Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

No he isn't wrong but the Bills really don't need the opinion of this totally sub par football executive. We are doing just fine without him. It is no accident that he is out of the league and will never, ever get another job as an NFL GM.

He should stick to scouting.

Come on Bill. Why is any fan allowed to give their opinion then? Why are media members allowed to give their opinion? Whaley has a much better resume than any of them. 

13 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Whaley is hardly in a position to criticize anyone on anything in the NFL

It blows my mind that people think like this. So any coach/ executive is not allowed to work in the media? This is dumb. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Come on Bill. Why is any fan allowed to give their opinion then? Why are media members allowed to give their opinion? Whaley has a much better resume than any of them. 

He passed on the most talented QB of all time to draft a cornerback.  He’s just never going to be on Bill’s Xmas card list.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Groin said:

Correct.  I was going to criticize his drafting, for example, or how humans should not play football.

Again, is he wrong? I played football a long time and it’s nit great for your body or brain. Read about Junior Seau. Should Whaley said it no? But he’s not wrong.

Its Doug Whaley... I dont know why after his terrible tenure as GM here we value his opinions. That being sad. Shouldve went for the 6 before half but I understand not wanting to leave points on the table when KC gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

I'm upset we're not in the SB, Whaley said something that a) I agree with but; b) I could also use this as an opportunity to take out my frustration on one of the people directly responsible for this team stinking for years. I have chosen to smash the button for option b.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So sensitive so of you

1 - he’s not wrong. Personally, I was so happy with everything this season, it’s really hard to criticize anything. I think KC was going to win no matter what we did. But Whaley isn’t wrong.

2 - if a former NFL GM isn’t allowed to voice his opinion, why can fans? It’s weird that some fans get upset about this. I know it’s crazy but Whaley might know more about football than most of you.

3 - it’s such BS how Whaley gets remembered. This year’s Josh Allen on some of the teams he put together were SB contenders too. He loaded us up with some legit rosters but ultimately, he couldn’t find a qb and that’s why he got fired. But isn’t close to as bad as some of you want him to be.

Link?

Also, Josh, "Shady", Woods, Sammy and Clay are not a SB contender lineup.  And the D was mediocre in '16 and '17.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So sensitive so of you

1 - he’s not wrong. Personally, I was so happy with everything this season, it’s really hard to criticize anything. I think KC was going to win no matter what we did. But Whaley isn’t wrong.

2 - if a former NFL GM isn’t allowed to voice his opinion, why can fans? It’s weird that some fans get upset about this. I know it’s crazy but Whaley might know more about football than most of you.

3 - it’s such BS how Whaley gets remembered. This year’s Josh Allen on some of the teams he put together were SB contenders too. He loaded us up with some legit rosters but ultimately, he couldn’t find a qb and that’s why he got fired. But isn’t close to as bad as some of you want him to be.

The way some fans rationalize Doug Whaley as GM is almost comical 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Link?

Also, Josh, "Shady", Woods, Sammy and Clay are not a SB contender lineup.  And the D was mediocre in '16 and '17.

There’s a lot of excuses being made for Whaley and if baffles me.  He was not in the best situation given how the Bills were run.  I’ll give you that - but it also seemed like the GM role was too big for him.  

People want to point out to individual moves as positives (many of which occurred when Buddy Nix was GM) but Doug has no clue about the organizational transformation which needed to occur in failed organizations like Buffalo.  Fortunately, McDermott did.  He also had no clue how to build a football team.  

Bottom line, he was not a good GM and should be held in the same regard as Buddy Nix and Marv Levy when it comes to GM’s

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The way some fans rationalize Doug Whaley as GM is almost comical 

Ok John. The way some fans act like Whaley was a total disaster is just a flat out lie. We went 9-7 with EJ/ and that kitty cat Orton. They beat Rodgers with no offensive tds and end Manning’s td streak. They later had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod Taylor.

no one is saying Whaley is great. But it was a loser franchise and he averaged 8 wins a year while he was here. Far from terrible. He never got the qb like MCBeane did (total credit to them) and he got fired, but if he’s not qualified to talk about football, 99.9% of this board isn’t. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Link?

They went 9-7 with Orton and EJ. Their receivers were non broken Sammy, Woods, Hogan, and Goodwin. They had 4 double digits sack guys and the number 2 defense. You don’t like Whaley but you’re a liar if that wasn’t a borderline great team with a good qb. 

of course you’re the same guy who used to trash Andy Reid all the time. Funny, you still doing that of a sudden. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok John. The way some fans act like Whaley was a total disaster is just a flat out lie. We went 9-7 with EJ/ and that kitty cat Orton. They beat Rodgers with no offensive tds and end Manning’s td streak. They later had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod Taylor.

no one is saying Whaley is great. But it was a loser franchise and he averaged 8 wins a year while he was here. Far from terrible. He never got the qb like MCBeane did (total credit to them) and he got fired, but if he’s not qualified to talk about football, 99.9% of this board isn’t. 

I’m not saying he’s not qualified - he’s commenting on the game like a lot of former coaches or players have.  But let’s not ignore the context.  

There’s a lot of irony here.... someone who failed in a leadership role criticizing the person who did the very thing that he came no where near accomplishing.  Oh yeah, and the person he criticized is likely responsible for his firing and possibly the reason he’s out of the NFL.

Also a few things that don’t compute here:

Not only did Whaley never find a QB, he bet the future of the team on the wrong on by drafting a “generational talent” who was at best a #2 WR in the NFL.  

On and averaging 8 wins (really 7.5 wins) in Buffalo is not something to pat him on the back for.  The Levy/Brandon/Jauron era is largely considered a joke and they averaged 7 wins a season.  

I feel that Whaley shouldn’t be held in any higher regard than the other GM’s of the Drought Era.   None were very good - so why go out of your way to defend.  He made more splashes and won more off seasons but in the end no one knew how to build a winner 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They went 9-7 with Orton and EJ. Their receivers were non broken Sammy, Woods, Hogan, and Goodwin. They had 4 double digits sack guys and the number 2 defense. You don’t like Whaley but you’re a liar if that wasn’t a borderline great team with a good qb. 

of course you’re the same guy who used to trash Andy Reid all the time. Funny, you still doing that of a sudden. 🤔

“They were a great team without a great QB.”

How many teams can you say that about in NFL History.  Just about every one

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He never got to hire his own coach?  Because Doug will tell you otherwise.  

I disagree that he was a good GM.  He was able to find a few good under the radar players through FA and made a good trade to get Shady.  Doug also completely mismanaged the QB position with EJ Manuel.

Outside of that, he was poor at the draft and worse - he had no idea how to build a team.  

IMO Whaley’s ceiling is a Director of Pro Personnel.  He was in over his head as GM and the fact that he hasn’t gotten another opportunity in the NFL over the past 5 years is probably proof

The difference is the QB’s.  Mahomes was not rattled by the blitz and knew where to go with the football.  Josh did not 

Also don’t underestimate the impact of KC’s defensive line which had 2 All Pro players completely beat our OL.  

I disagree..Allen knew where to go the problem was no one was open..the chiefs dbs were absolutely mauling our recievers and our oline crumbled ....was the worst the oline and defense played all year

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

It is not a bad take and to be honest I never understood the hate he gets. The team he essentially put together did end the playoff drought. 

LOL no he didn’t.  They ended the playoff drought after they fired him!

McDermott and Beane essentially re-tooled that roster and got rid of all of Whaley’s guys.  

As far as the “hate” he gets.  It’s because he was no more successful than Marv Levy as GM who many consider to be a joke.  In 4 years his teams won an average of 7.5 games.  A half game better than Marv...congrats

Just now, Billever76 said:

I disagree..Allen knew where to go the problem was no one was open..the chiefs dbs were absolutely mauling our recievers and our oline crumbled ....was the worst the oline and defense played all year

I don’t know I think you both are right.  Allen was a little rattled but it was because no one was open.  KC used 6 defensive backs and 1 LB because they weren’t threatened by our RB’s or TE’s.   Their defensive line also beat our OL straight up.   It led to him panicking and forcing the football rather than take the 2 yard dump off which he knew probably wouldn’t move the sticks.

Constant pressure for a 4 man rush + 6-7 DB’s in coverage = no open receivers 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

How did you come to that conclusion while quoting C.Biscuit's post ?

Because C. Biscuit and several others here tried to rationalize that Whaley was a good GM, when he was just as ineffective as the other GM’s during the Drought 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

LOL no he didn’t.  They ended the playoff drought after they fired him!

McDermott and Beane essentially re-tooled that roster and got rid of all of Whaley’s guys.  

As far as the “hate” he gets.  It’s because he was no more successful than Marv Levy as GM who many consider to be a joke.  In 4 years his teams won an average of 7.5 games.  A half game better than Marv...congrats

Yes I am aware they made the playoffs after he was fired when I said “essentially put together” it means the large majority of players on that team were put there by him. Meaning he played a part in ending the drought. 

12 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Yes I am aware they made the playoffs after he was fired when I said “essentially put together” it means the large majority of players on that team were put there by him. Meaning he played a part in ending the drought. 

Of course....that’s because you can’t replace all 53 players on a roster at once.  That logic would give any past regime credit for the previous regime’s success.   Like I said, Beane and McDermott got rid of a lot of Whaley guys in 2017 and by the end of 2018 almost all of them were gone.

Did Marv Levy and Buddy Nix helped end the drought too because players they drafted were on that roster as well?  Come on, man. 

Can Rex Ryan take credit too because he coached many of the players who ended the drought?  

This goes back to my original point how some people will bend over backwards to validate Whaley versus accepting his tenure for what it was.

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

Feel for the game.  I don't think we had the plays, or the execution to convert those 4th downs,..certainly not the goal to go one.   I'm fine with the FG at the end of half.  The other one, 4th and 3? he probably should have went for.  But McD saw what i saw,  the Bills simply were not executing well in that game until the very end when the Chiefs were playing softer zones.