Chiefs 19m Over Salary Cap in 2021

JMF2006

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think Niang went about where he should have done but obviously he opted out. They also signed Yasir Durant as an UDFA too who I thought was draftable so they definitely have some developmental options but they are both right tackle types to me rather than guys who can play the blindside. 

Bills fans tend to have a bit of an issue with the salary cap and it is because when you have been bad for as long as we had you equate salary cap space with hope and so it is seen as a positive thing. But salary cap space can be a negative if it means you do not have top end talent that needs paying. KC's window is easily open for at least the next 4 years as a minimum because they have elite talent under contract. They don't need to sign free agents at key positions. They have guys there already. They just need to continue to draft well. Tackle and corner are the two spots to me. Neither is yet a weakness glaring enough to sink the team but both are areas that can be upgraded. 

I couldn't have put this better if I tried.  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

All their money is tied up in 9-10 players who are the best at their position.  They can re-structure 3 or 4 of them and get under the cap.  As long as they have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, jones, Matthieu and Clark, they are super bowl favorites.  And players will take less to be there now that they’re super bowl favorites every year.  

I feel like this is less so in football.  Maybe players like bell?  Where they were released late, and no one really wants to pony up.  But no one is lining up at KC's door to make the league minimum to get a ring - this isn't basketball.  You can and likely will suffer significant injuries, make that money!

38 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

You mean guys like our 7th round or UDFA interior line?

Or guys like Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Clyde Edwards Hellaire, L'Jarious Sneed, Willie Gay, Jaun Thornhill, Rashad Fenton, or Tershawn Wharton?  (that's 8 starters all drafted by KC (Hardman will 'start' next season) or UDFA...all back next year)

KC has drafted well besides already having a rock solid core.  

I'm not trying to be boastful here....I am saying that KC's roster isn't about to implode due to the cap.

Right - you lose watkins and robinson (who aren't playing) and replace them with hardman, who is.  Got 8 more picks this year.  They likely continue to get a little younger along the offensive line.  Breelands gone and corners are expensive so I could see them going there in the 1st.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I feel like this is less so in football.  Maybe players like bell?  Where they were released late, and no one really wants to pony up.  But no one is lining up at KC's door to make the league minimum to get a ring - this isn't basketball.  You can and likely will suffer significant injuries, make that money!

not talking about guys at the upper end of the food chain.  KC doesn’t need those for the next couple years.  Yes, I’m talking about guys like Bell who are looking to resurrect their careers and go to KC on a 1 year deal in the hopes they can get a bigger deal somewhere else the following year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

not talking about guys at the upper end of the food chain.  KC doesn’t need those for the next couple years.  Yes, I’m talking about guys like Bell who are looking to resurrect their careers and go to KC on a 1 year deal in the hopes they can get a bigger deal somewhere else the following year.  

Even then I think you're looking at players who aren't getting any interest at the value they think.  This year will be screwy anyway with a lower cap.  A lot of paycuts coming. 

@Zerovoltz Aren't you missing Flank Clark in your first post? He is also under contract.

Anyway, whoever thinks that Chiefs will have cap space problem in coming years are just fooling themselves. As said by Zero and Gunner above they have some top paid players and will fill other spots by rookies, cheap veterans and JAGs. 

Surely, once Mahomes big money really kicks in (which happens in 2023) they might start to be tight, but there is always a way. Maybe eventually it will catch them like it happened to Saints this year, but by that time they can have quite a lot rings in their pockets.

We need to find a way to beat them on the field :)

• Agree 1

CB is the deepest position group on the team.  There’s next to zero chance they go corner in the first, particularly because it’s unlikely there will be any value there where the Chiefs are drafting.  First round pick will likely be WR, Edge Rusher, or T.  The team is currently loaded at the position, and they invested next to nothing to acquire any of them.

32 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Oh God no....NOBODY would accuse you of that!  I mean we all regularly go to other teams' boards to explain to them why our team is better.  It's super normal.

Zerevolt visiting our board days after the Chiefs game is over reminds me of that guy in a zombie movie that gets bit, but doesn't tell anyone - just kind of has a look on his face like he has to poop.  I think he wishes he was a Bills fan, maybe there's something the mafia brings that he's missing in his Chief's fandom and life

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

CB is the deepest position group on the team.  There’s next to zero chance they go corner in the first, particularly because it’s unlikely there will be any value there where the Chiefs are drafting.  First round pick will likely be WR, Edge Rusher, or T.  The team is currently loaded at the position, and they invested next to nothing to acquire any of them.

I don't think they are as good at corner as you do... they have a good young slot corner and Fenton who has played fine but isn't a guy I'd want as my #1 outside corner. However, I do agree with you it is very unlikely value matches that need at #31 or #32. If their first pick is corner they have traded out of the first IMO. Tackle much more likely at their spot. 

9 minutes ago, Billzfan37 said:

Zerevolt visiting our board days after the Chiefs game is over reminds me of that guy in a zombie movie that gets bit, but doesn't tell anyone - just kind of has a look on his face like he has to poop.  I think he wishes he was a Bills fan, maybe there's something the mafia brings that he's missing in his Chief's fandom and life

I AM a Bills fan.  They are my 2nd favorite team.  I've been rooting for the Bills all year.  I was a Josh Allen hater that's been converted into a Josh Allen fan....If you had won the game sunday, I'd be chearing on the Bills to win it all.  I'll be cheering for you all again next year, except when you play KC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I AM a Bills fan.  They are my 2nd favorite team.  I've been rooting for the Bills all year.  I was a Josh Allen hater that's been converted into a Josh Allen fan....If you had won the game sunday, I'd be chearing on the Bills to win it all.  I'll be cheering for you all again next year, except when you play KC.

I believe you.  And I'm pulling for you guys as well.  Mostly because I don't want Brady to get another SB win and I'd rather the Bills were beat by the SB champs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

That's cool - I'm a Chiefs fan, grew up in southern Missouri and even though I live near Boston, MA now - all of my family back home are rabid Chiefs fans... They are all sympathetic to the Bills plight having been so close but not quite to the promised land for so long themselves.  Man, Mahomes is an amazing talent - how he wasn't the #1 overall pick escapes me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

KC will have zero problems getting under the cap

The first thing the Chiefs will do is convert Mahomes  money in a roster bonus to a signing bonus, which the team could then spread out over five years against the salary cap. that saves $17 mil.

they could do similar with Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and Tyreek Hill....potential savings $30 mil

they could part ways with OT eric fisher...potential savings $11 mil

they could part ways with LB Anthony Hitchens ...savings $6 mil

they could part ways with OL Alex Okafor....savings $6 mil

they could extend contracts with a few others and sav cap in 2021

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is cool. I am actually a Chiefs and Mahomes fan too, ever that 54-51 Rams game. I had never seen a young QB play like that, Mahomes is already like Brady got in 2007. Last year I was pulling for them against the 9ers. It's good to see it can go both ways.

That said it's tougher for me to think well about the Chiefs right now because the game hurt pretty bad. But I think you'll romp in the SB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of teams are "over the cap" next year. That's mostly a temporary issue, and pretty widespread.

Saints are $100M+ over cap.

The BILLS are $8M over cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

33 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Anyway, when will we find out what the salary cap for next season is?

I googled and still have no idea.

I find it weird that it is end of January, FA starts in month and half or so and we still have no idea what the cap will be.

We know it wont be any lower than $175M. I've seen $180M talked about recently, but no one is really sure yet. This article is pretty optimistic that it could be as high as $195M

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/optimism-emerges-regarding-2021-salary-cap/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1