Simms breakdown of the game

I hadn’t seen this posted yet, but if it has, apologies. The basic takeaway: Simms sounds like us, and his recommendation — that the Bills need more Jimmies and Joes — makes a ton of sense. Specifically, he says they need one more top-level pass catching threat, an elite d-lineman that teams have to worry about, and another good cover corner.  That all makes sense to me (I’ve been thinking for a while that they need an upgrade at the other corner spot). 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I hadn’t seen this posted yet, but if it has, apologies. The basic takeaway: Simms sounds like us, and his recommendation — that the Bills need more Jimmies and Joes — makes a ton of sense. Specifically, he says they need one more top-level pass catching threat, an elite d-lineman that teams have to worry about, and another good cover corner.  That all makes sense to me (I’ve been thinking for a while that they need an upgrade at the other corner spot). 

I think they need the ability to play man coverage more effectively.  Cover 2 and cover 4 work when you can tackle before the sticks, or break up passes near/at the sticks.  You're really just looking to stop the run and get that 1 3rd down stop.  But KC is fast as hell, so while respecting that speed you end up gifting the sticks anyway.  Then in man you're forced to double hill, and forcing you to man up with kelce.  They'll also scheme hill open and attack you in other ways.  It's a tough proposition.  

• Like (+1) 6

Put it another way - KC has accumulated so much talent that Beane and McD might need to rethink their approach.  It’s not going to be good enough to field a team with a great QB and 21 other guys who play well within the system.  It just won’t work - KC won’t make enough unforced errors, and their sheer talent will win out most times.  The Bills need to ramp up their speed and aggression, and create more mismatches, if they want to dethrone KC.

• Like (+1) 13

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Put it another way - KC has accumulated so much talent that Beane and McD might need to rethink their approach.  It’s not going to be good enough to field a team with a great QB and 21 other guys who play well within the system.  It just won’t work - KC won’t make enough unforced errors, and their sheer talent will win out most times.  The Bills need to ramp up their speed and aggression, and create more mismatches, if they want to dethrone KC.

McDermott basically acknowledged as much in his press conference, citing with emphasis KC's team speed. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

A lot of people are wanting another Thurman. While that would be DOPE, how about another Bruce Smith, or Daryl Talley? 

A dynamic pass catching running back like Thurman or Tomlinson would be perfect. I'm still holding out hope Knox will be better. 

They need an edge player like TJ Watt to disrupt plays winning one on one battles.

And they need a new center. Morse barely holds up in the pass game and does next to nothing in run game. He was a healthy scratch for a reason. They wanted to see if Feliciano could play Center. They will cut Morse bring back Feliciano to play center for a year, draft a true center and play Ford at Guard.

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think they need the ability to play man coverage more effectively.  Cover 2 and cover 4 work when you can tackle before the sticks, or break up passes near/at the sticks.  You're really just looking to stop the run and get that 1 3rd down stop.  But KC is fast as hell, so while respecting that speed you end up gifting the sticks anyway.  Then in man you're forced to double hill, and forcing you to man up with kelce.  They'll also scheme hill open and attack you in other ways.  It's a tough proposition.  

I don't think they are going to abandon their scheme. I think they need to try and work in some wrinkles. I went back and watched the Pats play the Chiefs earlier in the season last night and they played a lot of 8 man coverage with man / zone combinations. Now admittedly the Pats are a bit more of a multiple coverage team than the Bills in the sense they mix man and zone as part of their standard coverage packages in any event. But I think that is a potential wrinkle for the Bills. A bit more combination coverage that plays zone but mans up the corners on the outside. They need a better #2 corner to make that an option because even though I'm not talking about leaving them on a island it does require better 1 on 1 skills than Levi Wallace possesses. It is those sorts of wrinkles that I think they need to look at schematically and then they just need more speed on defense. More Jimmys and Joes. Because we were just outplayed by better talent on Sunday as much as anything. They need edge rush desperately, nobody beats the Chiefs without it so it seems. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.... Their allocation of cap space last offseason was badly managed. Outside of the Diggs trade.....Butler, Addison, Jefferson, Klein are not impact players. They are borderline solid players but nothing spectacular and this team needs more stars. Specifically on the defensive line and another skill player offensively, IMO. 

This seems correct, and it also seems that they now know it. Last year they realized we need WR1, and we got Diggs. This offseason I fully expect them to redo Dline and do their best to get a gamechanger.

Problem is that there are so few of them.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't have time to give this a listen right now, but does Simms say anything about our run game?  Previously he has commented to the effect that we need more there.  McDermott was unusually forthcoming in his postgame presser:

I can start off saying we've got to be able to run the football better."

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This seems correct, and it also seems that they now know it. Last year they realized we need WR1, and we got Diggs. This offseason I fully expect them to redo Dline and do their best to get a gamechanger.

Right I see people saying we need a t.j watt everyone needs a watt lol 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.... Their allocation of cap space last offseason was badly managed. Outside of the Diggs trade.....Butler, Addison, Jefferson, Klein are not impact players. They are borderline solid players but nothing spectacular and this team needs more stars. Specifically on the defensive line and another skill player offensively, IMO. 

Couldn't agree more.  What a horrible roster Beane and McDermott put together this year.

They only made it to the AFC Championship game.  

Amateurs....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Couldn't agree more.  What a horrible roster Beane and McDermott put together this year.

Amateurs....

Look at our cap allocation compared to KC's. They pay several stars a ton of money and pretty much everyone else less than $2M. The Bills, on the other hand, are paying TONS of average players up to $10M.

Beane is heavily praised, but his drafting outside of Allen hasn't been good. And last year's FA was terrible, although he did structure the contracts in such a way that they can be cut for the most part.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Look at our cap allocation compared to KC's. They pay several stars a ton of money and pretty much everyone else less than $2M. The Bills, on the other hand, are paying TONS of average players up to $10M.

Amateurs....

• Haha (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

If there was ever a year to try and find gamechangers, this is it.  The cap situation will make some guys available who would normally never hit FA.  

See us with Matt Milano.  Some teams will look at him as a guy who wouldn't normally be available in FA.

We can create a good bit of cap space by cutting Butler, Jefferson, Addison and Brown, then restructuring a couple guys.  

IMO, Darryl Williams is the only must re-sign.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Amateurs....

We had a great year, but as McDermott noted in his presser, every year is a new opportunity with new challenges. The sort of allocation priorities indicated in the posts you are disagreeing with are genuine issues. I believe McDermott recognizes them and that they will be addressed.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There was to a point a bit of necessity in that we were not established enough to get guys to come on more modest contracts meaning we had to pay them cause there wasn't a great chance to win. I feel like now that we have a qb that can hang with anyone we will become a more desirable destination for guys chasing a chance at a championship. The window is wide open now and its up to Beane and McDermott to be smart and get creative enough to bring the championship home. I know everyone wants sustained success however i feel we need to get that one championship even if it means 4-5 years down the road we gotta do a 1 year cap reset.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2