Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s going to be very hard for Buffalo to sign any of their own guys unless they release a slew of players like Brown, Butler, Addison, Jefferson, maybe even Morse and restructure Diggs again to lesson his hit in 2021.  Very challenging off season coming up for Beane.  FYI Spotrac has Buffalo projected at -5 million cap space right now but that could change once the official number comes out.  

-$8M, but they are using the $175M number. Actual cap may come in around $180M. Fingers crossed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not at $14M/year for Milano. He isnt that good. He's the best of what we have now, but that's not saying much. For a coverage LB, TEs kill us. And he's still a liability in open-field tackling.

Milano will hit the market, and some team will prob over pay for him. I'd trigger Edmunds 5th year option, but he needs to improve big time in order to get that 2nd contract.

Draft Milano's replacement this year, look to draft Edmunds replacement next year.

I’m not sure a team will overpay. His value is somewhat scheme specific, and the lower cap this year could impact things as well for teams “overpaying”. He should get a nice payday for a former 5th round pick but not sure he will be paid outside the market value like say CJ mosely a few years ago 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not at $14M/year for Milano. He isnt that good. He's the best of what we have now, but that's not saying much. For a coverage LB, TEs kill us. And he's still a liability in open-field tackling.

Milano will hit the market, and some team will prob over pay for him. I'd trigger Edmunds 5th year option, but he needs to improve big time in order to get that 2nd contract.

Draft Milano's replacement this year, look to draft Edmunds replacement next year.

How do we know he wants $14MM? Why can’t we cut the scrubs on the dline to make it work or structure a deal around this year’s salary cap constraints. I’m happy to eat crow on this if I’m wrong, but I’m telling you if we let him walk, he’ll go be a big time player for someone else. We’ve been fed the line “draft well and retain our own” by this management team. Time to put their money where their mouth is. Pay him. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure a team will overpay. His value is somewhat scheme specific, and the lower cap this year could impact things as well for teams “overpaying”. He should get a nice payday for a former 5th round pick but not sure he will be paid outside the market value like say CJ mosely a few years ago 

Again, fingers crossed.

I could see Indy do it tho. They have a ton of space, and I believe he fits there.

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

How do we know he wants $14MM? Why can’t we cut the scrubs on the dline to make it work or structure a deal around this year’s salary cap constraints. I’m happy to eat crow on this if I’m wrong, but I’m telling you if we let him walk, he’ll go be a big time player for someone else. We’ve been fed the line “draft well and retain our own” by this management team. Time to put their money where their mouth is. Pay him. 

Why would he want anything less than his market value?

I dont want to take resources away from the DL and shift them to one LB. DL is far more important. Maybe not the players we have on the DL right now, but as a unit.

And yeah, "draft and pay your own". We've done that. White re-signed, Dawkins re-signed, Allen will get a big deal this offseason. BUT... it takes two to tango and from what Beane says, Milano wants to test the market. AND even if you draft well, you will never be able to re-sign everyone. That is impossible. We are re-signing the guys we can, and who want to be here. It's not all on the Bills.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I wonder if we are really talking about a traditional statistics based run/pass offense balance or if we we're really

talking about balanced use of weapons? Recently, I took a look at the final four teams and get this breakdown (% of yards from scrimmage by position):

Breakdown is QB-RB-TE-WR (%)

TB 0-32-17-50

GB 2-41-13-44

BUF 7-26-7-60

KC 5-28-22-45

As you can see, BUF is a wide receiver oriented offense (60%) way above the others. Our TEs and RBs are much less productive. You think Spags said, their receivers are banged up, double Diggs and let the others (TE,RB) beat us and if they can more power to them? But, I doubt they can! I know what my preference would be as a coach.

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Keeping milano over Edmunds isn’t really an option though. The only way milano stays imo is if his market is ice cold. It only takes one and we see every year in free agency someone throw crazy money around. 
I could see Jacksonville or Indy tossing Milano a big payday 

I hear you. I’m not trying to be a PITA on this, but we need to make it work with Milano. Why draft his replacement when we already drafted and developed a guy? We struck gold in the 5th round on him. Seattle kept Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright all these years along with paying Russ a ton of $. No reason we can’t make it work. There is plenty of fat that can be cut on this roster to accommodate. 

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

My takeaways:

Bills will upgrade the DL (but like Ed Oliver) I think we all expect them to do this, they gambled by bringing in some new guys and it didn't work out. They should like Ed Oliver, he played good this year.

Bills still believe in Tremaine Edmunds (UGH) don’t expect a change. They are not giving up on Edmunds. He's only 22, and he's shown improvements. Is he playing out of position? Probably.

Matt Milano is probably gone (said the same thing about Shaq) Wouldn't surprise me. You can't keep everyone.

John Brown is probably gone  This is probably true. Numbers victim. Emergence of Davis and Hodgins waiting in the wings and improved play of McKenzie.

Don’t look for any crazy additions at CB or in the secondary. Not expecting any. This will be an in-house move. Dane Jackson gets more opportunities and maybe E.J. Gaines adds something?

Expect a new TE Kyle Pitts!? :)

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He said he thought the D Line struggled early but came together towards the end of the year and started playing a lot better. Gave credit to the DLine coach.

Sounded to me like he wanted to give them more time together. Maybe I'm wrong. 

I'd be shocked.  Just like I think the Singletary comments were GM speak, so do I with this...

We already have an insanely overpaid DL for their middle of the pack production.  He knows this.  Now add Star's salary into the mix on top of that.  

We will have no money to do anything, including re-signing guys, if we don't cut some of our Defensive Linemen.  All of whom have outs written into their contracts this year for a reason...or so I hope. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I still predict Milano is back on a 1 year deal. Not a lot of money in free agency this year. He'd be smart to re-sign and bet on himself. 

TE is going to be a priority but I don't see any fixes unless they trade up in the draft. 

Pitts from Florida, likely gone by our pick, would be like adding Waller to the Bills.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Beane and the Bills put a maximum dollar value on players like Milano.  IMO he knows that his value will probably exceed that number.  He’s hoping he’ll take less but likely knows he gone

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Moss is fine as our #2 back, but I really hope the Singletary comments are simply GM speak for a guy who's on the roster.  

We tried to get Le'Veon Bell during the season so I can't imagine Beane is truly thrilled with what he's seen, especially after Singletary's disaster of an AFCCG.

I think his wording is important.  It was something like "I think it's unfair to SINGLE OUT the backs for the problems in the run game" (emphasis mine)

I don't think he's saying the backs weren't part of the problem.  He's just saying the problem wouldn't be fixed by "ditch these guys, get better backs"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Again, fingers crossed.

I could see Indy do it tho. They have a ton of space, and I believe he fits there.

Why would he want anything less than his market value?

I dont want to take resources away from the DL and shift them to one LB. DL is far more important. Maybe not the players we have on the DL right now, but as a unit.

And yeah, "draft and pay your own". We've done that. White re-signed, Dawkins re-signed, Allen will get a big deal this offseason. BUT... it takes two to tango and from what Beane says, Milano wants to test the market. AND even if you draft well, you will never be able to re-sign everyone. That is impossible. We are re-signing the guys we can, and who want to be here. It's not all on the Bills.

Who else on defense would you value more than Milano that should stay? I’d put Tre White, Poyer, and maybe Hyde as more important than Milano. Maybe Edmunds? Taron Johnson? Jerry is getting older and hardly ever gets home. None of the other guys on the dline are more important than Milano. Imagine this defense without Milano’s blitzing or coverage ability. Pay the guys that matter and fill in around them through the draft and cheap FAs. 

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I think Beane and the Bills put a maximum dollar value on players like Milano.  IMO he knows that his value will probably exceed that number.  He’s hoping he’ll take less but likely knows he gone

That was my interpretation.  He used the Jordan Phillips conversation.

The thing is, for both Shaq Lawson and for Jordan Phillips as I recall the Bills offer was not that far off of what they eventually took, on a per-year basis.  The big sticking point seemed to be the length of the contract and the guaranteed $$. 

But to replace them, we wound up spending a lot of dollars to bring in a bunch of guys who arguably we did not get nearly as much production from.

I kind of had a sinking feeling when I heard that about Milano - that we might wind up spending more to bring in 2-3 JAGS who, added together, only kind of replace him

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s going to be very hard for Buffalo to sign any of their own guys unless they release a slew of players like Brown, Butler, Addison, Jefferson, maybe even Morse and restructure Diggs again to lesson his hit in 2021.  Very challenging off season coming up for Beane.  FYI Spotrac has Buffalo projected at -5 million cap space right now but that could change once the official number comes out.  

I agree that it’ll be challenging with the guys you mentioned. It’s tough to maintain when you have success. Of that list, I think Milano is more important than everyone but Diggs. I prioritize keeping Milano over all those other guys. 

6 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I hear you. I’m not trying to be a PITA on this, but we need to make it work with Milano. Why draft his replacement when we already drafted and developed a guy? We struck gold in the 5th round on him. Seattle kept Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright all these years along with paying Russ a ton of $. No reason we can’t make it work. There is plenty of fat that can be cut on this roster to accommodate. 

It sometimes boils down to the player. 
Since day one Beane has put a value on a player and for the most part won’t go above that. 
He has a value for milano and is willing to let him test the market to see if anyone wants to pay more. He’s a good player. He’s not elite. Given the cap problems in the league I would guess most teams will only be offering deals to elite level players. And, losing him sucks for fans but may be a blessing in disguise if it causes them to change up the style of defense.