Cover1 Film Room on Bills-Chiefs AFC Championship

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Play breakdowns start about 30 minutes in.

What I got from this in part is we ran a defensive scheme where our LB tend to read and react to the QB's eyes, against a QB who excels at manipulating defenders with his eyes.

It’s that point that is a head scratcher, will our staff be able to be more flexible and creative   The last two games including the Super Bowl really give me the feeling we are much further behind those two teams than our 15-4 record would suggest  We don’t have premiere players along the d line , our lb crew is in flux and I am not convinced Edmunds is being used correctly, and I think that Buc offense and defense would have dominated us even more than they did KC  The two very poor games against kc this year reminds me of how the Pats dominated us until Brady left this year   Like Mcd as a person, developer of men, but not convinced  he will make the needed coaching changes ( line coaches) or strategy changes necessary to win a Super Bowl    Next year is a big tell tale year for him  Needs to show he can beat Kc, develop a run game, adjust his soft zone standard d to at least get back to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME while the afc East window is in our favor  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is another Cover1 piece focused on Josh Allen and the offense.

Has anyone else watched this?

There are some plays here where they are saying "Allen just had nowhere to go" where I would swear I saw an available RB or TE checkdown.

As you've noted elsewhere, this is clearly an area where Josh need to improve. Maybe seeing Brady use the check down to the RBs and TEs to win the Super Bowl against the team that he just lost too will drive that home... The good news is that it is probably the least difficult area of his game to improve on, at least from a mechanical standpoint. 

We also need to get better at the RB and TE position. With better weapons comes greater trust. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 2

Some key takeaways for next year :

-Mongo had a really bad game. Was a turnstile 

- Knox got open often vs man coverage 

- Josh made some crazy throws into tight windows. Pocket presence is very good except for those 70 yard sacks.  With his arm, good scheme, and one or two player upgrades, they can score on anyone. 

- Beasley and Diggs were bracketed often

- for a ‘speed’ guy Brown isn’t separating at all and was a non threat. just don’t see him as a $9wr. 

- TJY was also open in the pass game and made a spectacular catch and a couple others. Im not sure why he was not used more all year. 

- Singletary 😔 

- teams shouldn’t be able to rush 3 with a d line spy and get pressure that fast. Williams got beat a bunch too. Looked like they speed rush the LDE upfield then he retraces to keep Allen from rolling right. 

- spaggs front disguises is a similar defense, just seem a lot better 

- crowd noise next year may cause some regression in the offense. 

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

- Josh made some crazy throws into tight windows. Pocket presence is very good except for those 70 yard sacks.  With his arm, good scheme, and one or two player upgrades, they can score on anyone. 

- for a ‘speed’ guy Brown isn’t separating at all and was a non threat. just don’t see him as a $9wr. 

- TJY was also open in the pass game and made a spectacular catch and a couple others. Im not sure why he was not used more all year. 

- Singletary 😔 

- teams shouldn’t be able to rush 3 with a d line spy and get pressure that fast. Williams got beat a bunch too. Looked like they speed rush the LDE upfield then he retraces to keep Allen from rolling right. 

I'm not a big fan of Yeldon the RB, but he's a fantastic pass catcher, with the way we use the short pass game with Beasley and McKenzie as running game or to get easy yards, Yeldon should have seen the field more.

Regarding Singletary, we all saw how hard he worked in the off-season, he had a down year no doubt, but I wouldn't toss him to the curb, bring competition via FA, but let's not waste an early round pick on a RB. Also, the OL could have been a lot better at run blocking. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is another Cover1 piece focused on Josh Allen and the offense.

Has anyone else watched this?

There are some plays here where they are saying "Allen just had nowhere to go" where I would swear I saw an available RB or TE checkdown.

one of the reasons I stopped reading / watching his stuff.  

He makes too many poor assessments IMO 

• Like (+1) 1

i like them, but i agree w the above, they give lots of comments about how well someone did something, and comments on what the team does, but very little wrt ideas of what could be done better, or where mistakes were made.

it's pretty clear our scheme was an open book for KC and we had no answers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, colin said:

i like them, but i agree w the above, they give lots of comments about how well someone did something, and comments on what the team does, but very little wrt ideas of what could be done better, or where mistakes were made.

it's pretty clear our scheme was an open book for KC and we had no answers.

They do often in the film breakdown show who was open or perhaps a better choice for a play.

I, too, saw Knox open a lot and wonder why it seems Josh just won't take him unless he's way downfield (it seems).  Does he drop a lot of balls or fumble a lot in practice?  Or is Josh just so tuned to make the "chunk play" that he refuses to see the dink and dunk?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They do often in the film breakdown show who was open or perhaps a better choice for a play.

I, too, saw Knox open a lot and wonder why it seems Josh just won't take him unless he's way downfield (it seems).  Does he drop a lot of balls or fumble a lot in practice?  Or is Josh just so tuned to make the "chunk play" that he refuses to see the dink and dunk?

Good question.

Josh Allen stated, during training camp I believe, that he did not want to become "Captain Checkdown", although he did use the checkdown a little more often this season than in 2019. He wants to get the ball to his WR's. To be fair he did connect with Knox on shorter pass plays during the game, but I'm guessing with how the game was going that Allen was looking for ways to get the Bills back in the game by looking for bigger plays.

Yup, on defense we needed 2x the pressure from our Front 4. Never happened. The LB's needed to at least jam/press Kelce. Never happened. And there were checkdowns that were ignored. Josh and the coaches will learn from this. You don't need " hero ball" to win a SB. We've seen that 20+ times historically. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Good question.

Josh Allen stated, during training camp I believe, that he did not want to become "Captain Checkdown", although he did use the checkdown a little more often this season than in 2019. He wants to get the ball to his WR's. To be fair he did connect with Knox on shorter pass plays during the game, but I'm guessing with how the game was going that Allen was looking for ways to get the Bills back in the game by looking for bigger plays.

Well, I'm only partway in, but it seems to me a theme in the Tenn. loss and the KC earlier loss and this KC loss, was that Josh acknowledged after the game that he was "pressing" early.  There's something to be said for taking the checkdown and moving the chains early on, keeping the ball away from their offense and scoring on ours.  So I think the pressing early on is the bigger problem.

39 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

This is an interesting take too and have wondered if this will be a factor as well. This is why it is imperative Buffalo improves on check-down options and the running game in 2021

Dont even need a running game, just take check downs sometimes. Brady thrived off of this some years. 

6 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I'm not a big fan of Yeldon the RB, but he's a fantastic pass catcher, with the way we use the short pass game with Beasley and McKenzie as running game or to get easy yards, Yeldon should have seen the field more.

Regarding Singletary, we all saw how hard he worked in the off-season, he had a down year no doubt, but I wouldn't toss him to the curb, bring competition via FA, but let's not waste an early round pick on a RB. Also, the OL could have been a lot better at run blocking. 

me neither, I’d really just like Marshall Faulk. 

but for me that’s the real bit. Need a RB that can make things happen in the passing game.  Every time Devin goes out wide, the universe knows there is no throw coming that way. 

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

- Singletary 😔 

No doubt, J Allen really took advantage of quiet stadiums this year.  So often he would be direct blocking assignments and routes by screaming it out, proably wont be able to do that much next year but over time he is smart an will be able to work with his teamates over time on these issues.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting how one of the analyst felt no one was beating KC, I think that was the knee-jerk reaction we all had after KC played with us like a chew toy, but Tampa did.

They were able to disrupt timing and pressure with their front four which took away the timing KC relies on to create those shallow and middle zone windows or rubs in man that they were so effective at leveraging against us.

That and although they kept the two deep safety look they jammed and stuck to Kelce with a lot of man.

That is my initial take, but would like to see them break down what Tampa did and why it worked so well.

Some was certainly their personnel, but some was scheme taking away guys like Hill.