Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

He did look real thin...He weighed in at 275 at the Combine. I wonder how low he got? Certainly did not look any more than about 250...My guess is they want him around 260-265...He's a little over 6-5 so that's probably as low as he can go and stay effective as a 4-3 DE...

The good news is they asked him to cut and he did it. Shows his dedication. At least we don't have another Marcell Dareus situation in that regard...😎

agree.  perhaps they should have given him a target weight.  They said, "he went overboard."  Well, you said cut weight, and he went all-in on that! 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is the Bills were 12-0 when Milano played and 3-3 this year when he didn't.

Now a W or L is not all Milano, but that does argue for a close look under the hood before saying "the team did fine"

they were 4-9 with him in 2018 and 2-1 without him. 🤷‍♂️ 

I think it more important to ask if we can do better. 

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Anyone else wonder if we had a third running back with speed and pass catching ability to mix with the other 2 guys if things wouldn't be better. More like NE always does with multiple backs filling roles. Of course that would mean replacing 33 yr old gunner Taiwan Jones on special teams.👀

For crying out loud, we should be able to have some guys on special teams who contribute to the offense too. I don't know if Antonio Williams and a speed back are the answer, but I'd like to see!

We do have alot of those types, Roberts, Jones, Matakvich, Gilliam to some extent, though he does at least contribute some on offense

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We were 24th in rush attempts per game. TB was 28th, KC was 23rd and Green Bay was 15th. 

KC and GB were 11th and 6th in yards per rush respectively. We were 19th and TB was 26th.

TB is worse than us running the ball. All the teams in the conference championship game live and die by the arm of their QB. 

Is that only after adding in Allens yards gained rushing?

Always felt kind of unfair how QB running yards are measured.  If a QB scrambles and gets sacked even as little as one yard behind the LOS it counts as a sack, but as soon as he crosses the LOS it becomes positive rushing yards gained.  Seems like the only time a QB gets negative rushing yards in when taking a knee.

Would like to see QB running yards tracked differently, once he drops back to pass yards gained or lost is totaled separately, call it yards scrambling

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

the Bills will "be hunted."  Na.  The hunted teams are those that make the SB.  We need a running game/balanced offense, and a defense that can pressure the QB.  

you deserve a ¨C´Mon man!!¨ moment of the week! of course BB meant haunted from within the division! it´s been 3 days, filled with good (and bad)approaches to get over the disappointment,

let´s all go out and have a walk to refresh ourselves, before we point fingers to our elite level GM!😉

Edited by BuffaLoko

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

Beane basically said it had nothing to do with balance. He knows we'll be a pass heavy team from here on out. It's more about being able to run when you need to. When teams are basically daring you to run, and you can't do it to loosen up the Pass coverage and create more opportunities in the Pass game. Just think about what KC did to us in that 1st game and that is what Beane is looking for. KC has NO balance...basically...But if you dare them to, they will run it. And they will hurt you when they do. 😎

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Here's a question, does running the ball more "balanced" beat the Chiefs? Or does getting Josh another weapon in the passing game do that? 

No doubt the Bills need to run the ball more effectively when they do run. Is that up front with the OL? Or is it the scheme?

I'll stop reading the thread here to respond, if we had Nick Chubb I think we win that game.  We need to be able to run when the opposing defense is playing the pass, just like what has happened to our defense this year. Then in running situations we should be able to pass better.

Sounds like so far Beane is more concerned about the line than the backs, so I'm looking for more changes there, at least for next year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

2 of the 3 losses(KC & Ten) were games postponed because of COVID and the first 2 games Josh played after separating his shoulder, requiring him to wear a LBers harness to keep the shoulder stable. Something Matt Hasselbeck has said makes you inaccurate as a thrower(offense was a problem in both games). The 3rd loss should've been a win, but we ultimately lost on the hail mary play. 

It's very true that Milano missing was far from the only factor in those games  Especially in the Tenn. game, our offense and ST put the defense in a big hole 4x.

That said, the defense did not play well against Tennessee and AZ.  At Tenn, just when we'd drawn within 4 pts 10-14, the D gave up a 12 play, 90 yd drive to go into half 10-21.  Then another 6 minute, 12 play, 75 yd drive when we'd scored a TD early in the 4th Q to possibly bring ourselves back within 2 scores.

The similar thing "ultimately lost on the Hail Mary play".  We were leading 23-9.  If the D doesn't give up 17 points (14 on 75 and 56 yd drives), we don't have to re-take the lead.  After we re-take the lead, if we don't let them convert 2 1st downs and move the ball 32 yds in 23 seconds, there is no "Hail Murray".

You can never say the team "ultimately lost on one play" IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Keeping milano over Edmunds isn’t really an option though. The only way milano stays imo is if his market is ice cold. It only takes one and we see every year in free agency someone throw crazy money around. 
I could see Jacksonville or Indy tossing Milano a big payday 

Cleveland needs lbs too

16 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Some of y'all are WAY better than me at the numbers side.

But if you're wondering where the tough decisions may come, at a quick glance it looks like the Bills can save over 20 million by cutting Smoke, Jefferson, and Butler. I think if Star is coming back you can fairly assume one of those two DT's will be gone. Maybe all take a big cut?

Add in Micah and it's over $25 million...Don't get me wrong, I doubt they cut all of them...It's just where the major fat is and the lower dead cap money...  😎

If you listen to both McDermott and to Beane's end of year pressers and take them at face value, they believe the DL started slow but "laid a good foundation" by the end of the year.  They don't sound like they're reaching for the scissors there.

Beane said he didn't see Hyde's play as falling off at all.  I don't think the scissors come out for Mr Hyde, either.

Of them all, I think Smoke is likeliest to be cut unless he restructures, and Jefferson has 0 dead cap which makes it a possibility he can go.

I'm pretty sure Oliver and Butler turned into our most productive DL, but whether that was considered a Star-less stop-gap I can't tell you.

I do know we need change, and McBeane can't change things by keeping them the same.

• Like (+1) 1

Milano's value to Buffalo is probably higher than what it would be to most defenses, because of the system McDermott runs. Buffalo runs a 5-2 system, and we almost ALWAYS have 2 LBs on the field every play. So those 2 LBs have to be able to run sideline-to-sideline, drop in coverage, tackle efficiently, and be an effective blitzer.

Losing Milano means you'll probably have to move to a true base 4-3, and figure if you're going to use a dime rather than nickel in passing situations. It might be easier to find a 4th corner or safety who can cover and play the run, than a 2nd backer who can cover and do all the things Milano can

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

This.

KC is built on Mahomes throwing the ball, but he can throw to WR's, a TE (Kelce), a RB and they can run the ball.

Green Bay is built on Rodgers throwing the ball, but he can throw to WR's, a TE (Tonyan), a RB and they can run the ball.

Tampa Bay is built on Brady throwing the ball, but he can throw to WR's, TE's (Gronk/Brate), a RB and they can run the ball.

Buffalo is built on Allen throwing the ball, and he can throw to WR's.  

Exactly!

Buffalo shut down KC's deep passing game so what did they do in week 6. They handed off to Chiefs RB Edwards-Helaire, 26 carries for 161 yards, a 6.2 ypc avg. 

BALANCE! 

When the team has difficulty in one area of the offense it helps to be able get another to work to win a game. 

Last season it was more pronounced as Minnesota, San Fran, Ravens, Titans all made a huge impact into the playoffs with a stout run game. Their failure was in their passing game. Buffalo already has one of the very best passing offenses in the NFL. Now get that run game working! 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Says no big moves in FA due to salary cap restrictions which is obvious.....but they wouldn’t be as restricted if they didn’t over value and over pay some really average players in last years FA. 

I don’t agree. He has directed his staff from the start that we won’t get into Cap hell. This is all about Covid and the unforeseen Cap consequences. Going For us, is that damn near everybody has the same issue and creative contracts (back loaded, etc.) will be very prevalent this offseason. Plus, the League warned of this major Cap drop way before vaccines became available and a new tv contract has yet to be completed. I suspect we’ll ALL be happily surprised with the final Cap number -which won’t be official until the new $$ is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

Because we didn’t a lot against Baltimore or Kansas City, so the natural instinct is to run to the other side of the ship and start investing resources into the OLine and RBs.

I’d argue we didn’t really try to run the ball, and Yeldon has been virtually inactive for 2-years.

Honestly, has this regime really “gone after” RB? They drafted two guys who both run over 4.60, neither one screamed feature NFL back.

And still, who wants the Bills to start tilting back towards a 55/45 pass run split? Like you said, Allen is our best player on offense.

Unless we get a dynamic playmaker at RB, running the ball is going to do what it always does, allows a team to hold the ball longer at 3-5 yards per clip. 

How much do we really want to invest in running backs? Should the Bills instead try and get better Guard/Center/RT play since Dawkins is already extended?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Agree with a lot of this.

To the bold, I almost think that' one task. If they Bills improve the interior OL the running game will be more efficient/effective. I don't want the Bills running more because I'd prefer the ball stayed in Joshs hand but if they ran more effectively when they did, it would help. 

Only thing I would add beyond the pass rush is I think they need another weapon in the pass game for Josh. And I'm thinking it needs to be TE.

Of course.  On defense the priority is always gonna be pass rush and corners and that's just how the modern game is played. 

Interior OL consistently offers options in UFA, which may be the best route considering the time it can take an OLineman to develop.  As to the TE - yes.  Knox has some flaws to his game, Kroft will go UFA, Smith is blocker, and Sweeney is a complete unknown with his condition.  It's time to be focused on that because almost all the top teams have someone who can run the seam and attack a defense.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t agree. He has directed his staff from the start that we won’t get into Cap hell. This is all about Covid and the unforeseen Cap consequences. Going For us, is that damn everybody has the same issue and creative contracts (back loaded, etc.) will be very prevalent this offseason. Plus, the League warned of this major Cap drop way before vaccines became available and a new tv contract has yet to be completed. I suspect we’ll ALL be happily surprised with the final Cap number -which won’t be official until the new $$ is.

Well kind of.

The Bills have been ‘ok’ drafters with Beane, but they’ve had to supplement quite a bit of the roster via FA, and that’s always going to lead to pricey veterans. 

The WR group has been his best work, but we’ve struggled to find much impact on the DLine in the draft or FA.

I think you are going to see a lot of 1 year and bargain deals this year.  We aren't the only ones who will be facing these issues, in fact most teams are in much worse cap position than we are.

Thankfully we have a competent GM.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Some of y'all are WAY better than me at the numbers side.

But if you're wondering where the tough decisions may come, at a quick glance it looks like the Bills can save over 20 million by cutting Smoke, Jefferson, and Butler. I think if Star is coming back you can fairly assume one of those two DT's will be gone. Maybe all take a big cut?

Add in Micah and it's over $25 million...Don't get me wrong, I doubt they cut all of them...It's just where the major fat is and the lower dead cap money...  😎

Those are the obvious big 3.  Don't think for a minute that those players and agents don't know that too.  One major thing that is a lower

chance of happening but could get into the works is a trade of one of those players to a needy team that has another positional player

to fill a hole in the Bills needs.

Most fans are concerned with Milano/Williams/Feliciano signings (as they should) but there is also some other free agents who need to be considered

with signing or replacing.

Roberts/McKenzie/Wallace/Boettger/Bojorquez/Marlowe all come to mind and will cost more than an UDFA which are currently counting

against the top 51.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well kind of.

The Bills have been ‘ok’ drafters with Beane, but they’ve had to supplement quite a bit of the roster via FA, and that’s always going to lead to pricey veterans. 

The WR group has been his best work, but we’ve struggled to find much impact on the DLine in the draft or FA.

look what a true #1 WR did for the WR group and the offense.  DL needs its Diggs this year.  Paying 5-6 JAGs $8-10m per year is not smart allocation of cap dollars.  Go get a stud who demands double teams and he’ll make everybody better.  

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think you are going to see a lot of 1 year and bargain deals this year.  We aren't the only ones who will be facing these issues, in fact most teams are in much worse cap position than we are.

Thankfully we have a competent GM.

Agree. Don't think going to be lots of trades as well unless there reasonable contracts for players.