Brandon Beane end of season press conference 1/27 11am

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think most people mean 'balanced' in that opposing defenses have to defend against the run and can't simply know the Bills aren't going to do it and if they do it's going to pointless

Here's a question, does running the ball more "balanced" beat the Chiefs? Or does getting Josh another weapon in the passing game do that? 

No doubt the Bills need to run the ball more effectively when they do run. Is that up front with the OL? Or is it the scheme?

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Again he reiterates support for the defensive line and RBs.... don’t see many moves happening there unfortunately. He’s mismanaged the cap on the defensive line badly, IMO.

Has he?  They can easily get out of all of those contracts this offseason except Star’s, and that’s only because Star opted out.

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And there's your winning answer. KC literally ignored our RB's all night and dropped 7 in coverage. Those that want JA to keep chucking it 90% are delusional. 

That's not accurate. KC blitzed Allen relentlessly throughout the game. They basically had 5 sacks (the intentional grounding counts as a sack for me), and they were all HUGE losses - 5 takedowns for 69 yards, which is basically a 14-yard loss every sack. The intentional grounding was a 16-yard loss.

Edited by dave mcbride

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This would be a HUGE mistake to not bring Milano back. He’s a difference maker on defense. Yes, he’s been banged up some, but he’s proven a difference maker when he’s on the field. If they don’t get rid of all these non-impact JAGs at over-inflated salaries on the Dline to keep Milano, they are making a mistake and he’ll go star elsewhere. 

Unpopular opinion: I’d prefer to keep Milano  over Tremaine. I don’t dislike Tremaine like some others on here, but Milano is far more instinctive, is a difference maker, and is typically around the ball. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

This would be a HUGE mistake to not bring Milano back. He’s a difference maker on defense. Yes, he’s been banged up some, but he’s proven a difference maker when he’s on the field. If they don’t get rid of all these non-impact JAGs at over-inflated salaries on the Dline to keep Milano, they are making a mistake and he’ll go star elsewhere. 

Unpopular opinion: I’d prefer to keep Milano  over Tremaine. I don’t dislike Tremaine like some others on here, but Milano is far more instinctive, is a difference maker, and is typically around the ball. 

I like Milano, but his injury history is a concern.

Can't give him top money.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheProcess said:

Not at $14M/year for Milano. He isnt that good. He's the best of what we have now, but that's not saying much. For a coverage LB, TEs kill us. And he's still a liability in open-field tackling.

Milano will hit the market, and some team will prob over pay for him. I'd trigger Edmunds 5th year option, but he needs to improve big time in order to get that 2nd contract.

Draft Milano's replacement this year, look to draft Edmunds replacement next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Keeping milano over Edmunds isn’t really an option though. The only way milano stays imo is if his market is ice cold. It only takes one and we see every year in free agency someone throw crazy money around. 
I could see Jacksonville or Indy tossing Milano a big payday 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Why are people so obsessed with having a more balanced offense? Do you want to take the ball out of Josh’s hands after he had an MVP caliber season and helped us be a top scoring offense?

I don’t want to run it a lot more, just be better when we do. This offense is about throwing the ball.

I don’t disagree with you necessarily, but want to add that an effective rushing attack would also open things up for Josh even more, and improve the Bills’ play action game, which imho was often just window dressing that the coverage didn’t really have to respect (might as well just have snapped from shotgun every single down). Can you imagine Josh with even more pocket time at his disposal??

We are a team that has play makers on offense and a great secondary. We can not control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. Sure, our pass blocking looks great at times. Allegedly our pass rush is good, even though the sack numbers aren't there.

But when teams come out and hit us in the mouth, we fold. When we need to control the tempo of a game, we can't.

I'll never be sold on Edmunds being the physical, smart game changer this defense needs in the middle. Ed is constantly double teamed because we went into the season without a 1 tech and never addressed the need. Last year they had the line fixed after it got abused the beginning half of the season. Then they let both Phillips and Taylor walk. Went out and paid a fortune for more Panthers players that under delivered.

Beane needs to re evaluate his pro scouting department and get into McDermott's ear a little bit. Tired of the cronyism. We need the best player possible at every position. Not the guy you knew from your old job. And now he's talking about being up against the cap? Shouldn't be with the talent level on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

It’s going to be very hard for Buffalo to sign any of their own guys unless they release a slew of players like Brown, Butler, Addison, Jefferson, maybe even Morse and restructure Diggs again to lesson his hit in 2021.  Very challenging off season coming up for Beane.  FYI Spotrac has Buffalo projected at -5 million cap space right now but that could change once the official number comes out.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Again he reiterates support for the defensive line and RBs.... don’t see many moves happening there unfortunately. He’s mismanaged the cap on the defensive line badly, IMO.

Maybe he has....but don't take his word for it....what GM's say in front of camera's does not always line up with what they do down the road. 

Being a GM in the NFL means you will get it wrong a fair amount of time, those who get it right more often go deep in the playoffs.  I live in NE and they all complain about how bad a GM and drafter Belichick is....yet he has won 6 SB's and went to 9.  Here they say they mismanage the WR position

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I like Milano, but his injury history is a concern.

Can't give him top money.

I don’t think he needs to be highest paid at his position to come to an agreement. I also have some concern with injuries, but sometimes they just happen. Eric Wood was one of those guys. We stuck with him and he turned into a pretty damn good player. Milano may never have another injury that forces him to miss time. We should reward our own that we drafted and developed. Not Mario Addison or Vernon Butler. Cut them and give that money to Milano. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ScottLaw said:

He said he thought the D Line struggled early but came together towards the end of the year and started playing a lot better. Gave credit to the DLine coach.

Sounded to me like he wanted to give them more time together. Maybe I'm wrong. 

He misevaluates their talent for sure but he didn’t screw the cap up - they’re on very team-friendly deals, if he wants to let them walk and try again he can do that fairly easily.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My takeaways:

Bills will upgrade the DL (but like Ed Oliver)

Bills still believe in Tremaine Edmunds (UGH) don’t expect a change.

Matt Milano is probably gone (said the same thing about Shaq)

John Brown is probably gone 

Don’t look for any crazy additions at CB or in the secondary.

Expect a new TE

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1