Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Failure to acknowledge a point that maybe trading a draft pick for a guy who turned out to have about the same production (and missed games) than the FA we signed while substituting a dismissive crack, but that's kind of your SOP here. 

Say more about the "why a running game can work"?

What did he say about Feliciano?

I only listened to the first half and heard nothing specifically about Feliciano.

He offered more of why a running game may not work to be honest.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm guessing they'd really like to see Ford earn his 2nd round selection. He was expected to help the run game.

Beane sounded very high on Cody Ford:

I think the "he's one of our best five" is a slight misquote - I think it was caveatted a bit like "I believe he will be".

Other points from what Beane said:

-not committing to slotting him in at tackle or guard

-but did say if we can't re-sign Darryl Williams, we would look to pick up someone else in FA

-said that Ford has played as many games hurt as healthy (which I guess shows he's tough and willing to sacrifice for the team, but does it also say he's easily injured?)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well that’s why I said in my first post of this thread, that nobody expects 3rd and 4th Rounders to

dominate the league.

But should the bar be higher for Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa? 

Does either Singletary or Moss look like a full time starter?

Knox has the athleticism, but he looks like a player that was never depended on in his college offense. He looks like a #2 Tight End.

Davis and especially Bass look like

right decisions. 

But that’s why I think it’s a mixed bag of drafting combined with a lot of free agents to fill in the holes.

Anytime you draft a 1st or 2nd rounder you expect more than what we've gotten so far from Oliver & Edmunds. I'll give AJE a pass since it's his rookie year. Knox imho will never be a TE1. Wish we could afford Hunter Henry but I know we can't.  The top 2 priorities I think for BB is finding a reasonable FA DE and consider drafting a legit RB in the 1st or 2nd. Singletary is awful and who knows how Moss looks next year. You absolutely can't expect Josh to be 90+% of your offense. Crazytown.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or, maybe he is realistic that run plays require blocking execution by the OL, TE, and WR and if that's not there, it's pointless to single out the backs?

Going to be interesting to see what we do with the OL.

Plenty of blame to go around, the run game overall was very ineffective. The blocking was awful and they were repeatedly blown off of the LOS throughout the season. That being said, RBs really didn't look that good either. 

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane sounded very high on Cody Ford:

I think the "he's one of our best five" is a slight misquote - I think it was caveatted a bit like "I believe he will be".

Other points from what Beane said:

-not committing to slotting him in at tackle or guard

-but did say if we can't re-sign Darryl Williams, we would look to pick up someone else in FA

-said that Ford has played as many games hurt as healthy (which I guess shows he's tough and willing to sacrifice for the team, but does it also say he's easily injured?)

I’m high on Ford. How he handled Donald - and at times Brockers- after switching to left guard was impressively unexpected. If I had to bet I’d say LG is his natural ability shows best. 

49 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm guessing they'd really like to see Ford earn his 2nd round selection. He was expected to help the run game.

Ford was seen, pre-draft, as a sure thing at Guard. 

Let’s all hope he figures it out, because we could really use him stepping up. 

Beane in general:

So one place where McDermott and Beane seem to agree we have holes is in the run game.  And if Beane doesn't want to single out the RBs, then that kind of points to the OL:

So let's look for some "tea leaves" on OL from Beane's presser

On Morse:

Boettger:

Beane said they focused more on developing him at guard instead of versatility, and he responded and played well.

Feliciano

Williams

Boettger, Feliciano and Williams are the FA. 

Morse is signed for another 2 years, with more dead cap than cap savings in 2021 ($5.8M vs $4.75M)

Dawkins got a new contract this off-season

Ford has 2 more years on his rookie deal

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Plenty of blame to go around, the run game overall was very ineffective. The blocking was awful and they were repeatedly blown off of the LOS throughout the season. That being said, RBs really didn't look that good either. 

Beane certainly didn't excuse the RB of blame.  He just said it wasn't fair to single them out for it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We were 24th in rush attempts per game. TB was 28th, KC was 23rd and Green Bay was 15th. 

KC and GB were 11th and 6th in yards per rush respectively. We were 19th and TB was 26th.

TB is worse than us running the ball. All the teams in the conference championship game live and die by the arm of their QB. 

This year they lived on the strength of their defense to be honest....

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Boettger, Feliciano and Williams are the FA. 

Morse is signed for another 2 years, with more dead cap than cap savings in 2021 ($5.8M vs $4.75M)

Dawkins got a new contract this off-season

Ford has 2 more years on his rookie deal

Boettger is an RFA, so he will be tendered for sure.

According to Spotrac, Morse's cap hit for 2021 is $10.35 mil and his dead cap hit is listed at $5.5, so they'd save almost $5 mil if they release him. 

Some interesting tidbits from Beane related to Morse: he's not going to over-power a DT; he commented on how well they ran the ball against the Pats when Morse was out.  I'm wondering if they think they need someone else who would better anchor the middle?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m high on Ford. How he handled Donald - and at times Brockers- after switching to left guard was impressively unexpected. If I had to bet I’d say LG is his natural ability shows best. 

I’ll be surprised if Ford can stay healthy.

He was hurt in college with broken leg, hurt as a rookie, and injured again this season.

And as a rookie this staff had him bouncing from RT to RG and back. 

16 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’ll be surprised if Ford can stay healthy.

He was hurt in college with broken leg, hurt as a rookie, and injured again this season.

And as a rookie this staff had him bouncing from RT to RG and back. 

Why? A broken fibula is sort of a freak result of having a 300 lb man roll into your leg at full speed. Unless it’s shattered or gets infected it heals easily. The meniscus this season - 4 years after the fibula - should heal up fine. He was banged up a bit in 19’ but still started 15 games and played in 16. 

I’d be a lot more concerned with them not letting him settle into a single position and hone his technique.  

Edited by Buffalo Junction

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or, maybe he is realistic that run plays require blocking execution by the OL, TE, and WR and if that's not there, it's pointless to single out the backs?

Going to be interesting to see what we do with the OL.

They did go hard after Bell early in the season,  i just don't see any burst to the line with Singletary. 

16 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

They did go hard after Bell early in the season,  i just don't see any burst to the line with Singletary. 

He seems so inconsistent (Singletary).  One play he'll hit the hole hard.  Another it looks like he's running in slow motion.  One play he'll keep his legs churning and move a pile of guys 3 yards.  Another he'll go down at the first contact.  One play he'll make a good catch in the flat and gain 10 yards.  Another he'll drop the ball.

Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Back in da day when Le'Veon Bell was a featured back running for 80-100 ypg, wasn't he said to have a unique, patient running style where he would delay to get to the line of scrimmage and let holes develop?  I believe one pundit christened him "The Great Hesitator".  So if we want "burst to the line", going hard after Bell would not seem like the way to go.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He seems so inconsistent (Singletary).  One play he'll hit the hole hard.  Another it looks like he's running in slow motion.  One play he'll keep his legs churning and move a pile of guys 3 yards.  Another he'll go down at the first contact.  One play he'll make a good catch in the flat and gain 10 yards.  Another he'll drop the ball.

Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Back in da day when Le'Veon Bell was a featured back running for 80-100 ypg, wasn't he said to have a unique, patient running style where he would delay to get to the line of scrimmage and let holes develop?  I believe one pundit christened him "The Great Hesitator".  So if we want "burst to the line", going hard after Bell would not seem like the way to go.

I think Moss has some power to his game and i have no problem with him returning,  but the Bills need to have someone who can provide explosive plays.   I like what i saw in Williams during the Miami game and it is not uncommon to find a very productive & fast RB after the first round in the draft.  I think having a decent running game that teams have to respect will make things easier for Allen to take another step next season.IMO

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Reading between the lines I think it’s safe to say that Matt Milano is gone. 

I don't think too much reading between necessary.  Beane said all the same things about Matt Milano that he said about Jordan Phillips.

and yet, in his press conference, he kind of sounded like in retrospect he thought losing Jordan Phillips hurt the team, so....

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think too much reading between necessary.  Beane said all the same things about Matt Milano that he said about Jordan Phillips.

and yet, in his press conference, he kind of sounded like in retrospect he thought losing Jordan Phillips hurt the team, so....

I just watched the interview... what are your thoughts about what he said about Brown?

I wouldn’t say it was an endorsement... something along the lines that he “ would figure it out in the off-season”... 

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, Milano was brought up a few times. My overall impression is that Milano will get to test the FA market like Phillips did. The Bills will make a offer but if someone offers up more I don't think we will match. It'll be on Milano to decide what he does IMO.

It's also kinda felt like they will let Williams test the FA market the same. 

Beane stressed the cap numerous times in the zoom presser. My overall impression was that DL and TE are prob our biggest targets at this phase in FA. They probably will roll with current DB and Oline depth. 

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Says no big moves in FA due to salary cap restrictions which is obvious.....but they wouldn’t be as restricted if they didn’t over value and over pay some really average players in last years FA. 

Would that be some players named Jefferson, Butler and Addison?

• Like (+1) 1