Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok. Point is, the D and Team did fine with him and without Milano. Milano is replaceable.

My understanding is the Bills were 12-0 when Milano played and 3-3 this year when he didn't.

Now a W or L is not all Milano, but that does argue for a close look under the hood before saying "the team did fine"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my interpretation.  He used the Jordan Phillips conversation.

The thing is, for both Shaq Lawson and for Jordan Phillips as I recall the Bills offer was not that far off of what they eventually took, on a per-year basis.  The big sticking point seemed to be the length of the contract and the guaranteed $$. 

But to replace them, we wound up spending a lot of dollars to bring in a bunch of guys who arguably we did not get nearly as much production from.

I kind of had a sinking feeling when I heard that about Milano - that we might wind up spending more to bring in 2-3 JAGS who, added together, only kind of replace him

Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson were no more productive in 2020 than the players Beane replaced them with.

I know some people refuse to believe that players raise their off-season prep and in-season games to the max in contract years but it's a reality............Shaq and Phillips were THOSE kinda' guys........that was their character/MO for several seasons to start their careers.........underachievers......and predictably huge disappointments for their new teams.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is the Bills were 12-0 when Milano played and 3-3 this year when he didn't.

Now a W or L is not all Milano, but that does argue for a close look under the hood before saying "the team did fine"

One of those losses was to KC, and the defense was an unmitigated disaster in the second KC game Milano played in.  

Tennessee was when we had no idea how to use Klein, amongst a plethora of other issues going on at the time.  

Then we lost to Arizona on a hail mary.  

I'm just not sure that record is indicative of anything we need to look too deep into. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is a fun, but meaningless stat. Especially given how the team played in the losses to Tenn and KC, and the fact we had the Arizona game all but won.

The team did fine without him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Like who?  Klein? Every other FA can be cut with little dead cap. 

Can you explain what "little dead cap" means to you?

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

One of those losses was to KC, and the defense was an unmitigated disaster in the second KC game Milano played in.  

Tennessee was when we had no idea how to use Klein, amongst a plethora of other issues going on at the time.  

Then we lost to Arizona on a hail mary.  

I'm just not sure that record is indicative of anything we need to look too deep into. 

And that may be a fair take.  But it may not be.  The Cover1 guys seem to feel our defense is a different beast with Milano in there.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Beane's comments about Milano "earning the right to test the market" and that the Bills "would like to bring him back" sounds to me like they are planning on him not  being here next year.

I agree that seems to be the language Beane uses in an end-of-season presser when his assessment is that the FA market will likely offer a player more than he is willing to pay.

6 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

No...They still want him at DE. Just sounds like he went a little overboard on the weight cut and had problems putting any back on. I think a lot of it had to do with the strange off season. I think if it's a regular off season and he's in the facility every day, their plan for his weight would have been better managed. 😎

makes sense.  Hopefully he’s living in the weightroom this offseason.  He needs to bulk up for sure.  Could be a big year for him next year if he gets his body right. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And that may be a fair take.  But it may not be.  The Cover1 guys seem to feel our defense is a different beast with Milano in there.

Moving on from Milano and sacrificing good rotational players for a stud and some JAG's in certain areas might just be the move we have to make to construct a team that can beat KC.  

The downside is that team could also be more susceptible to losses against other teams over the course of the season if we get an injury bug and a 6th Round rookie has to play meaningful snaps in multiple games somewhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

Milano is going to be tough to replace, but I think we pretty much have to try. I'm not necessarily convinced that Edmunds is or will be a better player than Milano, but we can probably only afford to pay one of them and Edmunds is understandably the one they're going to be willing to bet on. We're going to need to find a diamond in the rough.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly have no clue what you all see in Milano. Pass coverage?? TEs ate us alive all season all the playoffs.. Blitzing??...the guy simply got absorbed into the trench way too many times. Missed tackles galore with Milano...every game he got juked or repeatedly failed his arm-tackling. IMO...he is WAY overrated. Please let him walk ...

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

makes sense.  Hopefully he’s living in the weightroom this offseason.  He needs to bulk up for sure.  Could be a big year for him next year if he gets his body right. 

He did look real thin...He weighed in at 275 at the Combine. I wonder how low he got? Certainly did not look any more than about 250...My guess is they want him around 260-265...He's a little over 6-5 so that's probably as low as he can go and stay effective as a 4-3 DE...

The good news is they asked him to cut and he did it. Shows his dedication. At least we don't have another Marcell Dareus situation in that regard...😎

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

Josh dropping back and slinging it a zillion times works when he is facing teams that cannot get to him and stop the run with their front d-linemen and are not able to drop everyone else into coverage effectively.

Sure Allen had an MVP caliber season, but teams that could generate pressure with their front 4 and still leave 2 safeties back deep and field DBs across the shallow zones were able to give him his worst games. No open receivers, holding the ball too long, pressure in his face, and costly sacks and incompletions.

Having the ability to run the ball, does not mean that you run the ball all the time and that Allen cannot sling it. There is this illogical fear that being able to run means that our offense is going to use 12 personnel and pound it 50% of the time and that is not the case. It means that you have the legit threat that you can run the ball when you need to. When teams have great coverage and can generate pressure, or when some of your key receiving threats are dinged up, you can dictate their defense and slow their pass rush.

KC uses 12 personnel and has the option to run or hit their TE's usually 30%-35% of the time, but no one thinks of them as a running team. They can when they need to. When we did to them what they did to us and took away all their receivers what did they do? They ran all over us.

When teams go into a split-deep safety look and flood the field with defensive backs leaving the box virtually empty we should be able to run against that and force them to change their defensive posture or personnel. It means that when their d-line is pinning its ears back to rush Allen they now have to tap the brakes to ensure a runner does not slip past them.

When they have to change how they play us, it opens up the intermediate passes and play-action passes deep with no help over the top. It also keeps Allen from taking a lot of unnecessary hits from defensive linemen who have no reason to slow down.

Allen having an MVP season is great, but it is not the goal. The team winning it all is the goal.

In the championship games against more complete teams you have to be able to make good on the threat of being able to run on them if they are cheating their personnel towards coverage and pass rush. It was the legit threat of KC running the ball along with their deep passing threat that kept the Bills in an ineffective defensive purgatory of having to keep enough guys in the box and leave enough deep which left a lot of open green in between.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Beane's comments about Milano "earning the right to test the market" and that the Bills "would like to bring him back" sounds to me like they are planning on him not  being here next year.

My guess is they hope he goes out and does not get what he's looking for due to the Cap in 2021 and the fact that he did have a bit of an off-season due to injuries. Then they can work something out on a 1 year deal. He'll get a big raise no matter what for a year (his 2020 base was only $2.1 million), then hit FA in what will hopefully be a huge money market in 2022...😎

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

who cares about play calling, but good lord they have a running back on the field almost every offensive down. At least get us a RB that can break a run occasionally to slow the pass rush or hit a swing pass for 25 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson were no more productive in 2020 than the players Beane replaced them with.

I know some people refuse to believe that players raise their off-season prep and in-season games to the max in contract years but it's a reality............Shaq and Phillips were THOSE kinda' guys........that was their character/MO for several seasons to start their careers.........underachievers......and predictably huge disappointments for their new teams.

I'm sure the perception that these guys could not necessarily be counted on to "buy in" and continue to prep and play at the same level or better once given a guaranteed contract factored into the decision.

I thought Shaq Lawson played well for Miami when I saw him (which is not often, given where I live), but looking at his stats overall you have a point if you're comparing him to Mario Addison.  Of course, Phillips only played 8 (effectively) games, so there's that.

For Jordan Phillips, I think a big factor in the decision about a guaranteed contract was his tendency to free-lance and go "off script" sometimes.  I don't know if you saw Matt Fairburn's article in the Athletic.  After he was fired in Philly, he got feedback:

Mikell was honest with him, too. Those Eagles defenses had what Mikell described as some “colorful personalities.” Some players didn’t buy into the system and would occasionally go off script on the field.

“They were there kind of selfishly doing their own thing,” Mikell said. “And I said, ‘That’s one thing that you have to make sure is, moving along, that’s your way or no way. It’s not, ‘I’m gonna do this on this play, because this is what I feel like doing.’”

I think the biggest Phillips play I catagorize that way, was an encroachment penalty at a critical place against Pittsburgh last year.  Phillips posted on Social Media "did you see any encroachment?" and he was probably right - he knew their cadence and got a clean jump seeking a TFL or a sack for himself.  But that's also a move very likely to be flagged, which hurt the team.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For me "little dead cap" is related to the Dead Cap hit v full Cap Hit by percentage.

Anyone under say 25% would be that for me.  Of course that % changes for players with a low Cap Hit.

If you sort at the current 2021 Dead Cap from highest to lowest the Bills most expensive players are not going anywhere.

Beane has held on to guys that may have been over paid in the past BUT I think he will have to be much more "NFL business like"

this year.  

Bills at -$6M for the top 51 today but all this talk as to what is going to happen will have to wait until the final NFL Cap # comes

in and the adjustments are done.  (Adjustment note:  Diggs incentives alone for catches/yards will net him an additional $1.3M). 

I'm sure Beane has his guys crunching numbers in a myriad of options.  

One thing I will watch is the fact that Beane and McDermott are pretty good with player relations.  IF they want to cut some guys

they probably will do it early enough so those guys get the full benefit of FA to find another team.  I'll be watching for that first.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2 of the 3 losses(KC & Ten) were games postponed because of COVID and the first 2 games Josh played after separating his shoulder, requiring him to wear a LBers harness to keep the shoulder stable. Something Matt Hasselbeck has said makes you inaccurate as a thrower(offense was a problem in both games). The 3rd loss should've been a win, but we ultimately lost on the hail mary play. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not at $14M/year for Milano. He isnt that good. He's the best of what we have now, but that's not saying much. For a coverage LB, TEs kill us. And he's still a liability in open-field tackling.

Milano will hit the market, and some team will prob over pay for him. I'd trigger Edmunds 5th year option, but he needs to improve big time in order to get that 2nd contract.

Draft Milano's replacement this year, look to draft Edmunds replacement next year.

He would probably be closer to 10mil a year.

• Agree 1

Some of y'all are WAY better than me at the numbers side.

But if you're wondering where the tough decisions may come, at a quick glance it looks like the Bills can save over 20 million by cutting Smoke, Jefferson, and Butler. I think if Star is coming back you can fairly assume one of those two DT's will be gone. Maybe all take a big cut?

Add in Micah and it's over $25 million...Don't get me wrong, I doubt they cut all of them...It's just where the major fat is and the lower dead cap money...  😎

Edited by KOKBILLS

5 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

My guess is they hope he goes out and does not get what he's looking for due to the Cap in 2021 and the fact that he did have a bit of an off-season due to injuries. Then they can work something out on a 1 year deal. He'll get a big raise no matter what for a year (his 2020 base was only $2.1 million), then hit FA in what will hopefully be a huge money market in 2022...😎

I like Milano but paying him more than $10m per year is a gross mis-allocation of funds.  He’s a good player but doesn’t rush the passer and doesn’t shut down Tight Ends.  He’s a luxury player for a team like the Bills without a pass rush.  That money needs to be spent on a pass rusher or somebody who can slow down the top Tight Ends.  I’d offer him 4 years, $30m.  

• Like (+1) 3