Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bitter??

What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

The BALLS on this bum.....

He was a good GM that never got to hire his own coach or draft his own Quarterback. Not sure what you expected.

If Josh Allen was Josh Rosen, I'm pretty sure Beane isn't Executive of the Year.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

He was a good GM that never got to hire his own coach or draft his own Quarterback. Not sure what you expected.

If Josh Allen was Josh Rosen, I'm pretty sure Beane isn't Executive of the Year.

This nonsense won't die.  By his own words, Rex was his man (he would ultimately lose his job over that).  He was also totally on board with EJ, who was drafted 2 weeks before Whaley was officially made GM.

He was such a good GM that the next one wiped all traces of his roster within 2 years and went to the playoffs  3 times.  He was a dope who took credit for what little good he did and took no blame.  

If bad Buffalo GMs were money, he would be on the $100 bill....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This nonsense won't die.  By his own words, Rex was his man (he would ultimately lose his job over that).  He was also totally on board with EJ, who was drafted 2 weeks before Whaley was officially made GM.

He was such a good GM that the next one wiped all traces of his roster within 2 years and went to the playoffs  3 times.  He was a dope who took credit for what little good he did and took no blame.  

If bad Buffalo GMs were money, he would be on the $100 bill....

Doug Whaley was afraid to draft a QB during his entire tenure. 

Pot meet kettle.

• Like (+1) 1

Without even reading anything he said I will say this: Doug Whaley should STFU.  Even if any of his criticism had validity at this point, I could not care less what he thinks about anything.  This guy was nothing but an incompetent fool in his Bills tenure, and I cannot imagine why any Bills fan would care in the least what he has to say.  

Edited by FLFan

“you have to knock out the champ”?  

I saw Frazier beat Ali by decision.  Then Ali beat Frazier by decision.  Third time Frazier’s manager would not let him go out, and Ali later said he almost died that night.    There really were no knockouts.  

Whaley is a dunce.  He was terrible.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

“you have to knock out the champ”?  

I saw Frazier beat Ali by decision.  Then Ali beat Frazier by decision.  Third time Frazier’s manager would not let him go out, and Ali later said he almost died that night.    There really were no knockouts.  

Whaley is a dunce.  He was terrible.  

This is really dumb. Ali-Frazier is exactly the right example.  First fight, Frazier was champ. Ali didn't knock him out, Frazier kept the title. Second fight neither had the title. Third fight, Ali had the title, Frazier didn't knock him out, Ali kept the title.  Exactly what Whaley said.  If you want the title you have to knockout the champ.

Those three fights were amazing.   

On 1/26/2021 at 10:17 PM, JohnNord said:

Check Mahomes rating versus the blitz it’s disgusting.  The answer is almost never to blitz Mahomes

Yet josh allen had an even better rating than mahomes against the blitz this year and yet kc still was throwing the sink at him in key downs....you sure don't play soft zone defense with a front 4 who cannot get home

On 1/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, Process said:

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

He coached conservative, is what he coached.

I didn't like the decision either, but I do agree with you that we were outmatched and this wouldn't have made the difference, or even close, IMO.

4 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Yet josh allen had an even better rating than mahomes against the blitz this year and yet kc still was throwing the sink at him in key downs....you sure don't play soft zone defense with a front 4 who cannot get home

We did do some blitzing, and seldom enough that it was surprising and unpredictable. And Mahomes absolutely ate it up, every drop, with gravy. The answer isn't more blitzing.

And you don't use a tactic on Patrick Mahomes because it works on the younger and rawer Josh Allen. Allen just didn't appear to have the poise he has mostly played with all year. Mahomes was oozing with it..

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He never got to hire his own coach?  Because Doug will tell you otherwise.  

I disagree that he was a good GM.  He was able to find a few good under the radar players through FA and made a good trade to get Shady.  Doug also completely mismanaged the QB position with EJ Manuel.

Outside of that, he was poor at the draft and worse - he had no idea how to build a team.  

IMO Whaley’s ceiling is a Director of Pro Personnel.  He was in over his head as GM and the fact that he hasn’t gotten another opportunity in the NFL over the past 5 years is probably proof

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

The difference is the QB’s.  Mahomes was not rattled by the blitz and knew where to go with the football.  Josh did not 

Also don’t underestimate the impact of KC’s defensive line which had 2 All Pro players completely beat our OL.  

• Like (+1) 1

The key to “limiting” the KC offense is getting to Mahomes rushing 4. If you sit back in zone their WRs are gonna find the holes. If you blitz Mahomes get ready to give up some huge plays. 

Fisher being out and Tampa’s pass rush is why I think Tampa can get it done. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

The FG before Half was right call.

But, things should have changed after they matched on opening drive of 3rd... At that point it was clear, they weren't stopping them and dice had to be rolled more.  An 11 point game is not out of hand even in the final 5 minutes of a game. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

I thought he clearly acknowledged that aggressive move in September followed by consistent safe ones in the afccg sends the message about which guy he is in his heart of hearts still. We will see if it was a lesson learned. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

No he isn't wrong but the Bills really don't need the opinion of this totally sub par football executive. We are doing just fine without him. It is no accident that he is out of the league and will never, ever get another job as an NFL GM.

He should stick to scouting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

So sensitive so of you

1 - he’s not wrong. Personally, I was so happy with everything this season, it’s really hard to criticize anything. I think KC was going to win no matter what we did. But Whaley isn’t wrong.

2 - if a former NFL GM isn’t allowed to voice his opinion, why can fans? It’s weird that some fans get upset about this. I know it’s crazy but Whaley might know more about football than most of you.

3 - it’s such BS how Whaley gets remembered. This year’s Josh Allen on some of the teams he put together were SB contenders too. He loaded us up with some legit rosters but ultimately, he couldn’t find a qb and that’s why he got fired. But isn’t close to as bad as some of you want him to be.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1