GameStop (GME) Insane Ride

Mark80

6 hours ago, Doc said:

A nurse at work has a son who went to an expensive college in Florida for video game design.  He wasted his time and left them with $100K in debt.  He had GME and was counting his money and I told her "tell him to sell while it's in the $300s because it's probably not going much higher."  He didn't. :rolleyes:

Of course not because he took advice from strangers on a message board.  I may joke with my  "thanks for the advice......." schtick but this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Under $100/share now. Wonder how many of those people saying to hold because it was going to go over $1000/share are now wishing they sold when it hit $400/share. 

A lot of the people who were saying hold at all costs had no intention of actually taking their own advice. Legitimate financial advice never comes with a caveat that you shouldn't take profits.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a bad week at all:

On Friday:

The S&P 500 rose 15.09 points, or 0.4%, to 3,886.83.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 92.38 points, or 0.3%, to 31,148.24.

The Nasdaq rose 78.55 points, or 0.6%, to 13,856.30.

The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies rose 30.91 points, or 1.4%, to 2,233.33.

For the week:

The S&P 500 is up 172.59 points, or 4.6%.

The Dow is up 1,165.62 points, or 3.9%.

The Nasdaq is up 785.60 points, or 6%.

The Russell 2000 is up 159.69 points, or 7.7%.

For the year:

The S&P 500 is up 130.76 points, or 3.5%.

The Dow is up 541.76 points, or 1.8%.

The Nasdaq is up 968.01 points, or 7.5%.

The Russell 2000 is up 258.47 points, or 13.1%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Been getting a bunch of their ads on YouTube here lately, not sure why they're bothering.

I think they just go by recent searches. If you searched for say cake recipes that will show up. Same with Google.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

....so....did someone say that this wasn't over yet or what?  Interesting last 2 days, expect more today!

I expect a lot of pissed off people that were told to "hold at all costs" at $350 that finally couldn't take it any longer and got out at $45.  When kids play big boy games they usually get their ass handed to them. 

Bunch of coworkers and I play the market. We all have bunch of money in 401k so this is fun. Been buying companies on the downside and dumping them when they hit our benchmark. Usually 100 shares at a whack. We all started with 5k last summer and we are avg about 15k now so far so good.

what we like:

ford

ge

gtbif

tesla got in at 440.. wow

novn got in at .49

blink

plug power

carnival

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What is the price of tulips?

Well, I can tell you this, if the price of a share of GME rose to the levels that the price of a bulb reached I am going to be one happy camper since that was estimated to be above a skilled laborers salary for an entire year per bulb before it crashed and I would be long gone by that point!

• 2 weeks later...

Semi Off Topic Question:

As someone who is very amateur when it comes to Stocks, how do I get the best jump on an IPO?

From what I DO know (or at least think I know), when an IPO hits a stock comes out at it's IPO price. Let's use $20 for this example.

But by the time my lowly amateur, retail account can by any, it has already jumped up to $50. (I think)

How can I get better access to the original IPO price? Also, are there any good tools/sources for tracking IPOs to know when one is coming? (I have a specific one in mind, but no idea when it will open)

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Semi Off Topic Question:

As someone who is very amateur when it comes to Stocks, how do I get the best jump on an IPO?

From what I DO know (or at least think I know), when an IPO hits a stock comes out at it's IPO price. Let's use $20 for this example.

But by the time my lowly amateur, retail account can by any, it has already jumped up to $50. (I think)

How can I get better access to the original IPO price? Also, are there any good tools/sources for tracking IPOs to know when one is coming? (I have a specific one in mind, but no idea when it will open)

As far as I know, you can't unless you're an investment bank or a high net worth individual who has those connections.  Better explanation copied below:

Let’s first understand who prices and raises funds for an IPO.

IPOs are brokered typically by a syndicate of underwriters known as investment banks (there can be one underwriter but most times it’s a syndicate to spread risk). The investment banks purchase the shares from the company to sell on its behalf for a fee. They determine the price per share and the amount the company should aim to raise. They also attract investors within their network and on the IPO road show. The road show is when the banks/company goes around presenting to investors. The goal is to raise X amount of dollars so that the company can use these proceeds to grow.

That said, to participate in purchasing shares at the IPO price means you need to be an accredited investor such as a large institutional investor. The reason why the everyday retail investor is not invited to purchase shares at the IPO price is because investment banks want to sell larger chunks at one time, which is something most retail investors can not afford. Most times, the firms that participate and buy shares at the IPO price are ones that do business with the investment banks regularly, hence, they tap their network first. If the IPO is popular, some of these firms may not even get a chance to buy in.

There are also inherit risks in buying shares at the IPO price, which is why investment banks do a road show and charge a substantial fee. They try to reduce this risk. Additionally, a lot of companies have private or venture capital firms that previously invested in the company. This is something to watch for because some of these shares could be registered to be sold in the IPO. The rest, insiders included, would be a part of the lockup agreement. You can register shares to be sold in the IPO in two ways:

Shares sold by the investment bank for the IPO could be registered as apart of the debut offering so that they can be sold the day shares start trading on the market

there also are “selling shareholders” such as VC firms or private firms that invested in the company prior and want to get out at the IPO

From the S.E.C. Website:

Existing shareholders can sell their shares in the IPO if their shares are included in and registered as part of the offering. Most large IPOs include only new shares that the company sells in order to raise capital. However, in some cases, shares held by existing shareholders are included in the IPO and the shareholders are called “selling shareholders.” The proceeds from the sales by selling shareholders do not go to the company and instead go to the selling shareholders.

Once the IPO is fully subscribed, or over subscribed, it goes public. The institutions that weren’t registered with the offering can decide to sell or hold shares after the lockup agreement is over. This lockup acts as a hedge for the share price as it prevents a massive sell off.

Retail investors come in at the IPO debut on the secondary market. The shares sold could be by insiders, private firms, and VC funds registered to sell right away, or lastly, institutions who bought at the IPO price and decided to sell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.