Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I still predict Milano is back on a 1 year deal. Not a lot of money in free agency this year. He'd be smart to re-sign and bet on himself.

That actually is a point.  The real sticking point for Beane with Milano is the injuries, I bet.  So if he has a good year but stays on the field all year, it would help.

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Who else on defense would you value more than Milano that should stay? I’d put Tre White, Poyer, and maybe Hyde as more important than Milano. Maybe Edmunds? Taron Johnson? Jerry is getting older and hardly ever gets home. None of the other guys on the dline are more important than Milano. Imagine this defense without Milano’s blitzing or coverage ability. Pay the guys that matter and fill in around them through the draft and cheap FAs. 

I would rather use the DL resources to sign other, more productive DL players. That is why I said "Maybe not the players we have on the DL right now, but as a unit."

The game is won and lost in the trenches, and a good DL makes your LBs and CBs better. We learned that the hard way this year.

We cant release a bunch of DL starters and shift those resources to one LB. The DL will be even worse than this year, and as the DL goes, so goes the rest of the D. Which means you are just wasting money on a high-priced LB who cant make plays because we have no DL.

That is also how Beane works it too. They have set values for positions and units, and will only spend so much. They will not, nor should they, rob Peter to pay Paul.

• Like (+1) 2

It's waaaay early in the off-season, but McD and Beane have some strategic roster management decisions to make this off-season.  As in, does this team really need to spend 52M or about 25% of total cap dollars on DLinemen? (not including Star's deal).  Those contracts may fit what the HC wants to do, but I question those expenditures compared to the value they provide in on-field results.  

I'm actually happy they aren't going to be active in UFA this off-season because it's clear McBeane aren't the best there, especially defensive signings.  And I think some of that is the HC's overwhelming desire to have his scheme that requires his type of players on defense. 

Go all-in on offense by improving the interior OL, developing a run game, and focus on improving the pass rush.  Easier said than done, yes.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Who else on defense would you value more than Milano that should stay? I’d put Tre White, Poyer, and maybe Hyde as more important than Milano. Maybe Edmunds? Taron Johnson? Jerry is getting older and hardly ever gets home. None of the other guys on the dline are more important than Milano. Imagine this defense without Milano’s blitzing or coverage ability. Pay the guys that matter and fill in around them through the draft and cheap FAs. 

It's not that simple. 

I'd rather not re-sign Milano AND cut Jefferson, Butler and Addison, thus allowing us to go after a pass rusher in Free Agency.  

Getting Star back, drafting a mid-round space eater and putting a legitimate pass rusher opposite Hughes next year is far more impactful than paying big money to not one, but two linebackers on a team who will have a QB commanding a ton of cap space soon.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my interpretation.  He used the Jordan Phillips conversation.

The thing is, for both Shaq Lawson and for Jordan Phillips as I recall the Bills offer was not that far off of what they eventually took, on a per-year basis.  The big sticking point seemed to be the length of the contract and the guaranteed $$. 

But to replace them, we wound up spending a lot of dollars to bring in a bunch of guys who arguably we did not get nearly as much production from.

I kind of had a sinking feeling when I heard that about Milano - that we might wind up spending more to bring in 2-3 JAGS who, added together, only kind of replace him

I mean, AJ Klein played well when he was in for Milano and only costs $6M/year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

AJ Klein only played well when we re-vamped the defense to let him NOT be in for Milano.

Now.  The Bills obviously need to think about what role their defensive scheme played in Sunday's massacre, and how to fix it.

But thinking that's the scheme they want and Klein can substitute for Milano is not accurate.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not that i'm saying he should be the replacement, but AJ Klein literally could not have played worse with Edmunds against KC than Milano did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

AJ Klein only played well when we re-vamped the defense to let him NOT be in for Milano.

Ok. Point is, the D and Team did fine with him and without Milano. Milano is replaceable.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now.  The Bills obviously need to think about what role their defensive scheme played in Sunday's massacre, and how to fix it.

But thinking that's the scheme they want and Klein can substitute for Milano is not accurate.

If thats the case, then I could argue the scheme was BETTER with Klein then the scheme they run with Milano.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Says no big moves in FA due to salary cap restrictions which is obvious.....but they wouldn’t be as restricted if they didn’t over value and over pay some really average players in last years FA. 

Like who?  Klein? Every other FA can be cut with little dead cap.  

keeping phillips and Shaq would’ve led to contracts that we would be stuck with.  We aren’t stuck with any of the FA’s except Klein.  If I’m wrong, please explain

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

It sometimes boils down to the player. 

Completely agree with this point. This is the biggest unknown and you can’t force anyone into a deal.  Admittedly, I’m making a lot of assumptions on my end. If it’s something where we are at $11MM per year and he’s at $20MM per year, then we were never likely to keep him. But if it’s where we think he’s $11-13MM and he’s at $14-16MM and both sides want to make a deal, and the only reason we say we can’t do it is because of the salary cap being less, I think that’s BS. We can make it work. As I’ve said in other posts, there’s only maybe 3 guys I value equal or more on this defense than Milano as far as impact on the field. 

I don’t want to watch a homegrown talent walk off, suddenly be healthy every year, and turn into a star for someone else. I could be wrong, but I can see that with Milano. 

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It's waaaay early in the off-season, but McD and Beane have some strategic roster management decisions to make this off-season.  As in, does this team really need to spend 52M or about 25% of total cap dollars on DLinemen? (not including Star's deal).  Those contracts may fit what the HC wants to do, but I question those expenditures compared to the value they provide in on-field results.  

I'm actually happy they aren't going to be active in UFA this off-season because it's clear McBeane aren't the best there, especially defensive signings.  And I think some of that is the HC's overwhelming desire to have his scheme that requires his type of players on defense. 

Go all-in on offense by improving the interior OL, developing a run game, and focus on improving the pass rush.  Easier said than done, yes.  

Agree with a lot of this.

To the bold, I almost think that' one task. If they Bills improve the interior OL the running game will be more efficient/effective. I don't want the Bills running more because I'd prefer the ball stayed in Joshs hand but if they ran more effectively when they did, it would help. 

Only thing I would add beyond the pass rush is I think they need another weapon in the pass game for Josh. And I'm thinking it needs to be TE.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I don’t want to watch a homegrown talent walk off, suddenly be healthy every year, and turn into a star for someone else. I could be wrong, but I can see that with Milano. 

You're just going to have to deal with that. If not with Milano, then it will be someone else. This is exactly what happens to good teams who draft well. They'll re-sign some/most guys, but you can't keep everyone. That is literally how the system is setup. It wants to create Free Agents.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
letters
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I still predict Milano is back on a 1 year deal. Not a lot of money in free agency this year. He'd be smart to re-sign and bet on himself. 

TE is going to be a priority but I don't see any fixes unless they trade up in the draft. 

This is going to be a really strange off season for sure. I really doubt anyone is going to back up the Brinks truck for a player like Matt this off season based on the Cap. If he had played all 16 games plus the Playoffs I have no doubt he'd cash in. But he's coming off a down year, mostly due to the injuries. Not ideal for his market value for sure... 

But we'll see...No doubt there will be a slew of one-year deals, especially after the top tier guys sign. 😎

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Moss is fine as our #2 back, but I really hope the Singletary comments are simply GM speak for a guy who's on the roster.   

We tried to get Le'Veon Bell during the season so I can't imagine Beane is truly thrilled with what he's seen, especially after Singletary's disaster of an AFCCG.

Our reported interest in pretty much every significant free agent RB does make me wonder. I hope we ultimately just sign a cheap RB this offseason that can catch the ball and call it a day personally.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

TE is going to be a priority but I don't see any fixes unless they trade up in the draft. 

Yeah, I mentioned it last year as well, but I think a trade for a vet TE makes the most sense for us and I would continue to look to the Bucs, who have two TEs on their roster for next year that would be upgrades over Knox and they'll likely try to keep Gronk as well.

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

Are they trying to convert Epenesa to LB or something.  He doesn’t look like a DE when I see him out there. Looks too small.

No...They still want him at DE. Just sounds like he went a little overboard on the weight cut and had problems putting any back on. I think a lot of it had to do with the strange off season. I think if it's a regular off season and he's in the facility every day, their plan for his weight would have been better managed. 😎

• Like (+1) 1