Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Feel for the game.  I don't think we had the plays, or the execution to convert those 4th downs,..certainly not the goal to go one.   I'm fine with the FG at the end of half.  The other one, 4th and 3? he probably should have went for.  But McD saw what i saw,  the Bills simply were not executing well in that game until the very end when the Chiefs were playing softer zones.  

Yup, and the 4th and 3 one is more makeable. On that one, KC has to guard both the sticks and the end zone. That's tougher to do. 

Just because we made the playoffs on a Andy Dalton bomb people think Whaley did a good job because he ended the playoff streak.  Whaley and Brandon  sucked ass. Everyone and their mother knew we were going to be one and done in the playoffs. Total suck fest, Whaley reeks of sour grapes and the brown stuff.

• Vomit 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok John. The way some fans act like Whaley was a total disaster is just a flat out lie. We went 9-7 with EJ/ and that kitty cat Orton. They beat Rodgers with no offensive tds and end Manning’s td streak. They later had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod Taylor.

no one is saying Whaley is great. But it was a loser franchise and he averaged 8 wins a year while he was here. Far from terrible. He never got the qb like MCBeane did (total credit to them) and he got fired, but if he’s not qualified to talk about football, 99.9% of this board isn’t. 

They went 9-7 with Orton and EJ. Their receivers were non broken Sammy, Woods, Hogan, and Goodwin. They had 4 double digits sack guys and the number 2 defense. You don’t like Whaley but you’re a liar if that wasn’t a borderline great team with a good qb. 

of course you’re the same guy who used to trash Andy Reid all the time. Funny, you still doing that of a sudden. 🤔

So what?  You said SB contender with Josh. That's ridiculous. Sammy, Hogan, Goodwin??  Come ON!  2014 was Sammy's ONLY FULL SEASON lol.  Hogan was a decent #4. Goodwin?  lol

They had 1 top 5 D, then it went straight to them mid to high teens for Tyrod era.  

Yeah Reid looks like he's turned it around, but his past inability to coach through the biggest games was well known, so I don't know why you are still treating his past struggles like some hot take.  

Whaley Bills as a Josh Allen away from a SB contender (with Rex or Marrone as coach of course!) is a joke. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Of course....that’s because you can’t replace all 53 players on a roster at once.  That logic would give any past regime credit for the previous regime’s success.   Like I said, Beane and McDermott got rid of a lot of Whaley guys in 2017 and by the end of 2018 almost all of them were gone.

Did Marv Levy and Buddy Nix helped end the drought too because players they drafted were on that roster as well?  Come on, man. 

Can Rex Ryan take credit too because he coached many of the players who ended the drought?  

This goes back to my original point how some people will bend over backwards to validate Whaley versus accepting his tenure for what it was.

Most of the players from 2017 were either, drafted, signed, or retained by Whaley. That team ended the drought. You can assign credit however you would like but it would clearly be Whaley that would get the most credit out of that era for ending the drought.

I am actually hard pressed to remember what Bean had actually done to contribute to the 2017 season at that point. Remember Whaley left and he came in after the draft. I know we traded Watkins and Darby for some draft  picks Gaines I believe and the got robbed by Carolina with the Kelvin Benjamin trade but at that point the plan was to build for the future not win now.

Don’t get me wrong Bean is a far better GM than Whaley. However there were some positives he had including his contributions to ending a 17 year period of futility.

Edited by BillsfaninChicago
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When your a good GM you have a good chance of being pickup by another team if you are fired.

When your a solid GM you have a slight chance of catching on somewhere else and staying in the NFL in some capacity.

When you suck ass as a GM you are right where Whaley is, out of the NFL with no team wanting anything to do with you in any capacity. 

On 1/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, JohnNord said:

Of course....that’s because you can’t replace all 53 players on a roster at once.  That logic would give any past regime credit for the previous regime’s success.   Like I said, Beane and McDermott got rid of a lot of Whaley guys in 2017 and by the end of 2018 almost all of them were gone.

Did Marv Levy and Buddy Nix helped end the drought too because players they drafted were on that roster as well?  Come on, man. 

Can Rex Ryan take credit too because he coached many of the players who ended the drought?  

This goes back to my original point how some people will bend over backwards to validate Whaley versus accepting his tenure for what it was.

The love for Whaley is simple. He made a couple moves for big name guys. Whaley and Brandon made moves for headlines, and some fans think that equals quality. You are correct, Marv’s results were the same as GM. Except Marv had guys like Keith Ellison on the roster, while Whaley brought some well known guys on the team. The quality was the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

I said going in to the game to play aggressive.  Specially when you know the opponent is a speedy and high scoring crew.  I knew it was over when KC scored the second TD.  You have to kick the h*ck out of the champs to beat them.  

On 1/28/2021 at 10:20 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, is he wrong? I played football a long time and it’s nit great for your body or brain. Read about Junior Seau. Should Whaley said it no? But he’s not wrong.

He's not wrong, but if you work in professional football league, it was an extremely tone deaf move on his part.