Excited about Gabe Davis in 2021

Not sure I agree. He's has a big wingspan, good hands and decent speed, but he lacks quickness and doesn't seem to get open easily. An excellent third or fourth receiver, but I think the Bills need more speed to complement Beasley and Davis and let Diggs do whatever he wants. I do think Davis will improve next year, but I don't see him as an effective number two receiver. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He needs to work on his upper body strength and his assertiveness generally.  Contested catches were an issue (except for one particular catch) and he would’ve benefited from working the refs in a few games to get some calls.

This, 100%.  He needs to learn the intricacies of his position in order to take that step.  This is why having Diggs is so important.  He’s a student of the game and will serve as a huge influence on these talented younger guys.  If he takes a step though...  I think he’s a big bodied #2 and that would allow Buffalo to focus on bigger needs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Still need to upgrade John Brown 

His name is Gabe Davis!

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I want another top shelf talent to compliment Diggs.

Gabe Davis does have a nose for the end zone, but at 4.52 I just question if he is more than a #3 - #4 WR.

I really question this speed thing.  I did some calculations a few weeks back.  The difference between Davis at 4.52 seconds and Brown 4.3, (assuming he can even still do a 4.3 at his age) results in a 40 yard run about 5 1/2 feet.  In other words Brown would beat Davis by that amount.

But when throwing a pass, have to factor in Davis being taller, likely longer arms makes up some of that distance.  Maybe it's an effective difference of about 1.5 yard.  So how many passes are going to be dropped perfectly into that spot that Brown would have caught it and it would have sailed over Davis head? 

How many passes does a team even throw over 40 yards over the course of the season, and how many are then even completed?  Maybe 40 are thrown and 10 completed.  Does it really stretch the field all that much more, and if so, how many more yards does it actually gain the team?  And then is it worth spending an extra $7 mil for that or better spent elsewhere?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Still need to upgrade John Brown 

I kinda think Davis is that upgrade.

Realistically we all obviously know Diggs will be there and I think most of us understand that Beasley will continue to be our slot guy.

The fight is for the #2 role and I think Brown is gone in the offseason as a cap casualty as we try to pay Josh and resign Milano.  And I think Davis has already proven that (when healthy) he can be a solid number 2.  And the best thing is he was only a rookie... so he should get better!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Gabe Davis does have a nose for the end zone, but at 4.52 I just question if he is more than a #3 - #4 WR.

40 time isn't everything, Deandre Hopkins ran a 4.57 and he is capable of taking the top off a defense, it is how you use your speed.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m cool with Brown....he’s 1 year removed from 1000 yards. Injuries hurt him this year....I still see a role for him next year.

unless they find a speedster in the draft or FA

As for John Brown... he may have sealed the loss

https://theathletic.com/2343821/2021/01/25/bills-chiefs-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott-afc-championship/

3) Allen needed more from John Brown on his interception

Allen flirted with a few interceptions and ended up throwing just one, but he wasn’t the primary reason for the turnover. Early in the fourth quarter, the Bills were down 16 points with plenty of time and a dose of optimism remaining. They had already moved the ball 65 yards downfield. From the Chiefs’ 20-yard-line, Allen made the correct decision on the called RPO. He knew he’d have space to attempt a slant throw to wide receiver John Brown and move the Bills closer to the end zone. What he couldn’t predict was that Brown would lose the route. The Chiefs defender grabbed at Brown a bit on the play, but they were still within the 5-yard zone in which defenders can put their hands on receivers. It’s Brown’s responsibility to get a clean release and keep the defender off his pads. And if he doesn’t do that initially, he has to battle through the contact. Brown failed on both accounts on this play, allowing the Chiefs to break up the pass, deflect it into the air and set up an easy interception for the safety.

That play is a perfect example of what the Bills must consider in the offseason with Brown. Brown is a good route runner, but he relies on his burst to gain separation. Without it, Brown will have a hard time winning consistently against man coverage. Brown has been missing that element of his game since he returned from an ankle injury. While that might’ve been what slowed him down, it’s fair to wonder if Brown’s best days are behind him. By the start of training camp in July, Brown will be 31 years old and on the final year of his contract. The Bills have players they’d like to re-sign and the depth at receiver to move on from Brown without a big drop-off. They would also save nearly $8 million on the salary cap by cutting Brown this offseason, giving them the flexibility to either re-sign one of their own or add a middle-tier veteran free agent at another position of need. Along with the offensive line, the decision on Brown will be one of the Bills’ most challenging because of how much he meant to Allen early in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe we'll have the cap room.

Zero reason to not bring him back.  If money is the only reason you have then I want to bring him back.  

If that kid from Florida is available in the draft, add him to Diggs, Beasley, Brown, Davis and hopefully it all clicks for Knox....add an RB.

Can't wait to see what we can do.  

Yea, we're going to be just fine on offense.  

• Agree 1