The Super Bowl is a Measuring Stick

I want the Chiefs to demolish the Bucs and it is not even because I hate Tom Brady.  

I am as frustrated with the last game and with the coaching as anyone, but this Super Bowl is still a measuring stick for the Bills even though the Bills are not playing.  I get that match ups are a big part of these games and we might not match up well against the Chiefs and maybe we had a bad game.  However, if the Bucs win dominantly over the Chiefs, it will still say something about the Bills.  If the Chiefs crush the Bucs, OTOH, I think I will feel like the Chiefs are just a juggernaut and it was just their year.  I think it will take just a tiny bit of the sting out of our loss.

What I mean to say is, I think I will be thinking about the Bills a lot during the SB.  Not just how they could have been in the game, but comparing schemes to the ones used in our game, evaluating the match ups to see what works and doesn't against the Chiefs, looking at the Chiefs dominance or lack there of, etc.  It has been a long time since I watched a SB with anything near that frame of mind.  I suppose that is just a little bit more evidence of how different this Bills team is.

• Like (+1) 2

I was kind of thinking this. It's more of a perception thing; if the Chiefs win big, the perception will be, "oh - no one was beating that team this year, they're just too good."

I think the reality is more that it's about match-ups. The Bucs might just match up better to them.  I think it will actually be a competitive game. Championships tend to be a little more about defense, and the Bucs have a better one.

Looking more at the Bucs, I also think they would have been a tough match-up for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Buccaneers may get crushed but don't be shocked if it's close. TB has a pass rush and a running game, also Devin White is a beast at MLB.

I don't think it makes Buffalo that much farther off, as I think we could play with TB. I do however think TB is much better equipped to handle KC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Tampa has not had to consistently drive the ball in either of the past 2 games. The Saints gave them a free TD and Green Bay gave them 2. Neither of those 2 teams were good enough to overcome that. 

Tampa's strategy has been very NE-eque: get an early lead, hang around, and wait for you to beat yourself. It worked vs the Saints and especially vs the Packers. The NFL Title Game went from a 4 point TB lead at half (no big deal) to 18 points in about 1 minute of play, both due to colossal blunders by Green Bay more than anything else. 

Tampa is going to put everything into getting their best shots in early to build a lead. If Tampa doesn't have a lead by halftime this will be a blowout win for KC. If they do, it will be a close win for KC with some drama, where a timely penalty flag by the refs could bail Brady out. 

Simply put, if KC plays its A game this won't be close. 

• Like (+1) 2

This would be more valid if the NFL playoffs were played in 7-game series like the rest of sports.  As it is, how many times have we seen a good team blow out a good team and then lose to a bad team the very next week?  It happens a lot in the NFL, based on matchups but also on the simple concept of high variance in low sample sizes.  

Nothing that happens during the Super Bowl should change perspectives on our 2020 season which was a great season that sputtered out in a bad game.

55 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This would be more valid if the NFL playoffs were played in 7-game series like the rest of sports.  As it is, how many times have we seen a good team blow out a good team and then lose to a bad team the very next week?  It happens a lot in the NFL, based on matchups but also on the simple concept of high variance in low sample sizes.  

Nothing that happens during the Super Bowl should change perspectives on our 2020 season which was a great season that sputtered out in a bad game.

I feel like the Superbowl may tell the Buffalo Bills If they over achieved this post season or played a bad game in the AFC Championship..

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle IMO.

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I feel like the Superbowl may tell the Buffalo Bills If they over achieved this post season or played a bad game in the AFC Championship..

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle IMO.

I disagree. The Bills had won 11 out of 12 games heading into Sunday evening. They were the hottest team in the league....with the exception of the Chiefs. They simply played a bad game.  Nothing else.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree. The Bills had won 11 out of 12 games heading into Sunday evening. They were the hottest team in the league....with the exception of the Chiefs. They simply played a bad game.  Nothing else.

I have no argument with bad game although sometimes the level of competition deserves some credit for it IMO.

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I have no argument with bad game although sometimes the level of competition deserves some credit for it IMO.

No doubt...but the Bills did not over achieve this year.  They were literally blowing teams out down the stretch, week after week. Unfortunately, they ran out of gas on Sunday, against a very good opponent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Tampa has not had to consistently drive the ball in either of the past 2 games. The Saints gave them a free TD and Green Bay gave them 2. Neither of those 2 teams were good enough to overcome that. 

Tampa's strategy has been very NE-eque: get an early lead, hang around, and wait for you to beat yourself. It worked vs the Saints and especially vs the Packers. The NFL Title Game went from a 4 point TB lead at half (no big deal) to 18 points in about 1 minute of play, both due to colossal blunders by Green Bay more than anything else. 

Tampa is going to put everything into getting their best shots in early to build a lead. If Tampa doesn't have a lead by halftime this will be a blowout win for KC. If they do, it will be a close win for KC with some drama, where a timely penalty flag by the refs could bail Brady out. 

Simply put, if KC plays its A game this won't be close. 

Unfortunately the Bills got KC’s A game last Sunday 

What happens with the Bucs and Chiefs doesnt really say much at all about the Bills. It's the NFL. Any given Sunday. Here is how the 2020 Wheel of Parity went:

Jets beat Rams

Rams beat Patriots

Patriots beat Dolphins

Dolphins beat Chargers

Chargers beat Raiders

Raiders beat Chiefs

Chiefs beat Ravens

Ravens beat Browns

Browns beat Bengals

Bengals beat Titans

Titans beat Texans

Texans beat Jaguars

Jaguars beat Colts

Colts beat Vikings

Vikings beat Packers

Packers beat Bears

Bears beat Bucs

Bucs beat Falcons

Falcons beat Broncos

Broncos beat Panthers

Panthers beat Lions

Lions beat Cardinals

Cardinals beat Bills

Bills beat Seahawks

Seahawks beat Cowboys

Cowboys beat Giants

Giants beat Washington

Washington beat Steelers

Steelers beat Eagles

Eagles beat Saints

Saints beat 49ers

49ers beat Jets

Everyone sucks, deal with it

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No doubt...but the Bills did not over achieve this year.  They were literally blowing teams out down the stretch, week after week. Unfortunately, they ran out of gas on Sunday, against a very good opponent.

Fair enough from a league perpective.

Do you think its possible Buffalo may have over achieved in the sense that the Buffalo Bills were not quite ready to win a Championship like many had hoped? The Colts game was close and the Ravens game was not a blowout IMO. I also feel like the Browns gave K C a better game then we did IMO.

Edited by Figster

5 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I want the Chiefs to demolish the Bucs and it is not even because I hate Tom Brady.  

I am as frustrated with the last game and with the coaching as anyone, but this Super Bowl is still a measuring stick for the Bills even though the Bills are not playing.  I get that match ups are a big part of these games and we might not match up well against the Chiefs and maybe we had a bad game.  However, if the Bucs win dominantly over the Chiefs, it will still say something about the Bills.  If the Chiefs crush the Bucs, OTOH, I think I will feel like the Chiefs are just a juggernaut and it was just their year.  I think it will take just a tiny bit of the sting out of our loss.

What I mean to say is, I think I will be thinking about the Bills a lot during the SB.  Not just how they could have been in the game, but comparing schemes to the ones used in our game, evaluating the match ups to see what works and doesn't against the Chiefs, looking at the Chiefs dominance or lack there of, etc.  It has been a long time since I watched a SB with anything near that frame of mind.  I suppose that is just a little bit more evidence of how different this Bills team is.

The NFL does NOT work like this:

A beats B

C beats A

C must be better than B.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

A few key players at key positions will take this team to a whole new level. 

1. DE pass rush

2. RB 

3. New center and guard

4. CB opposite White

If we hit on our 1st and 2nd picks and get 2 guys through FA we can make another big jump.

I dont disagree with the holes you have identified, but 5 new players is a big number ( considering their draft position and Cap limitations) and they will need to be fortunate to fill them all in one off season...

They also may have further holes to fill if they lose Milano and Williams..

5 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

This is the first thing I think of when a Bills fan says they want the Bucs to win. It's obvious that I want any team that beats me to be perceived to be as strong as possible.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I dont disagree with the holes you have identified, but 5 new players is a big number ( considering their draft position and Cap limitations) and they will need to be fortunate to fill them all in one off season...

They also may have further holes to fill if they lose Milano and Williams..

I’m not saying it will be easy, if Beanie even hits on the 1st and 2nd picks for rookie plug and play upgrades I will be amazed. If he also signs 2 top tier FA’s I will consider him a Warlock. The road ahead doesn’t look easy but more doable then in previous years.

• Like (+1) 1