Best Decision/Unpopular Take...Don't Resign Allen Yet

Wizard

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

Edited by Wizard
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

There are two factors you appear to be overlooking:

1. Signing him now does not mean we can't keep his salary very low next year or the next few years. They can structure a deal to look like he never signed anything.

2. It's incredibly important to keep Allen happy now. If he's willing to sign a team friendly deal now, you do it. Period.

For these two reasons above, you can expect a signing sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I'll bite.  The process of signing your franchise QB to a big contract at the end of year three is designed to achieve much of what you want.  That is to lock up our guy in a CAP friendly way.

With the Ravens working to restructure Jackson and the precedent set with QB's like Mahomes, Watson, Goff & Wentz the Bills can not afford to not restructure Allen's contract now.  Frankly I'm not going to risk the relationship between the franchise QB and the franchise should they choose not to sign Allen to a new contract.

I'm confident the new contract can be structured to gain all the CAP advantages you describe while locking up a generational talent for the foreseeable future.  It would be gross malfeasance on the part of the Bills not to sign Allen to a new contract this off season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

He's about to become a very, very rich man. Good on him as he deserves it. The timing is perfect now. His management will work with the Bills to be as cap friendly as possible for the good of the team. You keep this man happy by any means necessary. Make it happen!

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The premise of the OP question is interesting but fundamentally flawed for two reasons.

1. The precedent has been set to extend after the third year. Both Allen and Jackson will be extended because they have proven they are stars. Just like Watson, Wilson and Mahomes were.  I know Wilson was different because of no fifth year option.  And those that are not stars don't get the extension like Trubisky didn't and Darnold will not.

2. It's an extension and it does not affect the cap nor the ability to sign players for 2021

It is 100% certain Allen will sign an extension over the summer that will be more than Watson or Wilson but less than Mahomes.  The only way it doesn't happen if Allen wants to wait for a bigger contract.  

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll bite.  The process of signing your franchise QB to a big contract at the end of year three is designed to achieve much of what you want.  That is to lock up our guy in a CAP friendly way.

With the Ravens working to restructure Jackson and the precedent set with QB's like Mahomes, Watson, Goff & Wentz the Bills can not afford to not restructure Allen's contract now.  Frankly I'm not going to risk the relationship between the franchise QB and the franchise should they choose not to sign Allen to a new contract.

I'm confident the new contract can be structured to gain all the CAP advantages you describe while locking up a generational talent for the foreseeable future.  It would be gross malfeasance on the part of the Bills not to sign Allen to a new contract this off season.

And for all these concise reasons that's exactly what Beane will do.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

There are two factors you appear to be overlooking:

1. Signing him now does not mean we can't keep his salary very low next year or the next few years. They can structure a deal to look like he never signed anything.

2. It's incredibly important to keep Allen happy now. If he's willing to sign a team friendly deal now, you do it. Period.

For these two reasons above, you can expect a signing sooner rather than later.

Good points.  Also, even a top 5 deal looks team friendly after a year or two.

I would also recommend getting it done before Baker or Lamar.  Even as a not top 5 QB, they may get top 5 money and set the bar higher for Allen

• Like (+1) 1

You have to sign Allen now.  He doesn’t want to risk a major injury next season without any guaranteed future payday.  If you’re going to make him take that risk, he may as well tell the organization to get F’d and go play for a team that will look out for their superstar.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I want Allen to get his Brinks truck payday, but not yet!

Yes...Allen outplayed his salary. And, yes, we love him and our future with him. And, yes, he's perfect for Buffalo.

The Bills used a lot of assets to get Allen. He signed a contract, and part of that contract was getting a great deal of having his salary controllable to a possible 5 years.

Pay Allen, but maximize his $6-$7 million salary now while we can for at least next year. With Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, and possibly Herbert, the Bills need every valuable player that they can resign, and balancing out of their offense with a RB and a tougher front 7. He also needs as good as if not a better offensive line than this year.

We have next year to make this team deeper, stronger, and more balanced.

The $30+ mil we would save keeping Allen on his current contract plus the cutting of fat of Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, and other cuts/restructures, gives the Bills an additional $30+million to resign the right players from this year's team while also giving the Bills a run game and a potential game changer in the front 7.

Allen will get $35-$45 million per. He will get it in his 5th year if on a franchise tag. He will get it with another MVP season again, a Super Bowl win, or even a top 10 statistical season with a playoff run.

He will be 26. He will be paid.

Take advantage of this 1 year window. Take out the Chiefs with a more balanced and talented roster, win the Super Bowl, and then pay Josh whatever he wants.

This is a rare window It is even a rarer window with the uncertainty of the salary cap Even more rare with today's free agency world, and then we have 1 year where we have a top 3 QB in football making $30-$40 million less than the few comparable QB's in the league.

Pay him, but don't pay it all yet! 

Dumb take.  Pay him now

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly there isn't any reason to sign Allen until after next year. He's not going anywhere. 

Pick up his option and you've got him for 2 more years. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Don't re-sign Allen. Cool. Then, he wins MVP next year. And we are paying him at least 43 million per season.

Sign him now.

You're already going to be paying him somewhere between Mahomes and Watson. There's no rush to make him the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, BruceVilanch said:

I would argue the biggest reason TO sign him this year is the optics, you want to reward your players who play well.

He's on his rookie deal. Definitely agree otherwise. 

In terms of optics getting him locked up is a commitment more than anything. Waiting might start whispers that the Bills aren't sold. So in terms of optics in that sense I would agree the Bills may think getting him signed means a lot. 

I was reading the points to not sign him right away and was thinking they made some sense. Then I used my memory and put myself on my couch for the past 20 years remembering what it used to be like watching bills games without a quarterback and it scared the living crap outta me. Sign him!

I'm sure he will agree to a team friendly deal. 

Edited by JROC INTEL

When they re-signed Tre White, he kept his 4th yr cap hit basically the same and his 5th year was similar to his 5th yr option number. 

I believe it’ll be similar with Josh. He’ll get re-signed and it’ll basically be an extension off the end of his 5th yr option. 

This is a negotiation people, between employee and employer....and we, the fans are neither of those two. Would the fans like him to sign, of course. But what if he and his Agent are looking for more money than anyone would ever want to pay? I doubt that they are, but I know for sure that I won't be in the room when these discussions are had.