Excited about Gabe Davis in 2021

I think John Brown will bounce back next year. Whether it's with us or not depends on the cap I suppose. If he goes,we absolutely need to add speed. 

As far as Davis is concerned, he needs to work on "attacking" the ball. Im sure this has been noticed by Hall et al and I assume he'll work on it in the off-season.

He was a pleasant pick in the draft, amd am excited to see what Hodgins can do as a compliment in the red zone.  Both don’t address speed.  The story on Beasely breaking his fibula now makes sense.  I was surprised he could play at all.  I still think Brown must have been more injured than we know as he just never looked the same since his injuries earlier in the season.

What I’m hopeful for is a hit at TE in the draft.  Supposedly this is a very deep draft for this position.  We don’t have the $ at all for free agency so all of these people stated in so many posts aren’t going to happen.

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Still need to upgrade John Brown 

Go get Deebo while the Niners consider blowing everything up.

I love Davis and agree. Still interested in this Hodgins kid as well, nearly forgot about him.

Edited by Nelius

Davis has good hands and feet  but too slow and weak to be more than a gadget guy like McKenzie as a change of pace. He has no fight in him and Duke should have been active instead of a limping Davis. We also have Stills that can cheaply replace Brown.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

I’m impressed he handled business when called upon for most of the season. I would pump the brakes a little on the hype though. 
A lot of his production was based off seeing teams worst corner on the field or coverage shifted heavily to Diggs. Credit to Davis for making the plays but it’s too early still to say he’s a #2. 
The potential is there. Nothing to be overly negative about a 4th round pick for sure. 

• Agree 1

His development this year was pretty impressive. He earned his playing time and didn't stick out for too many mistakes. Dropped a potential playoff TD in a win so I won't hold it against him. 

I wonder if this is going to affect the roster status of Brown. I doubt the look that way in the draft either. Probably our best position group but I wouldn't be in opposition to bringing in a couple of "economic" FAs for a looksie

I think we can go into the season with Gabe Davis penciled in as the #2.  He's shown a lot of potential and will only get better.  We also have an elite WR1 and an elite slot WR, which lessens the burden of him needing to be a top end #2 immediately (not saying he can't be).

This is also assuming that we upgrade the run game/running back position.

Brown at his cap hit is similar to how I feel about bringing back Milano.  Hard pass.  Neither Brown or Milano are difference makers in a potential rematch against Kansas City.  

Edited by SCBills

13 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m cool with Brown....he’s 1 year removed from 1000 yards. Injuries hurt him this year....I still see a role for him next year.

Brown is only worth keeping if he has his explosiveness.  Without it he's JAG.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

He needs to spend the off-season doing whatever Diggs does and I'll be even more excited.  In all seriousness, he had a great rookie year and I'm very happy to see the success he had.  I'd like to see what Hodgins has in preseason next year.  IMO I think we need a guy that can just blow by the defense with his speed.  Maybe John Ross would come play on a small deal.  I know he's had injuries his whole career but we seem to have a way of rejuvenating guy's careers.  

Gabriel Davis is up there with 3 other Bills WR greats for his Rookie Season:

Elbert Dubenion 1960 42/752/17.9YPC and 7 TDs

Jerry Butler 1979  48/734/17.4 YPC and 4 TDs

Andre Reed 1985 48/637/13.3 YPC and 4 TDs

Gabriel Davis 2020 35/599/17.1 YPC and 7 TDs

Edited by freddyjj

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As for John Brown... he may have sealed the loss

https://theathletic.com/2343821/2021/01/25/bills-chiefs-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott-afc-championship/

3) Allen needed more from John Brown on his interception

Allen flirted with a few interceptions and ended up throwing just one, but he wasn’t the primary reason for the turnover. Early in the fourth quarter, the Bills were down 16 points with plenty of time and a dose of optimism remaining. They had already moved the ball 65 yards downfield. From the Chiefs’ 20-yard-line, Allen made the correct decision on the called RPO. He knew he’d have space to attempt a slant throw to wide receiver John Brown and move the Bills closer to the end zone. What he couldn’t predict was that Brown would lose the route. The Chiefs defender grabbed at Brown a bit on the play, but they were still within the 5-yard zone in which defenders can put their hands on receivers. It’s Brown’s responsibility to get a clean release and keep the defender off his pads. And if he doesn’t do that initially, he has to battle through the contact. Brown failed on both accounts on this play, allowing the Chiefs to break up the pass, deflect it into the air and set up an easy interception for the safety.

That play is a perfect example of what the Bills must consider in the offseason with Brown. Brown is a good route runner, but he relies on his burst to gain separation. Without it, Brown will have a hard time winning consistently against man coverage. Brown has been missing that element of his game since he returned from an ankle injury. While that might’ve been what slowed him down, it’s fair to wonder if Brown’s best days are behind him. By the start of training camp in July, Brown will be 31 years old and on the final year of his contract. The Bills have players they’d like to re-sign and the depth at receiver to move on from Brown without a big drop-off. They would also save nearly $8 million on the salary cap by cutting Brown this offseason, giving them the flexibility to either re-sign one of their own or add a middle-tier veteran free agent at another position of need. Along with the offensive line, the decision on Brown will be one of the Bills’ most challenging because of how much he meant to Allen early in his career.

I don't think it's fair at all to Brown to say he "sealed the loss"

It was clear last year, even with "burst", that teams could take him away with physical play.  The Ravens did, Houston did, even IIRC that incompletion on the last throw of the Browns game last year when he played every game except Wk 17.  He's struggled to get a clean release when jammed on the line, and he's struggled to keep the defender off his pads.   I think Allen could predict Brown might "lose the route" by that point in the game, but he had to try something.

Brown seemed as though he had significant improvements to his game this year.  Getting his toes down to drag on the way out of bounds on sideline receptions, as he didn't last year vs Houston.  Early in the season it seemed as though he had gotten more physical in his play.  I think it depends a bit on what he needs this off-season?  Because if he's going to be recovering from surgery for 6 months and can't strengthen and train, that could be an issue.

I think the Bills would like to have him back, but I fear he's one of the "hard choices" they're going to have to make.

• Like (+1) 1