Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha.  This is the "Good is the Enemy of Great" conundrum.

We have a good OL - but it's not quite good enough against the very best front 7s.  So we probably need to make a move away from good in search of great.

We have a good defensive front 7 (front 6 really, given our Nickle Love).  But it's not quite good enough against the very best OLs, QBs, and TE.  So we probably need to make a move away from good in search of great.

My hope is that we'll be able to make deliberate, well-thought-out moves towards that goal rather than cap-driven clippage.

I think this move should be targeted though.  I don't think Edmunds or Milano are the weak links of our front 6.  I think it's the other 3 guys... because Hughes isn't a weak link, either.  And I really think we missed Star a lot this season and just getting him back is going to help.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

30 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Very true.

The recency effect is huge in sports. When you look at some of the teams we beat, and how we beat them, a lot of that gets forgotten. Everyone was talking about how good Miami's D was and how few points they'd given up. We DESTROYED them with ease. Then people were saying how good the Ravens were, how the weather in Buffalo would benefit their world beating run game, and we held them to 3 points and made Lamar look so bad a lot of their fans are now questioning whether they can ever reach a SB with him, let alone win one.

Everyone was high on the bills before this game and yeah, we got stomped. But KC is light years ahead of every other team in the league. Obviously we need to aspire to be able to beat them, but we're not suddenly an average team because they beat us. We're a very good team who you'd put money on to beat pretty much any team in the league right now... except KC.

100% agree. 
After last years debacle vs Houston all the talk was how we were terrible and have one of the hardest schedules and would be lucky to even get in the playoffs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

To me that is the defin of a balanced offense......I dont want to pass it and run it evenly.....I want to be effective at running the ball when I do

In theory.....this is EXACTLY what should happen because a defense should adjust to stop the pass....which means the running game SHOULD be getting big chunk yards but for some damn reason this offense does not.

Think of how helpful this would have been in the KC game......you do everything you can to keep t he ball out of Mahommes hands

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly I wanted them to trade for Calais Campbell over signing Addison. Think he’s an overall better player and makes more of an impact defensively. Also wanted DJ Reader and wanted Clowney. Obviously that didn’t work out for the Titans and I would’ve loved for them to swing a trade for Yannick. 

He signed players who didn’t really live up to their contract value. They were all pretty underwhelming as was the defense as a whole for a good amount of the season. 

But as you said they can get out from those contracts rather easily and make some adjustments to the line which I hope they do..... From what Beane said in the PC, sounded like he wanted to give this group more time. We will find out.

In all seriousness though did you expect either Beane or Mcdermott to say “man we messed up some signings and we’ll be making changes” 

Theyre never gonna publicly be honest about that. If Beane were let’s just say just for fun an example.... Traded our second round pick to Chicago for say Akiem Hicks (I think he’s a free agent but whatever) you don’t think he’ll cut Jefferson or Butler or someone to recoup money? 
If he can upgrade he’ll cut some guys loose. If they throw these guys under the bus it’s a bad look. 

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly I wanted them to trade for Calais Campbell over signing Addison. Think he’s an overall better player and makes more of an impact defensively. Also wanted DJ Reader and wanted Clowney. Obviously that didn’t work out for the Titans and I would’ve loved for them to swing a trade for Yannick. 

He signed players who didn’t really live up to their contract value. They were all pretty underwhelming as was the defense as a whole for a good amount of the season. 

I was hoping for Campbell too.  Was angry when the ravens got him, especially for a 5th. DeCosta is as savvy as they come.  I won’t clown on Beane for getting beaten to the punch by Baltimore. 

While Campbells trade price was low, Ngakoues was a 2nd and 5th (that could’ve been. 3rd if he made the pro bowl iirc) + having to pay him a boatload of cash to be a one trick pony.  I’m glad that we didn’t trade for ngakoue.  He was ineffective as a 4-3 end for the Vikings and got a bunch of sacks playing the rush OLB in the ravens blitz happy 3-4 scheme.  I noticed him one time when we faced them in the playoffs.  That’s why you add a guy like Ngakoue right?  He failed. 

Reader, I can’t pretend that I watched him play this year. Playing in 5 games before being placed on season ending IR doesn’t help his case.  He was a beast for Houston and I was mad that we passed on him in the draft.  That said, he’s not Chris Jones either.  6 sacks in 5 years.  He’s not the difference in beating the chiefs and his contract is 3 years minimum as it’s a 8 mill dead cap after year 2. 

I don’t see any value in ngakoue or reader, just salary cap hogs that do exactly what you’re complaining about.....hamstring us in signing other free agents while not being good enough to win the SB.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where do people come up with these statements?  Are you kidding?  Most of our AFC East champion and AFCCG team was built through the draft.  Find me a team that has had so many draft picks come in and turn the team around in the last 4 years than the Bills.  Just one.  

I mean first year we drafted guys like Tre, Dawkins and Milano...one draft.  Thats 3 studs.  

Not to mention following that up with Allen and Edmunds to go with Phillips, Taron, and Wyatt Teller in that draft (who has become a top end OL even though its not on our team anymore).

Then in 2019 we add Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox...all 4 of which are starting for this team.  

In 2020 we flipped a first round pick for Diggs, and added Moss, Davis, and Bass who all played big roles on this team this year as rookies, not to mention flashes from 7th Rond pick Dane Jackson and the potential still of AJ Espenesa.  

There is a reason Beane is a front runner for GM of the year, hes earned it by building a team through the draft mostly (last 3 drafts) and finding good values in FA to plug other holes and also having the guts to make a big trade for Diggs.  

If you think that draft history above is weak, well then I don't know what to tell you.  I promise you any team in the NFL would LOVVVVE that draft history result over the past 4 seasons.  

I think Beane is an okay drafter. 

He got Allen right, and that's the hardest in football to get. 

But many of our high picks - Edmunds, Oliver, Ford, Epenesa, Moss, Singletary have been ok and that's about it. 

We supplement a lot of this roster in FA. And now, we don't have nearly as much cap space as we did. 

You want to see a team that drafts well? Look at the Steelers first rounders from 2001 - now. Not just starters, largely top ranked players. The Ravens also draft well. 

I know the knee jerk reaction will be, but we got to the AFCCG so Beane is untouchable. I'm just saying if you take the emotion out of it, we are okay drafting, but not great. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problem with what Beane did last year in free agency on the D-Line given what was available.  They can’t all be winners and like some have said most/all of the D-Line contracts won’t kill you if you move on after a year.  I will have a problem if he doesn’t cut some of the fat this year and make a run at an elite pass rusher.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen was a top 3-4 QB this year and McD is a very good coach.... the reason they were in the AFC championship game. 

Well that’s why I said in my first post of this thread, that nobody expects 3rd and 4th Rounders to

dominate the league.

But should the bar be higher for Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa? 

Does either Singletary or Moss look like a full time starter?

Knox has the athleticism, but he looks like a player that was never depended on in his college offense. He looks like a #2 Tight End.

Davis and especially Bass look like

right decisions. 

But that’s why I think it’s a mixed bag of drafting combined with a lot of free agents to fill in the holes.

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

Bills could have radically improved the running game thru scheme, formation and play calling

- run at some draw plays to the backs 

-reverses

- stop telegraphing run plays by formations

-run out of spread sets & 4 Wide

all would have helped with no big change in personnel

I agree that some of it is scheming up better run plays - particularly fast developing plays that do not require a change in formation or personnel such as draws, counters, and counter traps.  

I also like misdirection plays using Allen - rolling away from the play action/handoff or those inside shovel passes to force teams to chose between keying on and containing Allen or playing the run. Mohomes uses those shovel passes and misdirection plays quite a bit - they work especially well for QBs with wheels.

It is also true that all those are more effective it we have better run blocking up front too.

I like that 2 by 2 set 11 personnel IF our TE can actually block too; Right now Knox blocking leave much to be desired. He has got to put as much into his blocking as he does into running routes and trying to catch. TE's are most effective if they have that dual capability. We beef up that interior of our o-line and prioritize our pass-catching TEs being able to block too, our run game will improve.

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly I wanted them to trade for Calais Campbell over signing Addison. Think he’s an overall better player and makes more of an impact defensively.

So here's some data for this season from Pro Football Reference.

Quick, which player is Campbell and which player is Addison?

image.thumb.png.2348730fb07ecc661dcff95938274add.png

Stats aren't everything but.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yes, but if KC takes away Brady's WR's, theoretically he still has reliable TE's and RB's to throw to.  

It was VERY evident that we had no other punches when KC took away our banged up WR group. 

Knox may be able to develop into that, but Singletary's inability to do anything before he was benched killed us early.  Brady has been using Fournette in the pass game a ton, and with big success.  We need to get Allen, at least, legitimate weaponry at RB.... and that doesn't mean we run the ball a ton with that back.  

Beane is covering his poor drafting of RB'S by saying he is not blaming them,  i would keep Moss but Singletary is too small and too slow for this league.  You're not going to juke our players in this league.  Time to draft a feature back with speed

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is the Bills were 12-0 when Milano played and 3-3 this year when he didn't.

Now a W or L is not all Milano, but that does argue for a close look under the hood before saying "the team did fine"

How did the Bills do covering TE'S this season?

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Beane's comments about Milano "earning the right to test the market" and that the Bills "would like to bring him back" sounds to me like they are planning on him not  being here next year.

It sounds like a GM who would love him back but is not going to break the bank to do it,  Milano is a good but not great player.  The last thing we need is to have a roster with guys who are not great or elite and getting paid huge bucks.  Has been to a pro bowl? No

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Says no big moves in FA due to salary cap restrictions which is obvious.....but they wouldn’t be as restricted if they didn’t over value and over pay some really average players in last years FA. 

They weren't made aware of the salary cap reduction until AFTER the season started.  Many teams are going to be in the same boat.

19 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane is covering his poor drafting of RB'S by saying he is not blaming them

Or, maybe he is realistic that run plays require blocking execution by the OL, TE, and WR and if that's not there, it's pointless to single out the backs?

Going to be interesting to see what we do with the OL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Beane isn't a bullshitter. I think you can read into some things if you really listen to him.

One thing that stuck out to me is how Beane said they had to be more effective running the ball and gave some reasons as to why a running game can work.

Later, he was asked about the interior of the o-line and Morse. He heaped praise on Morse but then said Morse isn't someone you can expect to push a defensive tackle a few yards down the field because he that is not his game.

Hmmmmmmm.

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Box score scouting at its finest...

Failure to acknowledge a point that maybe trading a draft pick for a guy who turned out to have about the same production (and missed games) than the FA we signed while substituting a dismissive crack, but that's kind of your SOP here. 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Beane isn't a bullshitter. I think you can read into some things if you really listen to him.

One thing that stuck out to me is how Beane said they had to be more effective running the ball and gave some reasons as to why a running game can work.

Later, he was asked about the interior of the o-line and Morse. He heaped praise on Morse but then said Morse isn't someone you can expect to push a defensive tackle a few yards down the field because he that is not his game.

Hmmmmmmm.

Say more about the "why a running game can work"?

What did he say about Feliciano?

55 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think Beane is an okay drafter. 

He got Allen right, and that's the hardest in football to get. 

But many of our high picks - Edmunds, Oliver, Ford, Epenesa, Moss, Singletary have been ok and that's about it. 

We supplement a lot of this roster in FA. And now, we don't have nearly as much cap space as we did. 

You want to see a team that drafts well? Look at the Steelers first rounders from 2001 - now. Not just starters, largely top ranked players. The Ravens also draft well. 

I know the knee jerk reaction will be, but we got to the AFCCG so Beane is untouchable. I'm just saying if you take the emotion out of it, we are okay drafting, but not great. 

You didn’t really address my points at all and just resorted to your blanket statements again.

Since you cited Steelers first rounds only, McBeane has had just 4 drafts (Beane specifically has had 3).

Well McD/Beane have parlayed 4 first round picks into:  

Tre White - (elite DB)

Josh Allen - (MVP finalist and Pro Bowler)

Tremaine Edmunds - (2 pro bowls in first 3 seasons)

Ed Oliver - (starting DT)

Stefon Diggs - (via trade, first team all pro and number 1 WR in rec and yards first year here).

You’re not impressed with the use of our first round picks during the McBeane era?  Sorry but someone would be crazy to dissatisfied with that and I can’t think of any organization that has had a better 4 year run in using their first round picks during Beane’s time here.

Tre was finalist for DPOY, Allen and Diggs put up MVP level seasons, Edmunds has made 2 pro bowls.  Oliver is only one who hasn’t truly broken out yet, but he still has a ton of upside but badly needs some more beef next to him before we know what his ceiling can be.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You didn’t really address my points at all and just resorted to your blanket statements again.

Since you cited Steelers first rounds only, McBeane has had just 4 drafts (Beane specifically has had 3).

Well McD/Beane have parlayed 4 first round picks into:  

Tre White - (elite DB)

Josh Allen - (MVP finalist and Pro Bowler)

Tremaine Edmunds - (2 pro bowls in first 3 seasons)

Ed Oliver - (starting DT)

Stefon Diggs - (via trade, first team all pro and number 1 WR in rec and yards first year here).

You’re not impressed with the use of our first round picks during the McBeane era?  Sorry but someone would be crazy to dissatisfied with that and I can’t think of any organization that has had a better 4 year run in using their first round picks during Beane’s time here.

Tre was finalist for DPOY, Allen and Diggs put up MVP level seasons, Edmunds has made 2 pro bowls.  Oliver is only one who hasn’t truly broken out yet, but he still has a ton of upside but badly needs some more beef next to him before we know what his ceiling can be.  

Yeah, judging Beane on draft picks without crediting him for Diggs is nuts.

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or, maybe he is realistic that run plays require blocking execution by the OL, TE, and WR and if that's not there, it's pointless to single out the backs?

Going to be interesting to see what we do with the OL.

I'm guessing they'd really like to see Ford earn his 2nd round selection. He was expected to help the run game.

• Agree 3