Salary Cap Question

IBTG81

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

$185 million would still be a decrease of $13 million from 2020. It will still be a tough offseason for many teams, the Bills included.

I think our concerns about losing players need to better recognize that all teams are facing the 2021 cap challenge. We may not see as much departure as we fear.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

10M extra helps when you are 6M in the hole...Have to save 5M for the draft and 1.5M for the practice squad as well.

I am in cut mode on the DL - we spent the most of any team last season on DL FAs and did not get the payback

Star should return as well, should help the run D and improve Edmunds tackle rate - he and Milano had a lot of missed tackles,

so I cut Butler and Jefferson and have Addison take a pay cut as well as I cut Brown  at WR and Lee Smith.  Zimmer played decent as a backup and we also have Phillips so we got some vet depth already.

That gives us approx 25M of cap space; enough to sign Feliciano - Ford will play RT so I let Williams play the market and see if numbers work or not. 

I'd rather cut Butler and Addison, keep Jefferson as he can play different positions.  Agree on Brown.  Think the higher priority though might be signing a good established edge rusher with the savings

I'd also keep Ford at guard, draft another inside O lineman for other guard spot, ideally one that also has some experience at playing center.  Would either sign Williams or someone else for RT

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

I think our concerns about losing players need to better recognize that all teams are facing the 2021 cap challenge. We may not see as much departure as we fear.

Oh I agree add to the fact we are now considered a playoff franchise having made it 3 of the last 4 years and we now have one of the young superstars of the league at QB and plugging in vets that we lose shouldn’t be the issue it used to be 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd rather cut Butler and Addison, keep Jefferson as he can play different positions.  Agree on Brown.  Think the higher priority though might be signing a good established edge rusher with the savings

I'd also keep Ford at guard, draft another inside O lineman for other guard spot, ideally one that also has some experience at playing center.  Would either sign Williams or someone else for RT

Between Addison, Butler and Jefferson in terms of potential production going forward..........I'd rather keep Butler..........but not at that cap hit.

Pretty sure they were hoping to replicate the Jordan Phillips experience with Butler as another huge 3T but of course Butler ended up playing a ton of 1T.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have suspected this for a while.

Albert Breer writes about it in his column. He says it's conceivable it gets to $195 million depending on tv contract negotiations before the start of the NFL year.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Albert Breer writes about it in his column. He says it's conceivable it gets to $195 million depending on tv contract negotiations before the start of the NFL year.

Whoops - I misread the piece. Breer says the league wants to get as close as possible to $198.2 million (the current cap) via new broadcast deals, but the deals have to come into effect before the beginning of the league year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

giphy.gif

Maybe we can have both Feliciano and Williams now.  I still think Morse is a goner and Feliciano plays center.  Ford and rookie/FA at the guard spots.  

I would still like to know, if the goal is to improve run blocking while maintaining pass blocking, what your basis is for believing that a sound strategy for OL?

FWIW, Spotrac estimates Feliciano's market value as 4 yr, $33.4M, $8.37M/yr.  They estimate Williams as 3 yr, $26.5M, $8.86M/yr

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

For the Bills it makes a big difference IMO. It means we could potentially take on a reasonable contract for a vet edge rusher. 

3 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

10M extra helps when you are 6M in the hole...Have to save 5M for the draft and 1.5M for the practice squad as well.

I am in cut mode on the DL - we spent the most of any team last season on DL FAs and did not get the payback

Star should return as well, should help the run D and improve Edmunds tackle rate - he and Milano had a lot of missed tackles,

so I cut Butler and Jefferson and have Addison take a pay cut as well as I cut Brown  at WR and Lee Smith.  Zimmer played decent as a backup and we also have Phillips so we got some vet depth already.

That gives us approx 25M of cap space; enough to sign Feliciano - Ford will play RT so I let Williams play the market and see if numbers work or not. 

You do "get it" that if you cut Butler and Jefferson, you have to sign someone to play at least 3TDT?  and that's assuming Star comes back?  That would take $$, then you "groundhog day" the beginning of the season where it was "takes time to gel"

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How about we wait and see what it actually is, and then comment as appropriate at that time?

🤔

That's Crazy Talk

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would still like to know, if the goal is to improve run blocking while maintaining pass blocking, what your basis is for believing that a sound strategy for OL?

FWIW, Spotrac estimates Feliciano's market value as 4 yr, $33.4M, $8.37M/yr.  They estimate Williams as 3 yr, $26.5M, $8.86M/yr

Because Morse makes a ton and when he was healthy, he still sat.  Ford went down the very next week and Feliciano went back to guard.

I don't know if Morse would have gotten his job back if Ford never got hurt.

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because Morse makes a ton and when he was healthy, he still sat.  Ford went down the very next week and Feliciano went back to guard.

Well you make a good point if they cut Morse and resign Feliciano I can see them maybe moving Feliciano to center and let Ike take the other guard spot or draft a maller guard and hopefully improves the running game.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Your timeline is off.  Cody Ford didn't play against NE, nor the previous game (Jets).  He played a few snaps against Sea - that was the week he went down - and the last week he played.

Morse was out with concussion against Seattle (the week Ford went hurt) and then sat vs AZ.

I don't see how you construct an argument that Ford getting hurt was the reason Morse got his job back. 

Feliciano did a very good job at center during a very run-heavy game plan vs. NE.  He got the call next week because Morse was still out for a very pass-heavy game plan (where Allen was sacked 7 times) then he got another chance with a "healthy" Morse for AZ (the controversy) and a more balanced game plan.

Did you watch those games with an eye to sorting out the OL play?

My take is that a bunch of things probably went into the decision to sit Morse:

1) He was cleared partway into the week before AZ and they may have felt he would benefit from extra time to work his way up to game speed; Morse alluded to having "technical problems" in the Jets game, which would support the notion that he needed more time to work on something

2) Continuity at OL until the bye - ride the "hot hand"

3) It may have been an audition for Feliciano at Center.  If so, he came in second

Morse current salary + bonuses is $7.625M.  We save only $4.8M of that due to accelerated amortized bonus.

Spotrac estimates Feliciano at $8.37M per year to re-sign.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Your timeline is off.  Cody Ford didn't play against NE, nor the previous game (Jets).  He played a few snaps against Sea - that was the week he went down - and the last week he played.

Morse was out with concussion against Seattle (the week Ford went hurt) and then sat vs AZ.

I don't see how you construct an argument that Ford getting hurt was the reason Morse got his job back. 

Feliciano did a very good job at center during a very run-heavy game plan vs. NE.  He got the call next week because Morse was still out for a very pass-heavy game plan (where Allen was sacked 7 times) then he got another chance with a "healthy" Morse for AZ (the controversy) and a more balanced game plan.

Did you watch those games with an eye to sorting out the OL play?

My take is that a bunch of things probably went into the decision to sit Morse:

1) He was cleared partway into the week before AZ and they may have felt he would benefit from extra time to work his way up to game speed; Morse alluded to having "technical problems" in the Jets game, which would support the notion that he needed more time to work on something

2) Continuity at OL until the bye - ride the "hot hand"

3) It may have been an audition for Feliciano at Center.  If so, he came in second

Morse current salary + bonuses is $7.625M.  We save only $4.8M of that due to accelerated amortized bonus.

Spotrac estimates Feliciano at $8.37M per year to re-sign.

My timeline might be off but my I still think there was a possibility that if Ford never went down at all, Morse would have been back at Center.

McDermott specifically mentioned it was a football decision.  Morse basically acknowledged it by saying it sent him a message and woke him up.

If Dion Dawkins goes down for a few weeks and his back up comes in and does well....will Dawkins sit to keep the "hot hand" when he's healthy.