Salary Cap Question

IBTG81

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My timeline might be off but my I still think there was a possibility that if Ford never went down at all, Morse would have been back at Center.

Now you're confusing me.  I thought you were arguing that if Ford never went down, Morse would NOT have been back at Center?

But the point is, Ford was down almost the whole time Feliciano played center, and frankly not playing particularly well when he wasn't down (hampered by injury perhaps).

McDermott specifically mentioned it was a football decision.  Morse basically acknowledged it by saying it sent him a message and woke him up.

I don't think I heard exactly that, but I think Morse was having some problems before the concussion and probably did "get the flick" that he needed to step it up.

My take is, Feliciano had a chance to nail down the job and couldn't wield the hammer to clinch the nails.

If Dion Dawkins goes down for a few weeks and his back up comes in and does well....will Dawkins sit to keep the "hot hand" when he's healthy.

If his backup clearly outplays him, yes.  If it's a push, or his backup has one hot game then over a couple of games against different defenses shows deficiencies, probably not.

You didn't address the point that Feliciano is projected to get as much salary per year as Morse or more, PLUS Morse substantial dead cap.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now you're confusing me.  I thought you were arguing that if Ford never went down, Morse would NOT have been back at Center?

But the point is, Ford was down almost the whole time Feliciano played center, and frankly not playing particularly well when he wasn't down (hampered by injury perhaps).

I don't think I heard exactly that, but I think Morse was having some problems before the concussion and probably did "get the flick" that he needed to step it up.

My take is, Feliciano had a chance to nail down the job and couldn't wield the hammer to clinch the nails.

If his backup clearly outplays him, yes.  If it's a push, or his backup has one hot game then over a couple of games against different defenses shows deficiencies, probably not.

You didn't address the point that Feliciano is projected to get as much salary per year as Morse or more, PLUS Morse substantial dead cap.

To clarify, I don't know if Morse gets his job back if Ford never goes down.  Feliciano at center, Ford and Boettger at guard.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/trying-make-sense-buffalo-bills-mitch-morse-noit-playing-sean-mcdermott/

Morse was benched, he was healthy and didn't play.  He was benched.

If they feel Feliciano can do a better job at center, then yes, I think they would cut Morse.  There is dead cap but they would still save money.

So you're telling me that if Dawkins, Diggs, Beasley and even Allen....if the back up comes in and plays well then you keep them in?  

Allen is out for whatever reason, Barkley is coming off of 2 very good games....you're playing Barkley when Allen comes back healthy?

If the cap does go to $185 million, then you have 12 teams who currently would be over it. 2 of those teams would be over by less than a million, which is obviously very manageable.

At $175 million, you would have 15 teams who would be over the cap, or, in effect, half the league.

I think the extra $10 million, makes enough of a difference to where the NFL would prefer to see teams sit within the cap, for it to be highly likely that it gets there.

The numbers were got from Spotrac, and interestingly, they are basing their cap at $185 million now, whereas the other week it was at the floor of $175 million.

I've read somewhere, that most of the TV deals are due for renewal in the next couple of years, starting with ESPN after the 2021 season, then the other networks after the 2022 season.

I don't think that the NFL (hence Owners) will necessarily press too hard to get those deals done any sooner. Mainly because it could impact how much they will eventually get - and that might be numbered in the area of $100s of millions. .

.Having said that, much depends on the TV companies themselves, if they want to lock up their deals sooner rather than later, which might not be that far fetched, as having NFL games is very much part of their marketing for subscribers.

With the numbers being talked about (there's a Forbes article from the end of last year), the NFL looks set to raise their TV revenues by a huge amount by 2023, to the extent that they might actually double. Both Fox and CBS are paying a billion each for Sunday afternoon football per annum. It's reckoned the deal that gets done, will bump that to two billion per.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2020/11/11/expect-tv-rights-fees-for-sports-to-soar/?sh=352eed7f48c2

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

To clarify, I don't know if Morse gets his job back if Ford never goes down.  Feliciano at center, Ford and Boettger at guard.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/trying-make-sense-buffalo-bills-mitch-morse-noit-playing-sean-mcdermott/

Morse was benched, he was healthy and didn't play.  He was benched.

If they feel Feliciano can do a better job at center, then yes, I think they would cut Morse.  There is dead cap but they would still save money.

So you're telling me that if Dawkins, Diggs, Beasley and even Allen....if the back up comes in and plays well then you keep them in?  

Allen is out for whatever reason, Barkley is coming off of 2 very good games....you're playing Barkley when Allen comes back healthy?

This is a ridiculous argument, but let’s play. 

If Josh Allen missed a few games like Morse and then was not cleared until the middle of the week and Barkley was 2-0 and the team put together a game plan he could work with - then yes maybe Josh waits.

We saw it with Milano this year, Moss this year, Brown, Singletary last year, etc.  The Bills very much rely on the training staff to decide and even if guys are “cleared” - the Bills have given guys extra weeks throughout the last few years.

Center is one of the most important positions and although we know Morse was cleared - we do not know anything beyond that and maybe the Bills thought they could use the OLine like they did against NE and then regroup over the bye.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is a ridiculous argument, but let’s play. 

If Josh Allen missed a few games like Morse and then was not cleared until the middle of the week and Barkley was 2-0 and the team put together a game plan he could work with - then yes maybe Josh waits.

We saw it with Milano this year, Moss this year, Brown, Singletary last year, etc.  The Bills very much rely on the training staff to decide and even if guys are “cleared” - the Bills have given guys extra weeks throughout the last few years.

Center is one of the most important positions and although we know Morse was cleared - we do not know anything beyond that and maybe the Bills thought they could use the OLine like they did against NE and then regroup over the bye.

I just can't buy this.  If McDermott had said they wanted to give him another week, he would have said that.  He simply said it was a coach's decision to not play him.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was active right?  If he really wanted to wait another week, I don't think he would have dressed.  Mitch Morse himself said the coach's definitely sent him a message with the sitting.

Everyone of those players were coming off of injuries and slowly getting back in.  Milano's chest wasn't 100% yet, neither was Singletary's hamstring, Brown's calf....

Morse was ready to go 100%.  He cleared the protocol.

I'm not anti-Morse.  I just think he could be one of the causalities.  I'm not pulling for it, I believe his not playing against AZ was performance based.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

The Bills can free up $25,250,000 easily and  without any real ramifications to the team but releasing 4 players and it would only be a  $2,600,000 cap hit,

Player            Cap Number    Dead Money    Cap Savings
------            ----------    ----------    -----------
John Brown        $9,750,000    $1,600,000    $8,150,000
Vernon Butler        $7,850,000    $1,000,000    $6,850,000
Quint Jefferson        $8,000,000    $0000000    $8,000,000
Lee Smith        $2,250,000    $0000000    $2,250,000

John Brown- replacement Elijah Moore/draft. Stud, speed, hands, route running top notch. Fills McKenzie role as well.

Vernon Butler- Star comes back. Draft DT Dayvion Nixon I like. Fills Jefferson loss as well.

Morse- Can Feliciano move to center? Ford to RG. Keep Ike. And Williams with money saved letting Morse and Jefferson go.

Draft OL as well.

FA- Edge/DE

WRs- Diggs, Beasley, Gabe Davis, Elijah Moore.

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just can't buy this.  If McDermott had said they wanted to give him another week, he would have said that.  He simply said it was a coach's decision to not play him.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was active right?  If he really wanted to wait another week, I don't think he would have dressed.  Mitch Morse himself said the coach's definitely sent him a message with the sitting.

Everyone of those players were coming off of injuries and slowly getting back in.  Milano's chest wasn't 100% yet, neither was Singletary's hamstring, Brown's calf....

Morse was ready to go 100%.  He cleared the protocol.

I'm not anti-Morse.  I just think he could be one of the causalities.  I'm not pulling for it, I believe his not playing against AZ was performance based.

I agree there are some differences, but McD did say it was a coaching decision and he wanted to “ride” the hot hand.

So I took it to be - especially with the Arizona injuries to the D-line - that the team was putting together a more run centric offense and felt similar to the NE game - they wanted to see what this team could do.

It became apparent that the ends and LBs were quicker and holding up and therefore that line was not a final stop.

They finished the game and immediately the OL was returned to Morse at Center and Mongo at Guard.

I think they realized Mongo is good, but at Center the rest of the line inside was weak and the best line going forward was Morse at Center, Mongo and Ike at Guard.  That stabilized things, but still left issues.

I think they want improvement on the O-Line - I am just not sure they can move on from Morse as the savings is minimum and it would cost more for Mongo and then we still have openings that need to be filled.

If this was next year where you get bigger savings from Morse - then maybe they switch, but I think we are going to be stuck with an OL very similar for 2021 to our 2020 line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

The Bills can free up $25,250,000 easily and  without any real ramifications to the team but releasing 4 players and it would only be a  $2,600,000 cap hit,

We'll be saying goodbye to more than these 4.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, Buddo said:

I've read somewhere, that most of the TV deals are due for renewal in the next couple of years, starting with ESPN after the 2021 season, then the other networks after the 2022 season.

I don't think that the NFL (hence Owners) will necessarily press too hard to get those deals done any sooner. Mainly because it could impact how much they will eventually get - and that might be numbered in the area of $100s of millions. .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2020/11/11/expect-tv-rights-fees-for-sports-to-soar/?sh=352eed7f48c2

The odd thing is that we kept hearing that they wanted to get the CBA done so they could complete TV deals.  Maybe they are worried that because of Covid, those deals would not be as lucrative...but TV execs almost always seem to be optimistic and raise how much they are willing to pay by quite a bit.  Seems it would be a way to make up for lost stadium revenue.