Chiefs 19m Over Salary Cap in 2021

JMF2006

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

With only 40 players under contract and thats with this years cap number of 200m

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

Their dynasty looks to be very short lived :)

It won't be.

Under contract for 2021 already:

Mahomes

Honey Badger

Hill

Kelce

Edwards-Hellaire

Hardman

Thornhill

Sneed

Chris Jones

Others.

That's the core.  We will work in other young guys and JAGS around that group...like we already do.

You might say...but they only have 40 guys under contract now, AND they still have to shed 18 million in money just to get to even...and THEN they need to free up even more money to sign rookies and vets to get to 53.  

All true.

And all easily done by converting salary to bonus money, then pro rating that out to future years and kicking the can on down the road.  If you believe the cap will grow again, this isn't a problem at all....

• Like (+1) 6

All their money is tied up in 9-10 players who are the best at their position.  They can re-structure 3 or 4 of them and get under the cap.  As long as they have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, jones, Matthieu and Clark, they are super bowl favorites.  And players will take less to be there now that they’re super bowl favorites every year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

All their money is tied up in 9-10 players who are the best at their position.  They can re-structure 3 or 4 of them and get under the cap.  As long as they have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, jones, Matthieu and Clark, they are super bowl favorites.  And players will take less to be there now that they’re super bowl favorites every year.  

To the media.. sure, but not to smart money in vegas. They'll be up there no doubt, but I don't think they win a superbowl for at least the next 3 years, when the Mahommes deal is more palletable assuming some cap increases after covid. That deal will work out great for KC.. I hope Allen does something similar.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It will take more than those players to keep the juggernaut rolling.  Now this isn't to say they still won't be a good team and they'll still be SB favorites I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It will take more than just those players to keep the juggernaut rolling.

You mean guys like our 7th round or UDFA interior line?

Or guys like Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Clyde Edwards Hellaire, L'Jarious Sneed, Willie Gay, Jaun Thornhill, Rashad Fenton, or Tershawn Wharton?  (that's 8 starters all drafted by KC (Hardman will 'start' next season) or UDFA...all back next year)

KC has drafted well besides already having a rock solid core.  

I'm not trying to be boastful here....I am saying that KC's roster isn't about to implode due to the cap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

You mean guys like our 7th round or UDFA interior line?

Or guys like Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Clyde Edwards Hellaire, L'Jarious Sneed, Willie Gay, Jaun Thornhill, Rashad Fenton, or Tershawn Wharton?  (that's 8 starters all drafted by KC (Hardman will 'start' next season) or UDFA...all back next year)

KC has drafted well besides already having a rock solid core.  

I'm not trying to be boastful here....I am saying that KC's roster isn't about to implode due to the cap.

Yep. Nick Allegretti and Mike Danna were two guys I talked about as sleepers on this site in their respective draft years. Not at all surprised by their success. 

• Like (+1) 2

Only 19 mil, with that massive Mahomes contract I thought they would be a lot higher over the cap. QB’s are just taking more and more cap space, something will have to give. Soon QB’s will be taking up as much as 35 to 40 % of cap space and you will probably have a ton of no name defenses to get under the cap. 

I should add offensive tackle is the spot there I think KC might have a bit of an issue coming up. I have never been a huge Eric Fisher guy and Schwartz has been hurt. That is a position I could definitely see them draft early in 2021 and they kind of need that pick to work out. I still think as well as Sneed and Fenton have played as rookies they can improve at corner too. Sneed is, I think, a very good slot but they should still look for upgrades outside. Breeland has had pretty much a career year this year but there is a strong chance he reverts to type IMO and I wouldn't want to be relying on him longer term. It isn't a "hole" so much as a spot that they can still upgrade.... though this one is not the best corner draft ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Oh God no....NOBODY would accuse you of that!  I mean we all regularly go to other teams' boards to explain to them why our team is better.  It's super normal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8

The big cap hits for Mahomes don't really come in until 2023.  he's only 24 mil next year...and 31 in 2022.  Hits 42 mil in 2023.  

Mahomes was only just over 5 mil this season.

On the other hand though.....for example....Ryan Tannehill

2020 - 22 mil

2021 - 29 mil

2022 - 34 mil

2023 - 32 mil

Mahomes doesn't surpass Ryan Tannehill's cap number for 2 more years.....that is what KC is working with right now.  We aren't going away anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I should add offensive tackle is the spot there I think KC might have a bit of an issue coming up. I have never been a huge Eric Fisher guy and Schwartz has been hurt. That is a position I could definitely see them draft early in 2021 and they kind of need that pick to work out. I still think as well as Sneed and Fenton have played as rookies they can improve at corner too. Sneed is, I think, a very good slot but they should still look for upgrades outside. Breeland has had pretty much a career year this year but there is a strong chance he reverts to type IMO and I wouldn't want to be relying on him longer term. It isn't a "hole" so much as a spot that they can still upgrade.... though this one is not the best corner draft ever. 

I don't disagree with you....Breeland is a UFA.  They can't afford him again unless he signs another cheap 1 year deal like he did this year to "win".  I don't see that happening again....he's played really well and he's going to get paid.

KC knows they'll have a hole at corner.  Charvariou Ward is also a FA.  They did sign 2019 Giants first round CB De'Andre Baker this year as a reclamation project....he promptly broke his leg when he got on the field.  

Last year, KC Drafted Lucas Niang..OT TCU in the 3rd round....alot of 1st round grades on that guy coming out of school, but he has a chronic hip issue....so red flagged for possible injury health concerns....KC will need him to be as good as advertised and hope that his hip holds up.

KC Definitely has some roster challenges ahead of them with the cap and guys moving on...etc...again...the roster has had good chance of being less deep etc than this years roster.....all I am saying is that the main core is going to be around...and that alone is a solid foundation to try and build a roster good enough to compete for titles for the forseeable future.

The Bills are still WELL WITHIN the low cost QB window...and will be for another 4 years at least.  If Beane and Co can hit some in the draft and make some good FA pickups while Josh is cheap....you guys have every reason to believe a super bowl is within reach.  

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

The great thing is that it means “generational” talent Sammy Watkins will be released.  He was talking trash on Twitter during the games.  See ya Mr. Glass

I never quite understood this signing for KC.....Mahomes takes a guy like DeMarcus Robinson who only costs 1 million bucks...and gets Sammy Watkins production out of him.  I'd rather KC have signed a mid tier WR for 1/3rd the cost....and spent the money on interior line or LB's.....it's the 2nd Worst contract Brett Veach has done in his tenure (Anthony Hitchens is worse)  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Only 19 mil, with that massive Mahomes contract I thought they would be a lot higher over the cap. QB’s are just taking more and more cap space, something will have to give. Soon QB’s will be taking up as much as 35 to 40 % of cap space and you will probably have a ton of no name defenses to get under the cap. 

Top QBs are taking up about the same percentage of the cap as they always have.  If anything, it should be higher. 

9 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I don't disagree with you....Breeland is a UFA.  They can't afford him again unless he signs another cheap 1 year deal like he did this year to "win".  I don't see that happening again....he's played really well and he's going to get paid.

KC knows they'll have a hole at corner.  Charvariou Ward is also a FA.  They did sign 2019 Giants first round CB De'Andre Baker this year as a reclamation project....he promptly broke his leg when he got on the field.  

Last year, KC Drafted Lucas Niang..OT TCU in the 3rd round....alot of 1st round grades on that guy coming out of school, but he has a chronic hip issue....so red flagged for possible injury health concerns....KC will need him to be as good as advertised and hope that his hip holds up.

KC Definitely has some roster challenges ahead of them with the cap and guys moving on...etc...again...the roster has had good chance of being less deep etc than this years roster.....all I am saying is that the main core is going to be around...and that alone is a solid foundation to try and build a roster good enough to compete for titles for the forseeable future.

The Bills are still WELL WITHIN the low cost QB window...and will be for another 4 years at least.  If Beane and Co can hit some in the draft and make some good FA pickups while Josh is cheap....you guys have every reason to believe a super bowl is within reach.  

Yea I think Niang went about where he should have done but obviously he opted out. They also signed Yasir Durant as an UDFA too who I thought was draftable so they definitely have some developmental options but they are both right tackle types to me rather than guys who can play the blindside. 

Bills fans tend to have a bit of an issue with the salary cap and it is because when you have been bad for as long as we had you equate salary cap space with hope and so it is seen as a positive thing. But salary cap space can be a negative if it means you do not have top end talent that needs paying. KC's window is easily open for at least the next 4 years as a minimum because they have elite talent under contract. They don't need to sign free agents at key positions. They have guys there already. They just need to continue to draft well. Tackle and corner are the two spots to me. Neither is yet a weakness glaring enough to sink the team but both are areas that can be upgraded. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3