chad Hall was originally hired by McDermott and promoted when Terry Robiskie was fired (for being an a-hole, reportedly). 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/1/25/18197101/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-explains-staff-shakeup-at-special-teams-offensive-line-coach/comment/501999739

Daboll brought in an assistant o line coach (Ryan Wendell, former patriot’s center) and assistant QB coach Shea Tierney (worked with Daboll at Alabama) 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-add-former-patriots-center-as-offensive-assistant/article_a229e8a2-25f2-5c85-8f90-8f9810809510.html

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-buffalo-bills-hire-another-alabama-staff-member/

It’s one reason I’m hopeful we may be able to keep our offensive staff together if/when Daboll gets a head coaching job, although he may want to poach 

Edited by BillsFan4

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah that was definitely interesting.

I actually don’t think any of those 2019 hires were his either, though. Dorsey was a McDermott hire, so was Bobby Johnson, and Chad Hall was originally hired by McDermott and promoted when Terry Robiskie was fired (for being an a-hole, reportedly). 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/1/25/18197101/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-explains-staff-shakeup-at-special-teams-offensive-line-coach/comment/501999739

Daboll brought in an assistant o line coach (Ryan Wendell, former patriot’s center) and assistant QB coach Shea Tierney (worked with Daboll at Alabama) 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-add-former-patriots-center-as-offensive-assistant/article_a229e8a2-25f2-5c85-8f90-8f9810809510.html

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-buffalo-bills-hire-another-alabama-staff-member/

It’s one reason I’m hopeful we may be able to keep our offensive staff together if/when Daboll gets a head coaching job, although he may want to poach 

Interesting!  I had thought that Dorsey played in Cleveland when Daboll was OC there, but I looked it up and "nope"

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've explained before that I'm prejudiced against Rob Boras because he was the OC on the StL-then LA Rams in 2015-2016.  Under him, Foles/Keenum and Keenum/Goff looked totally incompetent and incapable of playing QB at an NFL level.  Within 2 years, two of them were QB teams in the Superbowl and the third had played in the NFC Championship.  If anything ever showed the impact of coaching on QB, that checked my box.

Now maybe Rob Boras is a fantastic TE coach.  But I can't help wondering if it's coincidence that the two worst performing units on the offense, are the ones with assistants left over from Dennison's year.

Thank you. One of my biggest fears is that Boras could take over after Daboll leaves (unlikely, but you never know). As you said, he is extremely incompetent as an OC, those Rams teams had some of the worst offenses I have ever seen in my life. He is just completely out of his league. Who knows if he’s a good tight ends coach, but if we are seeing him run an offense, we are in more trouble than when we had Dennison. 

• Agree 1

• Reed83HOF changed the title to Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

I generally like giving guys a shot over retreads. But given Houston’s issues this hire is CRAZY. Maybe this dude works out but it seems like a dart throw blindfolded. Gonna throw a first time coach with no play calling experience into that mess of a locker room. Yikes 

This reeks of a desperate Chan Gailey like HC hire. For Culley’s sake, I hope it works out for him. Supposedly he struck up a pretty decent relationship with Watson a while ago. He’ll need to rekindle that flame and get him onboard to be successful out of the gate. I hope he does and keeps him out of the AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

From what I remember about when he came to the Bills, his goal was to be a OC and then HC and that was why he left a longtime WR coach job to be a QB coach to get additional experience with another position. But when he left that WR job in KC, they had just gone through like an entire season without throwing a TD to a WR. Now he’s. Passing game coordinator for the worst passing team in the league. He has been an AHC twice so maybe that helps. My biggest concern from the Texans side would be he received little to no interest from any other teams for their HC positions. Kind of a red flag 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I remember about when he came to the Bills, his goal was to be a OC and then HC and that was why he left a longtime WR coach job to be a QB coach to get additional experience with another position. But when he left that WR job in KC, they had just gone through like an entire season without throwing a TD to a WR. Now he’s. Passing game coordinator for the worst passing team in the league. He has been an AHC twice so maybe that helps. My biggest concern from the Texans side would be he received little to no interest from any other teams for their HC positions. Kind of a red flag 

kind of reminds of a Doug Marrone. Assistant head coach to strong head coaches, but with no playcalling duties.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did not realize Culley had spent such a long time coaching with Andy Reid. 

So is this "we want someone from Andy Reid's coaching tree without waiting 2 weeks to interview Bieniemy?"

I think Bieniemy can interview this week - have they asked him to come back?

C'mon Man.  It's widely believed that McDermott and Frazier are jointly responsible for the defensive philosophy.  McDermott isn't going to hire anyone who does not share his POV on defense, and McDermott isn't getting fired.  Just what do you think this accomplishes?

I can understand you like Frazier, but too many times especially this year were the defense looked like they were looking at opposing offensives like they were the grim Reaper playing scared.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He coordinated the worst passing attack in football yes?

You do you, Houston.

True. The productivity of his recent units, both the last 3 years of WRs in Baltimore and the 2017 QB in Buffalo, is not encouraging. However, as stated by a minority of posters, hiring a head coach doesn't have to be about previous productivity from a specific unit or position group. The hot coordinator or guy-with-a-sexy-scheme route is one way. But it can also be about leadership ability and management Softer, interpersonal skills. 

I think with Culley we can easily forgive "his" WR production in Baltimore the last three years with Jackson, and "his" QB production during Tyrod's last season (there WAS that one game in Seattle, though).