Update: Dave Culley expected to be Texans HC - John McClain

Reed83HOF

David Culley is an American football coach who is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. He is also designated as passing game coordinator. 

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

He used Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) (Quarterbacks coach) as stepping stone up.

• Vomit 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

David Culley is an American football coach who is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. He is also designated as passing game coordinator. 

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

Wow.

I feel like the Texans interviewed him just to mess some more with Watson’s mind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

Did great with Hot Rod.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

LOL WR coach for Ravens.

FWIW:

Culley was one of the several assistant coaches that Brian Daboll inherited when he joined the Bills as OC in 2018 (along with "Teflon Juan" Castillo and his assistant OL coach, Rob Boras at TE, Kelly Skipper at RB)

One of the interesting things about hiring Brian Daboll was how little initial say he had over his assistants.  It wasn't until 2019 that he got to choose his own OL coach, QB coach, and finally in 2020 his own WR coach. 

Skipper (RB) and Boras (TE) are still here.

Anyway, when Daboll said late this season "I delegate a lot more than I used to" I was like "well drrrrr"

• Like (+1) 2

Somebody who has Jedi Mind tricks use it now on the Texans front office even if it does not exist someone please try.  But if Frazier, does not get the job just change the locks at the stadium so Leslie can't get in.  But if someone lets him in claim  access control violation due to covid and the league can't blame bias because Frazier got fired. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW:

Culley was one of the several assistant coaches that Brian Daboll inherited when he joined the Bills as OC in 2018 (along with "Teflon Juan" Castillo and his assistant OL coach, Rob Boras at TE, Kelly Skipper at RB)

One of the interesting things about hiring Brian Daboll was how little initial say he had over his assistants.  It wasn't until 2019 that he got to choose his own OL coach, QB coach, and finally in 2020 his own WR coach. 

Skipper (RB) and Boras (TE) are still here.

Anyway, when Daboll said late this season "I delegate a lot more than I used to" I was like "well drrrrr"

Boras and Skipper also have to be shown the door.  Call Mark Bavaro, to train Knox someone has to do it because it seems Boras is just stealing money and Kelly Skipper this clown should be audited by the IRS for him not reporting income. 

How many successful coordinators go on to fail as head coaches? A lot. This is because being a successful head coach is about more than coordinating one phase of the game. The head coach has to be a football smart CEO type, with strong leadership skills.

I know next to nothing about Culley. So I don't know if he's a good coaching candidate. But hell, didn't Andy Reid go from QB coach straight to head coach?

3 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Boras and Skipper also have to be shown the door.  Call Mark Bavaro, to train Knox someone has to do it because it seems Boras is just stealing money and Kelly Skipper this clown should be audited by the IRS for him not reporting income. 

I've explained before that I'm prejudiced against Rob Boras because he was the OC on the StL-then LA Rams in 2015-2016.  Under him, Foles/Keenum and Keenum/Goff looked totally incompetent and incapable of playing QB at an NFL level.  Within 2 years, two of them were QB teams in the Superbowl and the third had played in the NFC Championship.  If anything ever showed the impact of coaching on QB, that checked my box.

Now maybe Rob Boras is a fantastic TE coach.  But I can't help wondering if it's coincidence that the two worst performing units on the offense, are the ones with assistants left over from Dennison's year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

How many successful coordinators go on to fail as head coaches? A lot. This is because being a successful head coach is about more than coordinating one phase of the game. The head coach has to be a football smart CEO type, with strong leadership skills.

I know next to nothing about Culley. So I don't know if he's a good coaching candidate. But hell, didn't Andy Reid go from QB coach straight to head coach?

Just because Culley was a fraud of a QB coach in Buffalo, and has since been responsible for a wildly unproductive WR position group (the position he played back when, innit?), his current role as Assistant HC suggests that he probably possesses some of those broader leadership and management qualities so essential to that style (CEO/non-coordinator type) of NFL head coach you're pointing to above.

5 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Andy Reid

• BYU (1982) - Graduate assistant
  • San Francisco State (1983–1985) - Offensive line coach
  • Northern Arizona (1986) - Offensive line coach
  • UTEP (1987–1988) - Offensive line coach
  • Missouri (1989–1991) - Offensive line coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1992–1996) - Assistant offensive line & tight ends coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1997–1998) - Quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2012) - Head coach
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–present)- Head coach

David Culley

• Austin Peay (1978) - (Running backs coach)
  • Vanderbilt (1979–1981) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Middle Tennessee State (1982) - (Quarterbacks coach & running backs coach)
  • Chattanooga (1983) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Southwestern La. (1985–1988) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Texas El-Paso (1989–1990) - (Offensive coordinator & running backs coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Texas A&M (1991–1993) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1994–1995) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Pittsburgh Steelers (1996–1998) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2010) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (2011–2012) - (Senior offensive assistant & wide receivers coach)
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2016) - (Assistant head coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Baltimore Ravens (2019–present) - (Passing game coordinator & wide receivers coach & assistant head coach)

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Andy Reid

• BYU (1982) - Graduate assistant
  • San Francisco State (1983–1985) - Offensive line coach
  • Northern Arizona (1986) - Offensive line coach
  • UTEP (1987–1988) - Offensive line coach
  • Missouri (1989–1991) - Offensive line coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1992–1996) - Assistant offensive line & tight ends coach
  • Green Bay Packers (1997–1998) - Quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2012) - Head coach
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–present)- Head coach

David Culley

• Austin Peay (1978) - (Running backs coach)
  • Vanderbilt (1979–1981) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Middle Tennessee State (1982) - (Quarterbacks coach & running backs coach)
  • Chattanooga (1983) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Southwestern La. (1985–1988) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Texas El-Paso (1989–1990) - (Offensive coordinator & running backs coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Texas A&M (1991–1993) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1994–1995) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Pittsburgh Steelers (1996–1998) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2010) - (Wide receivers coach)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (2011–2012) - (Senior offensive assistant & wide receivers coach)
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2016) - (Assistant head coach & wide receivers coach)
  • Buffalo Bills (2017–2018) - (Quarterbacks coach)
  • Baltimore Ravens (2019–present) - (Passing game coordinator & wide receivers coach & assistant head coach)

I did not realize Culley had spent such a long time coaching with Andy Reid. 

So is this "we want someone from Andy Reid's coaching tree without waiting 2 weeks to interview Bieniemy?"

I think Bieniemy can interview this week - have they asked him to come back?

35 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Somebody who has Jedi Mind tricks use it now on the Texans front office even if it does not exist someone please try.  But if Frazier, does not get the job just change the locks at the stadium so Leslie can't get in.  But if someone lets him in claim  access control violation due to covid and the league can't blame bias because Frazier got fired. 

C'mon Man.  It's widely believed that McDermott and Frazier are jointly responsible for the defensive philosophy.  McDermott isn't going to hire anyone who does not share his POV on defense, and McDermott isn't getting fired.  Just what do you think this accomplishes?

• Like (+1) 1